Colorado Avalanche Media Coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Spamming links to articles under a paywall isn't good either. I understand why he does it but he needs a new strategy. LeBrun does it once in a while but not 10 times in 2 days.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I love how they are trying to make it out like the fans owe them this for such great coverage, and then all of the dufuses coming to their defense. Like it's some sort of honor bound thing to now pay for this past legacy of hard work they've given us for the last 22 years. Dater's letter was a joke. Like we needed more details of how much of an ass he was.

Get bent

Reactions: Foppberg

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
They need to take a few marketing courses at the local college, me thinks.
Yep. They could use the free podcast to lure people to BSN and promote the website. Yet, you rarely see them posting the podcast link and when they do, it's the shitty itune link.

So many things to learn.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I love how they are trying to make it out like the fans owe them this for such great coverage, and then all of the dufuses coming to their defense. Like it's some sort of honor bound thing to now pay for this past legacy of hard work they've given us for the last 22 years. Dater's letter was a joke. Like we needed more details of how much of an ass he was.

Get bent
I don't think they'll keep putting quality content for long when they realize that about 12 people are reading their articles. They need to find a solution to make money but that wasn't a good one.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I don't think they'll keep putting quality content for long when they realize that about 12 people are reading their articles. They need to find a solution to make money but that wasn't a good one.

Yeah, on top of it all. Dater writes a letter talking about his prior lavish life as a writer for DP, and how he has now found a new humble beginning in the trenches. Almost as if paying for a BSN subscription should be akin to giving a donation to the Humain society.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
I am disappointed to hear about TMV, I enjoy his work.

The cost is not much, but I don't believe that I will be paying it.

I appreciate Dater's and Haefele's efforts, but after listening to their podcasts for a while, they both started to annoy me. Dater reminded me that I find his opinions hit or miss, and I started to find Haefele really creepy. I don't want to disparage either of them, because you have to put food on the table in some manner, but they both kind of turned me off based on their perspective. They just view things in the game and in life in a very different manner than me.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Yeah, on top of it all. Dater writes a letter talking about his prior lavish life as a writer for DP, and how he has now found a new humble beginning in the trenches. Almost as if paying for a BSN subscription should be akin to giving a donation to the Humain society.

Lol. Always saw Dater as a glorified overhyped groupie, and this pretty much confirms it. The only thing I’ve learned now is that he was overpaid too.

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I am disappointed to hear about TMV, I enjoy his work.

The cost is not much, but I don't believe that I will be paying it.

I appreciate Dater's and Haefele's efforts, but after listening to their podcasts for a while, they both started to annoy me. Dater reminded me that I find his opinions hit or miss, and I started to find Haefele really creepy. I don't want to disparage either of them, because you have to put food on the table in some manner, but they both kind of turned me off based on their perspective. They just view things in the game and in life in a very different manner than me.

I used to really like the podcast, I'd tolerate their annoyances because the content was good but I find now that's taken a nosedive and my tolerance is gone.

I wouldn't even have a problem paying for a BSN subscription, if it was worth it. It could be $1.00/month and I still wouldn't, it's the principal of it. The way they're going about this has just turned me completely off of them. And when I say they I mean more-so Dater than AJ.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
I used to really like the podcast, I'd tolerate their annoyances because the content was good but I find now that's taken a nosedive and my tolerance is gone.

I wouldn't even have a problem paying for a BSN subscription, if it was worth it. It could be $1.00/month and I still wouldn't, it's the principal of it. The way they're going about this has just turned me completely off of them. And when I say they I mean more-so Dater than AJ.
I still like the podcast and listen to it regularly but I agree it's not as good as it was earlier. It's pretty much like some fans without additional insight talking about the games. Again, I like it but if they started to hide the podcast behind a paywall, too, I wouldn't even think about getting a sub.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
The podcast has gone downhill since Dater joined. AJ + JJ was really good and I enjoy the draft podcast with that Andre Simone dude.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Problem is they don't really do good articles. Most of what they do is recaps, player grades, etc. I've not seen a single in-depth article on BSN. Maybe I missed something. Maybe I didn't. I'll never know what I may or may not have missed but my twitter feed is free of of a bunch of stupid click bait articles with nothing substantial and I'm not losing money in the process. Win-Win...they are obviously happy without my eyeballs and I'm more than happy to not be a part of their whatever it is they want to become.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I'm interested to see what happens with BSN over the next year or so. I'd like to see them succeed but unless they get onto an Athletic type of level they won't be getting my money.

Last edited:

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I want them to merge with the Athletic so I can have only one paying subscription. I'm simply not paying for 2.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
FYI I took the free 30-day trial so we'll see how it goes.

I'd kill for Katie Brown to cover this team. Dejan Kovacevic is a cretin of the highest order, even created a Twitter account to mock her unemployment.

For the record my opinion of what makes a good sportswriter may not agree with others on this board. I'm actually a big fan of Mike Russo. :nod:

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Mike Russo is one of the best out there when he's not blinded by complete homerism. I get that every local beat writer will be a bit of a homer, but he took it to another level at times.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Suspend EJ for elbowing air!!!! I just can't respect a guy who can't use his brain every time he talks about the team he covers.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Mike Russo is one of the best out there when he's not blinded by complete homerism. I get that every local beat writer will be a bit of a homer, but he took it to another level at times.

I think that's mostly his Twitter feed, I don't really see that in his articles.

He, Portzline, and George Richards are some of my favorites. I really wish I could read Eric Stephens but his stuff is behind a paywall and I ain't paying for the Orange County Register.

Reactions: expatriated_texan

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I think that's mostly his Twitter feed, I don't really see that in his articles.

He, Portzline, and George Richards are some of my favorites. I really wish I could read Eric Stephens but his stuff is behind a paywall and I ain't paying for the Orange County Register.

Good grief the Blue Jackets are quickly becoming my second favorite organization. Not only do they have a good front office and team, they've got two of the best in print media covering them between Portzline and Richards. Gotta think their fans are really enjoying this after their first decade and a half or so.

Reactions: Pokecheque
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad