Prospect Info: Colorado Avalanche Prospect Poll #3

• Thread starter Granlund2Pulkkinen*
  • Start date

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
20 spots later, Vancouver drafts Alexander Edler. At #127 in the fourth round NYRs draft Ryan Callahan, 9 spots later after we drafted the great Kevin Porter at #119.

Our first pick that year at #21 was Wolski as well, lol.

We were great at drafting back then huh? :help:

Coyotes drafted Porter.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Honestly, if you don't pick Siemens here I'm not sure you could even adequately defend yourself. The closest player should be Elliott only because he's had some NHL exposure to prove he's not a total bust.

Siemens
Elliott
Bigras
Pickard
Sgarbossa
Aittokallio

That's what I'm thinking just looking at the list as is right now.

I'd take Smith over Heard going forward in terms of potential, I see a #4 center in Heard and nothing more. I'd also take Beaupre on this list before Heard.

So add Smith, then Beaupre.

E: And does anyone have any reason to put Martin ahead of Patterson/Millan as of right now?

What are you talking about? Personally I voted Elliott and I don't think it's that out of reach. He was great player in juniors and he has great upside. Siemens is more safe pick.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Elliott

Add: Condon

Elliott has the highest ceiling of any of our defensive prospects, but probably has the most risk compared to Barrie, Siemens, and Bigras.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I voted for Stefan Elliott but it was hard deciding between each of the three defensemen.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
What are you talking about? Personally I voted Elliott and I don't think it's that out of reach. He was great player in juniors and he has great upside. Siemens is more safe pick.

I said I don't think there is an adequate argument against picking Siemens here.

Siemens has #2/3 upside and has played very well through juniors. He's the defensively superior physical force that could really stabilize our defense. Elliott is an offensive dynamo that isn't going to play defense well enough to ever quite be more than a #3/4 defender, which isn't a bad thing at all.

If given the choice between a defensive stalwart that skates very well and can destroy people physically and a 40-50 point offensive PMD that isn't good enough for top pairing defensive assignments, I'd take the defensive dman everyday.

That's what I've pegged them at. And as a huge Elliott supporter, I think it's a fair assessment so far. The only edge Elliott has outside of that is he has been exposed to the NHL more, demonstrating he's able to play at the level whereas Siemens hasn't.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I said I don't think there is an adequate argument against picking Siemens here.

Siemens has #2/3 upside and has played very well through juniors. He's the defensively superior physical force that could really stabilize our defense. Elliott is an offensive dynamo that isn't going to play defense well enough to ever quite be more than a #3/4 defender, which isn't a bad thing at all.

If given the choice between a defensive stalwart that skates very well and can destroy people physically and a 40-50 point offensive PMD that isn't good enough for top pairing defensive assignments, I'd take the defensive dman everyday.

That's what I've pegged them at. And as a huge Elliott supporter, I think it's a fair assessment so far. The only edge Elliott has outside of that is he has been exposed to the NHL more, demonstrating he's able to play at the level whereas Siemens hasn't.

I think you are selling Elliott short a bit. He has and will continue to have defensive issues, but those can mitigated by giving him a great defensive partner. I think he can become a good #2 in the Brian Campbell form.

Also, nothing against Siemens, but he had about a 1 1/4 seasons of fairly poor play before he turned it on this season. I think he can be a 2/3 shutdown defensemen, but he still has a ways too go.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I think you are selling Elliott short a bit. He has and will continue to have defensive issues, but those can mitigated by giving him a great defensive partner. I think he can become a good #2 in the Brian Campbell form.

Also, nothing against Siemens, but he had about a 1 1/4 seasons of fairly poor play before he turned it on this season. I think he can be a 2/3 shutdown defensemen, but he still has a ways too go.

Must be a different opinion on what a #2 is then, because any defender which you couldn't trust on your #1 PK I don't consider top pairing unless they are exceptional elsewhere (Karlsson) and Elliott while he could learn to play positional defense ala Campbell or Liles before we moved him, still will not quite be effective enough defensively be a top pairing guy.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Must be a different opinion on what a #2 is then, because any defender which you couldn't trust on your #1 PK I don't consider top pairing unless they are exceptional elsewhere (Karlsson) and Elliott while he could learn to play positional defense ala Campbell or Liles before we moved him, still will not quite be effective enough defensively be a top pairing guy.

Campbell is easily top pairing IMO. Elliott is capable of developing sort of defense (Campbell level) and some PK time (on the 2nd unit) as time goes on. He will never be an anchor, but he shouldn't be when EJ, Hejda, Sarich, and Wilson are on the team.

Many top pairing offensive defensemen are not big PK players.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Campbell is easily top pairing IMO. Elliott is capable of developing sort of defense (Campbell level) and some PK time (on the 2nd unit) as time goes on. He will never be an anchor, but he shouldn't be when EJ, Hejda, Sarich, and Wilson are on the team.

There is a difference between playing PK and being capable of playing PK is all I meant. Can I trust my top pairing defender to shutdown the other team's top line? If the answer is no, I'm not very inclined to anoint them a #1/2.

Campbell only became a 'top pairing' defender once he showed superior offensive skills in Florida. In Chicago he was always a really good #2/3 with average defensive skills. Those types are tweeners, not good enough in one area to be a real top pairing guy and good enough to be at the top of the 2nd pairings in the league.

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
Siemens. Will be a top pairing defender one day.. or so I hope.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
So out of the top 5 prospects we might have 3 or 4 defensemen. While that excites me, it also makes me cringe. It’s time for this organization to put up or shut up with developing defensemen. There’s an abundance of talent there no matter how you look at it. They’ve got to propel 1-2 of these guys into legitimate top 4 d-men to get over the hill and take it to the next level. I think it’s pretty obvious the offense is going to be there. Maybe need a winger but that’s a luxury you pick up at the deadline or in FA when you’re ready and confident you can make a deep playoff run.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

So out of the top 5 prospects we might have 3 or 4 defensemen. While that excites me, it also makes me cringe. It’s time for this organization to put up or shut up with developing defensemen. There’s an abundance of talent there no matter how you look at it. They’ve got to propel 1-2 of these guys into legitimate top 4 d-men to get over the hill and take it to the next level. I think it’s pretty obvious the offense is going to be there. Maybe need a winger but that’s a luxury you pick up at the deadline or in FA when you’re ready and confident you can make a deep playoff run.

If we do hold onto our pick next year, and god forbid we are drafting top 10.... Nick Ritchie and Blake Clarke would be great winger prospects to develop.

AdamCalderHero

Jul 20, 2010
Coventry, England
I went with Elliot because I still believe he can become that Mike Green (good version) type of defender except maybe slightly better defence and slightly worse offence. A game changing defenceman.

Stories

Science!
Sep 10, 2006
Los Angeles, CA

Lucky for us, Elliott is a little bit bigger than both Campbell and Liles, so he has one advantage over those guys. Now, he just needs to learn to actually play defense.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Voted Siemens since he's safer, yet I think Elliott has a higher ceiling. Elliott has the offensive potential to explode soon, we just need him to improve his defense.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I thought NHL teams indefinitely held onto their Russian prospects now?

They do. But Parshin is signed in the KHL thru 2014. My point was that if he came across that might be an opportune time. Unfortunately though, he's going to be like 29/30 by that time. I think it's safe to say he's never coming.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Siemens

Elliott already a bust, let's see if Siemens is another one

Add Smith

I've been harder on him than most and I don't believe he will be anything special but it's still early to call him a bust. I'm willing to give him this year before completely writing him off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad