Prospect Info: Colorado Avalanche Prospect Poll #3

• Thread starter Granlund2Pulkkinen*
  • Start date

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Let's get this going... I'm thinking let polls run for 3 days... Try to get the top 20 made - 60 days of polling. This puts us at August 31, 2013 when the #20 poll closes, just in time for TC/PS. I decided to make Nathan MacKinnon Consensus #1 because, quite frankly if you don't think he is the #1 prospect you don't know what you're talking about.

Simple Rules/How things work
1. Vote for who you think is the best prospect using your own criteria. It could either be who is the best now, the future, or both.
2. Always request to add a prospect to the list in order to replenish the list as the polling goes on
3. Always discuss these things. It gets boring if it's just Add: Malone for 30 posts until the next one comes out.

1. Nathan MacKinnon, C, Halifax Mooseheads (#1 overall, 2013 Draft) - Consensus #1
Elite Prospects Page: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=99204

2. Tyson Barrie, D, Lake Erie Monsters (#64 overall, 2009 Draft) - 71.76%
Elite Prospects Page: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=15127

Tyson-Barrie.jpg

ADDED: Brad Malone

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Was close between Bigras and Siemens for me. Went with Bigras because of the elite skating ability and high hockey IQ. I think he'll be extremely successful for us in the NHL because of how smart he is and how well he skates.

Add: Smith

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Honestly, if you don't pick Siemens here I'm not sure you could even adequately defend yourself. The closest player should be Elliott only because he's had some NHL exposure to prove he's not a total bust.

Siemens
Elliott
Bigras
Pickard
Sgarbossa
Aittokallio

That's what I'm thinking just looking at the list as is right now.

I'd take Smith over Heard going forward in terms of potential, I see a #4 center in Heard and nothing more. I'd also take Beaupre on this list before Heard.

So add Smith, then Beaupre.

E: And does anyone have any reason to put Martin ahead of Patterson/Millan as of right now?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Honestly, if you don't pick Siemens here I'm not sure you could even adequately defend yourself. The closet player should be Elliott only because he's had some NHL exposure to prove he's not a total bust.

Siemens
Elliott
Bigras
Pickard
Sgarbossa
Aittokallio

I'd take Smith over Heard going forward in terms of potential, I see a #4 center in Heard and nothing more. I'd also take Beaupre on this list before Heard.

NHL experience goes a long way in my book.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
It's an easy Siemens. The combination of size, defensive abilities and skating make him NHL ready right now. Due to his age, you can argue he still have quite a bit of untapped offensive potential as well. I think he grows into that in time.

Elliot isn't a prospect in my book (I don't know why we can't cut that off when they lose rookie eligibility). Even then, he has stalled out, and I have yet to be wowed by his offensive abilities. Hopefully he can start to put it together soon.

Other guys are a step behind here. I think Duncan is going to be a special player. Even if he never develops an offensive edge to his game, he still has the makings of a 22 minutes/game hard nosed defensive stalwart. If he does develop offense, he will be one of the top ten defenders in the game.

Averick*

Honestly, if you don't pick Siemens here I'm not sure you could even adequately defend yourself. The closest player should be Elliott only because he's had some NHL exposure to prove he's not a total bust.

Siemens
Elliott
Bigras
Pickard
Sgarbossa
Aittokallio

E: And does anyone have any reason to put Martin ahead of Patterson/Millan as of right now?

You could make a case for Bigras based on the strength of the draft class and where the Avs had him ranked in that draft class. I think the Avs had him rated 14. People probably have a hard time processing this since its atypical.

Btw, I think there's a decent chance Siemens, Bigras, and Elliott are all with the Avs when the season starts.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

Siemens
Elliott
Bigras
Pickard
Sgarbossa
Aittokallio

I think both Hishon and bigras will endoup better than Siemens. Bigras has alk the tools and the tool box to be a great defender, I'm loving that pick.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

Siemens
Elliott
Bigras
Pickard
Sgarbossa
Aittokallio

This, except I think if it's at LW Heard has a solid chance of being an above average 3rd liner.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I think both Hishon and bigras will endoup better than Siemens. Bigras has alk the tools and the tool box to be a great defender, I'm loving that pick.

Hishon has a long way to go on his road to recovery before he should be ranked this high imho. Bigras looks like a great pickup, but he's got two less years of development than Siemens and doesn't have the physical gifts Siemens does, so presently I think it's a no brainer where to rank the two of them since Bigras' potential isn't all that much higher than Siemens'.

My opinion of course, but Hishon falls down the depth charts due to his concussions until he shows something again. Bigras is just underneath a lot of depth for now until he shows us something special.

Averick*

Hishon has a long way to go on his road to recovery before he should be ranked this high imho. Bigras looks like a great pickup, but he's got two less years of development than Siemens and doesn't have the physical gifts Siemens does, so presently I think it's a no brainer where to rank the two of them since Bigras' potential isn't all that much higher than Siemens'.

My opinion of course, but Hishon falls down the depth charts due to his concussions until he shows something again. Bigras is just underneath a lot of depth for now until he shows us something special.

Quite honestly, this might be as much about what they don't show you. A big concern with young guys is that they make costly mistakes. In the case of Bigras, being judicious was one of his big strengths. If that holds up to real NHL players, or more so than other prospects, he has a solid chance of sticking based on the notion he can keep his head and make good decisions. And then you add the fact that he's such a good skater it's even better. Being a good skater and a smart decision maker is a really good combination for restoring order to a bad situation.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

If it's about who's closest to the nhl it's Elliott but if it's who will be the best player it's Hishon/bigras. I just don't see it with Siemens.

Hishon has shown he could take a hit and seems to be fine. I think he's put the injuries issues behind him.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I went a little off the board with Sgarbossa. Probably would have gone with Hishon if not for all the injuries. I like Sgarbossa's upside. I think he will be a solid top 6 winger in the next year or two.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
add Denis Parshin - he's going to be a free agent in 2014 :sarcasm:

20 spots later, Vancouver drafts Alexander Edler. At #127 in the fourth round NYRs draft Ryan Callahan, 9 spots later after we drafted the great Kevin Porter at #119.

Our first pick that year at #21 was Wolski as well, lol.

We were great at drafting back then huh? :help:

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I really like the look of our current prospect depth chart. It's come a long way in the past 3-4 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad