Proposal: Columbus 1st round pick + for a 1C

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I was wondering if this could be a possibility? Which 1C or borderline 1C could be available for the following package:

Columbus is very likely to select top 5 this year, but I feel it’s unlikely Beniers will be available unless we win the lottery, so I wouldn’t completely rule out that the pick can’t be traded along with prospects or some roster players.

A top line center is the biggest goal this off season to try to revive Laine and I feel Jarmo can trade any pick we have this draft

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
I know been there done that but Ryan Johanson and Laine would be amazing together. Johansson is a good 2way player with amazing vision. He can put the puck on Laines tape.

Definitely not worth that 1st

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
CBJ should just make a package for Eichel, because I'm not sure their 1st round pick gets them a 1C by itself.

Reactions: TFHockey

Spargon

May 31, 2019
If you talk to buffalo fans, we don't have the assets to get Eichel.

Every teams fans say that about their stars. HF always expects prime assets worth 2-3x the value of the player they giving up and scoff at any proposals less then that.

Reality is trades like this will almost always feel disappointing at the time its done, but sometimes those lesser pieces work out better, see Ottawa and Karlsson to San Jose

Reactions: L13 and go4hockey

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Every teams fans say that about their stars. HF always expects prime assets worth 2-3x the value of the player they giving up and scoff at any proposals less then that.

Reality is trades like this will almost always feel disappointing at the time its done, but sometimes those lesser pieces work out better, see Ottawa and Karlsson to San Jose
Not many deals include a young top 10 1C signed for many more years.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
It is hard to get a legitimate 1C. Obviously every team wants a good 1C and they don't want to trade them. Even when they have two they still keep them like the Pens with Crosby and Malkin. Good luck trying to find one. Sometimes you can if a Center is unhappy and forces a trade but it won't be easy to get one.

You guys had one and traded it away. I said right from the start that it was a bad trade for the Bluejackets. I knew it wasn't a good fit. If you had another center that could play on the top line then it was good value. It is never a good idea to trade your only legit top line center even if the players coming back are equal or better value.

Same thing for number 1 defensman. If you have a legit number 1 you are not trading them.

Reactions: SuterHaglshev

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I've seen a lot of this lately - is there a reason why Columbus is being singled out as being a place no one wants to play? I don't understand it. I get the Torts effect on some players but I've been to Columbus and it's amazing. I don't get the hate.

It's pure perception. The city is popular among Jackets and ex-Jackets.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Obviously Eichel will be out of reach if they are getting Byfield++ offers for him, as Sabres fans seem to think.

In that case the Jackets are better off going for next tier guys who are likely to be moved - Sam Reinhart, J.T. Miller, Tomas Hertl - and/or UFA targets like Krejci, RNH, and Danault. I could write forever on what the right price is for each of these players, but the point is that there are many ways for the Jackets to upgrade at center that don't involve forking over high picks and monster packages.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Miller for Chinakhov + Tor 1st + CBJ 2nd

I haven't done extensive homework on Miller or anything so I can't say for sure what he would be worth to the Jackets. But this would certainly be something for the Jackets to consider. The other concept is a Laine-Miller swap that some Canucks fans preferred, which I might also prefer to giving up this package.

Reactions: koteka

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
I haven't done extensive homework on Miller or anything so I can't say for sure what he would be worth to the Jackets. But this would certainly be something for the Jackets to consider. The other concept is a Laine-Miller swap that some Canucks fans preferred, which I might also prefer to giving up this package.
In a vacuum I'd be interested in Laine but we have Benning at the helm. The only reason I'm interested in trading someone like Miller is to try and push the value he currently brings down the road to some later date where we have someone not named Benning at the helm. I don't trust Benning to navigate Laine's performance problems or the cap complications he brings successfully.

Reactions: majormajor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad