Proposal: Columbus 1st round pick + for a 1C

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
I know they have no business being dragged into this fight but St. Louis and Pittsburgh are both basically glorified versions of Chattanooga.

As for the thread, I think lots of top six Cs will be available this off-season and Columbus will be in a good position to get one or two using cap space (about $27M), roster flexibility (no anchor or negative value contracts, young roster) and draft picks (roughly #5, 24, 26 right now pending lottery and playoffs).

SuterHaglshev

Mar 21, 2021
A number 1C for a first round pick no it doesn't work like that...

There have been MANY, MANY players drafted at #3 overall and that doesn't guarantee a #1C....
Pierre Luc Dubois and Dylan Strome are recent examples..

A #2C costs a first round pick! So, obtaining a #1C you're needing to ADD much more.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
A number 1C for a first round pick no it doesn't work like that...

There have been MANY, MANY players drafted at #3 overall and that doesn't guarantee a #1C....
Pierre Luc Dubois and Dylan Strome are recent examples..

A #2C costs a first round pick! So, obtaining a #1C you're needing to ADD much more.
Good thing the OP was a 1st +?

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
No worries.

I still can't imagine Jarmo trading the top 1st for Hertl if he can get Miller or a similar center without doing that.

That’s totally cool. But you have to understand that Hertl is just about the only reason a lot of Sharks fans even watch games. I didn’t bother watching when Hertl was injured. It’s not just that he’s a great player, and has a good attitude and a strong work ethic. He’s also just an incredibly likable human being, so even folks like me who want to rebuild have a little heartache at the mere thought of trading him. That’s why our ask is so consistently high. Could you get a player like JT Miller who produces similar numbers to Hertl for cheaper? Sure. But trading for Hertl doesn’t just mean trading for a good center or a strong hockey player or an elite playoff performer, but trading for the beating heart of an entire franchise. Even while rooting for the Sharks to tank this season for a better draft pick, even as I cursed other players for scoring goals, I was unspeakably happy to see Hertl score.

My apologies for getting all over dramatic, but that’s really how I feel about him. And on JT Miller, I’m not convinced he’s really a center, while Hertl has played nothing else since 2017.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
The comp for a late rd 1st who has yet to play a minute of ice time in North America is a hall of fame player.

Ok, then.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
That’s totally cool. But you have to understand that Hertl is just about the only reason a lot of Sharks fans even watch games. I didn’t bother watching when Hertl was injured. It’s not just that he’s a great player, and has a good attitude and a strong work ethic. He’s also just an incredibly likable human being, so even folks like me who want to rebuild have a little heartache at the mere thought of trading him. That’s why our ask is so consistently high. Could you get a player like JT Miller who produces similar numbers to Hertl for cheaper? Sure. But trading for Hertl doesn’t just mean trading for a good center or a strong hockey player or an elite playoff performer, but trading for the beating heart of an entire franchise. Even while rooting for the Sharks to tank this season for a better draft pick, even as I cursed other players for scoring goals, I was unspeakably happy to see Hertl score.

My apologies for getting all over dramatic, but that’s really how I feel about him. And on JT Miller, I’m not convinced he’s really a center, while Hertl has played nothing else since 2017.

Unlike some of my fellow CBJ fans, I would do our own first for Hertl for the exact reasons you like him. My hang up would be that he's a free agent after next season.

I'd still probably do it though. Would you guys be interested in Korpi at all as well to start in place of Jones (OT)?

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
I'd say it depends on the price.

Let's see

Wingers
Bjorkstrand
Atkinson
Laine
Nyquist
Texier
Jenner
Etc....

Check.

D-men
Jones
Werenski
Gavrikov
Some set of MDZ, Kukan, Lehtonen, other UFAs

Check.

Goalie
Elvis

Check

They have everything else. If they can get a #1C to push Domi and Roslovic down into easier roles then there's nothing missing personnel-wise. The Metro will still be a blood bath but with some good coaching they'll be in the thick of it again.

Plus Elvis plays better the more starts he gets(ie, with Korpisalo gone). And losing Domi would be addition by subtraction IMO(especially for the cap).

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
That comparable only covered his shot.
The person I quoted didn't make that narrow distinction, but duly noted.

That said, even comparing a completely unproven good but not great prospect's shot to one of, if not the best, wrist shot of the last 30+ years is a bit of prospect puffery.

Also for what it's worth, the idea that CBJ would deal Chinakhov + a 1st for Miller is really not logical in any way for them.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Is Brian Burke takin over for Jarmo? Maybe Wilson?

What exactly is a 1C going to do for the BJs? You could put McDavid on that team and they won't contend for the playoffs. If you think one player is going to change the fortunes of that group you have lost your dam mind.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

What exactly is a 1C going to do for the BJs? You could put McDavid on that team and they won't contend for the playoffs. If you think one player is going to change the fortunes of that group you have lost your dam mind.
I dunno, they took down the Leafs with Dubois. Mcdavid doubled his points in 55 games played. And now he has Laine on his wing? Which would completely free up Jones and Z to play much more aggressive and join up and try to create offense.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

You know that they made the playoffs 4 years in a row right?

This team is closer to the top than it is the bottom. If you don't believe that you must not have been watching much hockey in the past two years. One player literally turned them from a dark horse Cup contender (Panarin) to a lower bubble team, and then another player (Dubois) turned them from a lower bubble team to a bottom one. Yeah they bottomed out this year and things look grim right now with potential to get worse, but if Jones and Werenski stay and sign this summer, you'll see the Jackets back at the playoff bubble next year. Mark it down.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Unlike some of my fellow CBJ fans, I would do our own first for Hertl for the exact reasons you like him. My hang up would be that he's a free agent after next season.

I'd still probably do it though. Would you guys be interested in Korpi at all as well to start in place of Jones (OT)?

I want Hertl A LOT, but I wouldn't even consider moving the top pick if he doesn't want to extend with the Jackets. One year of him doesn't do enough to chart a new course.

Reactions: cslebn

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I feel like there could be quite a few top 6 C's made available this off season. For teams like the Blue Jackets and the Wild it might be easier to find those pieces than normal.

Top 6 C potentially available in a trade:
Ryan Strome: Still inexpensive and producing - Rags might want to keep him until one of the young guys proves a little more
Dylan Strome: Maybe losing his top 6 luster, but a team with wingers and a spot open on their top 6 C this could be a buy low option.
JT Miller: Has shown that he can play top line C with Pettersson out this season, good on the draw
Eichel: rumors have it he wants out - expensive but the best pure C potentially available
Reinhart: Hinted he might want out - played primarily wing in the NHL but had a decent year at C this season and played only C in junior
Monahan: Calgary will make some changes, unfortunately for CBJ or Wild they probably need a C back
Kuznetsov: Capitals have expressed some frustration with him, rumored he might be available
Duchene/Johansen: Sort of been there done that for the Jackets and at their cap hits there may not be much interest
Couture: The Sharks would be wise to move on from some of their long term contracts. This is one that might get a return from a C needy team
Hertl: If the Sharks are going re-build, re-tool, re-set, re-what-ever he may be an option, but given his age and contract I imagine the return would be high
Valardi/Turcotte: This is just my opinion - given their young C depth the Kings may consider moving one of their future stud C's for the right return. Unlikely, but there is potential.

Free Agent C's:
RNH: I see him returning to the Oilers, but he is the best "free" C option out there this year IMHO
Krejci: At 35/36 might be getting too old to shoulder a #1 C role but he had a pretty good year this season so he will have some interest from around the league. His age prevent him from being a teams long term solution
Danault: More of a #3C or a #2Cb (play on the 1A/1B goalie designations) but has played top 6 C for the past 3 seasons in Montreal. Not the prototypical top 6 C but an option that only costs money not other assets.

I'm sure there are others and of coarse not all of these players will be traded, but it definitely feels like there are options out there this off season.
If the rangers get Eichel CBJ should come hard after Zibanejad. He has a NMC but I’d bet he’d waive if there was a long term like 6yr 60 mill extension that was agreed on previously. Similar to stone when he was dealt

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If the rangers get Eichel CBJ should come hard after Zibanejad. He has a NMC but I’d bet he’d waive if there was a long term like 6yr 60 mill extension that was agreed on previously. Similar to stone when he was dealt

Not sure if I'd want to lock into that contract. He's only valuable when he's a scoring machine. Maybe if the trade cost is low enough.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
I dunno, they took down the Leafs with Dubois. Mcdavid doubled his points in 55 games played. And now he has Laine on his wing? Which would completely free up Jones and Z to play much more aggressive and join up and try to create offense.
I'm glad you still have hope. But realistically the BJs are as good as the Wings. I'm a Wings fan but that's not a good thing.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
You know that they made the playoffs 4 years in a row right?

This team is closer to the top than it is the bottom. If you don't believe that you must not have been watching much hockey in the past two years. One player literally turned them from a dark horse Cup contender (Panarin) to a lower bubble team, and then another player (Dubois) turned them from a lower bubble team to a bottom one. Yeah they bottomed out this year and things look grim right now with potential to get worse, but if Jones and Werenski stay and sign this summer, you'll see the Jackets back at the playoff bubble next year. Mark it down.
Closer to the top than the bottom? They finished 27th in the league they were -50 in goal diff. Who is this payer who is going to close this gap? Are you thinking a FA wants to go into that mess? Or are you banking on Jarmo ripping off another GM in a trade? Will Texier live up to 1/10 of the hype BJ fans were giving him early this season? Or are they going to get back into it because they made the playoffs 4 years ago? I think you are delusional.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Closer to the top than the bottom? They finished 27th in the league they were -50 in goal diff. Who is this payer who is going to close this gap? Are you thinking a FA wants to go into that mess? Or are you banking on Jarmo ripping off another GM in a trade? Will Texier live up to 1/10 of the hype BJ fans were giving him early this season? Or are they going to get back into it because they made the playoffs 4 years ago? I think you are delusional.

You need better reading comprehension. They’ve made the playoffs four years in a ROW not AGO.

They lost both goalies at different points of the year to an injury. They lost their best center early in the season. They had a sudden retirement. Max Domi was bad. It was literally a downhill rolling season. Are they good? Clearly not, at least right now, on paper. Are they going to make the playoffs next year? In the ridiculously hard eastern conference and metro division, probably not. But you make it seem like this is what we’ve come to expect from the jackets when only like 5-6 teams have won more regular season games than them in the past 5 years.

Not one single player is going to make the difference. There is no Panarin or Tavares in free agency this year. But let’s just say for devils advocates sake that the jackets pull of an Eichel trade and he’s healthy. A top six of Nyquist, Eichel, Laine, Roslovic, Bjorkstrand, and Domi/Atkinson is pretty solid.

Give the jackets a top six center, not even a top liner like Eichel just a top six guy, and they’re an immensely improved team and on the playoff bubble. They need to handle this summer well to get it there of course but this team isn’t as bad as it finished.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00