Goalies currently under contract:

Sergei Bobrovsky
Curtis McElhinney (one year, 1-way)
Mike McKenna (one year, 2-way)
Jeremy Smith (one year, 2-way)
Anton Forsberg (ELC)

Total players under contract: 47/50
Number of slide risks: 0

In other words, there's no room to do so. There's two spots that would need to be cleared anyway to sign the rest of the 2012 draft class

You're using this argument again? That no trades are possible between now and the start of the season?

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Because preferring a former Vezina winner over a career journeyman as a backup is a bad thing? :help:

You're the one jumping to conclusions by concluding that I'm jumping to conclusions over 1 1/2 periods of .818 goaltending.

Save the condescension for the regular season.

hey, these guys need practice too :)

I remember watching a few of McElhinney's Ducks' starts...ugly. The concept of him starting even 10 games scares the hell out of me. I have no idea what they're thinking with him as the sole backup but I hope they're right, or that there's a really good plan B.

JrussJacket

May 26, 2004
Twitter @jrusscbj
I don't know, because it's pre-season and virtually all teams rotate goalies since the games matter for essentially nothing.

I here ya, I just dont have an issue with it. Thats what their coaching staff chooses. Jeremy Smith went the entire game last night. Great practice for our younger guys going against Ward for full game.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
hey, these guys need practice too :)

I remember watching a few of McElhinney's Ducks' starts...ugly. The concept of him starting even 10 games scares the hell out of me. I have no idea what they're thinking with him as the sole backup but I hope they're right, or that there's a really good plan B.

I'm with you. Even if the plan is for only 10 games - we missed the playoffs by 1 point last season. There are no points to be wasted on ugly performances. And has been stated elsewhere, you have to account for a potential injury to Bob, Bob not being superhuman again, etc. Feels an awful lot like Labbe, Dubliewicz, Prusek, et al.

Disappointed that Jarmo pulled a Howson (see Dekanich, Mark).

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I'm with you. Even if the plan is for only 10 games - we missed the playoffs by 1 point last season. There are no points to be wasted on ugly performances. And has been stated elsewhere, you have to account for a potential injury to Bob, Bob not being superhuman again, etc. Feels an awful lot like Labbe, Dubliewicz, Prusek, et al.

Disappointed that Jarmo pulled a Howson (see Dekanich, Mark).

Oh god... The season hasn't even started yet and we're already calling McElhinney the next Dekanich. :shakehead

HoldFast13

DESTROY!!!!
Oct 23, 2010
Columbus OH
True, but Jeremy Smith isn't our No. 1 Goalie, even though it seemed like he did a fine job in Minny. Off the subject I have to say it sounds like Springy should be set up quite well with a McKenna-Smith tandem.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Oh god... The season hasn't even started yet and we're already calling McElhinney the next Dekanich. :shakehead

Career minor leaguer who didn't play a game in the NHL last season is being asked to backup our supposed #1 goalie......tell me again why this sounds familiar?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Career minor leaguer who didn't play a game in the NHL last season is being asked to backup our supposed #1 goalie......tell me again why this sounds familiar?

Except this time, he's not a career minor leaguer with only 1 NHL game under his belt. This time he's a real backup goalie with 50+ games in the league.

JACKETfan

Real Blue Jacketfan
Mar 18, 2006
Tampa
Nice to see a comeback.

Who is this Boone Jenner?
My stat woman tells me he was on ice for all 5 of our goals over yesterday and today.
The boy's "got his freak on" for sure.

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
Haha, way to battle back boys. One McBackup bails out the other.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008

Steady...don't get too worked up. anything can change and it is a preseason roster, after all, so we'll see - we're just having a discussion here. it's actually sort of nice to have the largest concern be the quality of the *backup* goalie. That said, I stand by my observations of the guy the last time he was in the NHL. Hope I'm wrong, but IMO, this isn't the guy. they need a guy, but this isn't the guy.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009

Yeah, if they were intelligent they'd get someone like that Garon guy to back him up. That'll surely prevent a collapse.

Or maybe it doesn't matter who we have as our backup, if Bobrovsky sinks so does the team.

HoldFast13

DESTROY!!!!
Oct 23, 2010
Columbus OH

You're acting like the guy didn't partially carry Springfield into the playoffs last year. It's not like he did nothing to prove himself and they just grabbed a guy off the street. THAT being said....McKenna and Smith are looking like possible better choices.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
I'm not thrilled with the McBackup either, but Bob has earned the opportunity to play 70-75 games and I think he's up to it.

If Bob sucks/is injured, I think it's obvious to everyone that a McElhinney/McKenna tandem isn't going to cut it. The team will cross that bridge if it has to, but we don't know that yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad