GDT: Columbus @ Detroit

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
This is one of your posts that I would describe as a "thought terminating cliche".

You haven't established that this blown lead or anything in recent play was Vincent's mistake.

What mistake are we even talking about here?

We never established that.

The Wings won a draw and whacked a pinball puck in in front of the net.

Then they ran a nice illegal pick in OT.
No. They won because of the way the team played the five minutes before that happened. There's only so much pressure a half-minor league team can be expected to sustain in their own end of the ice.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
No. They won because of the way the team played the five minutes before that happened. There's only so much pressure a half-minor league team can be expected to sustain in their own end of the ice.

Ok that makes sense to me.

Obviously you want to not do that. But I'm not persuaded that the Jackets have been especially bad lately at turtling or blowing leads. I watch a lot of hockey and it is comeback city all over the league. And we really haven't seen much turtling since the earlier part of the season.

Reactions: Viqsi

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Overly cautious play in the third period is a problem as old as the game itself. Perhaps coaches have tried what you're suggesting?

I'm not a fan of some of Vincent's choices but he's not some outlier among coaches in how he approaches the third period.

I think at the beginning of the year there was an extreme focus on defensive positioning that explained the turtling at that time. Then that stopped being a problem. You look at the record rate of blown leads around the league, I don't think we're exceptional at all in that regard in more recent months.
I’ve come to hate Vincent’s choices the majority of the time. Voronkov played 10:11 tonight. His line had a 17-5 shot attempt advantage, best among all lines. Of course Vincent managed Boone to assure he had only 24 minutes TOI.

Vincent has shown me no sense of feel for the game. As the season has unfolded I’ve gone from: being optimist; to having questions; to meh; to being totally accepting of Vincent being fired at seasons end. In fact I may open our best bottle of wine if that happens.

Last edited:

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I’ve come to hate Vincent’s choices the majority of the time. Voronkov played 10:11 tonight. His line had a 17-5 shot attempt advantage, best among all lines. Vincent has shown me no sense of feel for the game. As the season has unfolded I’ve gone from: being optimist; to having questions; to meh; to being totally accepting of Vincent being fired at seasons end. In fact I may open our best bottle of wine if that happens.
This goes to something major said earlier that I agree with - this decision is highly questionable. Vincent would rather play a bunch of minor leaguers instead of Voronkov when his team is only up a goal?!?

And yeah, I want the new GM to purge this entire coaching staff.

The Four Seven

You encountered Negative Man!
Feb 3, 2009
Central Ohio
While we've seen this song and dance literally 14 times previously this season (I checked), and I will absolutely join in on any bottle-popping when Vincent receives his pink slip, I'm not terribly bothered by this. I'm probably about to perform some kind of blasphemy by saying this after all these years on this board, but I'm rooting for Detroit to pull themselves together. They've kind of become my alternate team since the home team's been so atrocious recently, not to mention that I have a partner now who's got family in Michigan.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I’ve come to hate Vincent’s choices the majority of the time. Voronkov played 10:11 tonight. His line had a 17-5 shot attempt advantage, best among all lines. Of course Vincent managed Boone to assure he had only 24 minutes TOI.

Vincent has shown me no sense of feel for the game. As the season has unfolded I’ve gone from: being optimist; to having questions; to meh; to being totally accepting of Vincent being fired at seasons end. In fact I may open our best bottle of wine if that happens.

I'm also ready to let Vincent go.

I'll say though that even the stuff I find most obviously wrong - breaking up the Russians and pushing them down the lineup - is not unusual. Torts was still playing Bjorkstrand ten a night when he was already one of our best two way players. He rarely trusted first and second year players.

Vincent is a normal coach. Not a good one, but he's normal.

Reactions: MoeBartoli and LJ7

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
I had the worst day of my life today and I was hoping for one little bright spot tonight with a struggling Wings team and that happens.

I was even thinking about going to this particular game but seeing on twitter how the wings treated some of our fans I don't think I'll ever go to a game outside Nationwide or Rocket Mortgage.

Today's lesson people suck and being a blue jackets fan is pain.

Cheddarcheese

Oct 24, 2023
I had the worst day of my life today and I was hoping for one little bright spot tonight with a struggling Wings team and that happens.

I was even thinking about going to this particular game but seeing on twitter how the wings treated some of our fans I don't think I'll ever go to a game outside Nationwide or Rocket Mortgage.

Today's lesson people suck and being a blue jackets fan is pain.
Im sorry you had an awful day.

winning doesn't matter rn. we are playing without a ton of players ( Fantilli, laine, China, Danforth, Kuraly, Bovist and KJ )

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Although I did like Johnnys fire and emotion after what happened, I do think another leader (Jenner or Gudbranson) should have prevented him from approaching the ref. He could get suspended for abuse of official.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Although I did like Johnnys fire and emotion after what happened, I do think another leader (Jenner or Gudbranson) should have prevented him from approaching the ref. He could get suspended for abuse of official.
If the league is that soft at taking criticism there is no hope. If there were to issue punishment that severe when they should damn well know they f'd up it would be even bigger BS.

Even so, he could probably use a couple of nights off with the family. His wallet would survive.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

But what bottle will you have left for celebration when CBJ GM Rick Nash hires Jared Boll as HC?

• Haha
Reactions: MoeBartoli

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad