Colorado Avalanche Media Coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
And they've already started with the "drag you in" type article titles. All BSN's paywall will do to me is force me to unfollow them on twitter.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
It would be one thing if BSN had the type of journalist to pull you in and give you great in-depth information, but they really don't have that. Dater at his very best is a below average beat writer. I applaud AJ's efforts, but I don't think he is a great hockey mind or journalist. The Athletic has the huge names of Stewart Mandel, Pierre LeBrun, and Ken Rosenthal to go along with all the best local names.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Daters game day coverage was good at times. I always found it interesting that he'd put it in at the tail end of some other story though. It was pretty clear that some details just were not valued.

I'm hoping for an Athletic Denver soon too.

Who's even available that would be good for a Denver Athletic?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
The cost itself isn't an issue to me. It's the fact that a subpar company are requesting it. I currently pay for the athletic, I pay for a men's health subscription I haven't read in years, I pay $20 a year on here to simply avoid ads, I pay for a monthly music thing on my PS4 that I haven't even learned how to use since I bought the thin 4 years ago. Hell I pay $10 a month to Best Buy geek squad for a protection plan on a cell phone that I actually sold to somebody else in the spring because it's honestly just inconvenienced me too much too call and cancel.

But I refuse to pay to subscribe to BSN with the limited work they've done so far. Doesn't matter if it's $20 a month or $3 a year. Even if BSN had free services but had a little PayPal "donation" subtly listed on the bottom of their page with the option to help the guys out as they continue to grow their business I would likely pitch in a few dollars here and there. But to require everyone to pay to read their subpar work? It's laugahable.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Who's even available that would be good for a Denver Athletic?

Sadowski would be my Avs pick... but there are solid names for the whole Denver area, especially for the Broncos. Even if I don't like him, Woody Paige would be a good guy to head up a Denver branch.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Sadowski would be my Avs pick... but there are solid names for the whole Denver area, especially for the Broncos. Even if I don't like him, Woody Paige would be a good guy to head up a Denver branch.

Ryan Boulding would be my pick. Since hes worked for the team. I think he might get some better access as someone who is known, but hasn't pissed the organization off on the regular like Dater. I think I brought this up before, but I think Ryan would be more likely to travel and cover the team as well.

Either one would be good though. Both are fairly even keel, and professional.

KingSizeKirby

PLAYOFFS!?
May 26, 2011
Ontario
If you guys are looking for a new Avs podcast JJ Jerez is doing one and Ryan Boulding will be joining him as his new co-host. It’s called Avalanche Talk. I much prefer it over the BSN podcast and daters amazing analysis.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Love Woody Paige but I can't see him traveling with the team. He's got his regular gig on Around The Horn and he's so well respected that he doesn't need to cut his teeth anymore in journalism traveling for 40+ games

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Love Woody Paige but I can't see him traveling with the team. He's got his regular gig on Around The Horn and he's so well respected that he doesn't need to cut his teeth anymore in journalism traveling for 40+ games

I’m not saying as an Avs guy, but a guy who could be the main draw and headliner of a Denver branch.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
If you guys are looking for a new Avs podcast JJ Jerez is doing one and Ryan Boulding will be joining him as his new co-host. It’s called Avalanche Talk. I much prefer it over the BSN podcast and daters amazing analysis.

Yeah I'm listening now. It's a little dry to start, but I think they'll get into a rythm. Ryan needs to tell more inside the Avs stories from when he worked there.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
*LOL* It's cute that BSN think they are worth being paid for what they produced. Unfollowed them on twitter last night when I saw the pay-wall pop up. So for news on the AVs who else do y'all follow? I think I'm down to Rick Sadowski, Moser and the team's official twitter.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
*LOL* It's cute that BSN think they are worth being paid for what they produced. Unfollowed them on twitter last night when I saw the pay-wall pop up. So for news on the AVs who else do y'all follow? I think I'm down to Rick Sadowski, Moser and the team's official twitter.
Just follow the guys individually. I'm pissed at BSN in general right now but that doesn't mean I need to hate the individuals. AJ is a great twitter follow who works hard. Dater too. These guys are still going to tweet out information. They aren't going to say a major Avalanche trade just happened but you need to click a link to see who's involved.

The paywall is going to cover up the garbage articles most people don't care about. Real information is going to get leaked by the real people in hockey such as Lebrun anyway.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Not going to subscribe unless they were to get to an Athletic type level, but their app and new site do look awesome. Very clean and modern.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
BSN guys should just ask the Athletic to join them at this point. Athletic would have Denver coverage and BSN guys would have a real job. Win-win.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
The beginning of the end for BSN. There is too much free coverage for any team to justify paying for online content anywhere. Make your money like every other app/site, advertising! Free content to get us there, prove you have the clicks, get advertisers. Not a hard concept.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The beginning of the end for BSN. There is too much free coverage for any team to justify paying for online content anywhere. Make your money like every other app/site, advertising! Free content to get us there, prove you have the clicks, get advertisers. Not a hard concept.

Doesn't work well in the era of AdBlock. I have no issues with going subscription, but it needs to be worth it. The Athletic is more than worth it. BSN isn't even close. They want $5 a month if you don't go for a year. $2.92 if you go for a full year... more than I paid for The Athletic.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Doesn't work well in the era of AdBlock. I have no issues with going subscription, but it needs to be worth it. The Athletic is more than worth it. BSN isn't even close. They want $5 a month if you don't go for a year. $2.92 if you go for a full year... more than I paid for The Athletic.
How long will they continue to write articles with a handful of readers or podcasts with 10-12 downloads though? I give them 3 months.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
next time you guys see a deal on The Athletic you better give me a heads up! I'm blown away by the good press on it here.

raistlin76

Sep 18, 2004
Cracow
www.nhl.com.pl
BSN guys should just ask the Athletic to join them at this point. Athletic would have Denver coverage and BSN guys would have a real job. Win-win.
It's also my idea and I even asked Dater about that on twitter. Unfortunately he didn't bother to answer. I think it's mistake from their side. They are nowhere near The Athletic right now. I also hope The Athletic will find someone in Denver soon.

CoachBadkitten

Matt Hunwick
Jul 25, 2012
Colorado
Got the Athletic about 2 months ago and love it. I really enjoy Justin Bourne's system articles. That + HF gets it done for me. Posters like Hench and TV make this place great, let alone so many others and it's great to see so many different opinions.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
The Athletic is definitely worth it. I wasn't expecting this level of great coverage around the league to be honest and I don't even care that there's no specific Avs coverage yet. There will be soon, they're just building their brand and once this good press really starts to sink in good writers are going to want to get in on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad