Colorado Avalanche Board Fan Biographies

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Wow. Looking back on this over a decade later...I actually posted that!?!? :amazed: Man, things chanced in a hurry in that department. I feel bad even typing bad stuff about Karlis Skrastins but I don't even remember liking him so much so as to have posted this.

Haha, definitely not the most memorable Avs. Skrastins had a couple seasons of solid D, and Kariya had maybe 10 or so good games.

Toad the Wet Sprocket is another indicator of how long ago you posted this. :laugh:

ChrisNI

Sep 29, 2008
Orillia
Name: Chris
Favorite Music Artist(s): Ben Howard, Maroon 5, Creed
Favorite TV show: Hannibal, Vikings, Breaking bad, walking dead
Favorite Book(s) or Author(s): I am legend, They don't play hockey in heaven.
Favorite Av: Duchene
Favorite Ex-Av: Forsberg
Favorite non-Av: Iginla
Next or other favorite team: Brother is a bruins fan so I keep a lot of tabs on them
How else is hockey in your life?: Started playing in 2001 in Belfast, Northern Ireland (we have 1 rink in the whole country). Have played for Ireland at several world championships in New Zealand, Croatia and Turkey. Have coached for the last 5 years. Moved to Canada in 2012 and have only been playing pickup maybe once a week.
Favorite Av moment: This season has been up there with the best of them! 29th in the league to being among the best in the league is unreal!
How and when did you become an Av fan?: 2001 It was my first year dealing with hockey and I really liked the Avs colours and players so I started to support them. They won the cup in my first year so I took that as a sign! :laugh: been a supporter since.

Lappy14

Apr 15, 2014
Loveland, CO.
Hi there...
Can you hear me?

Hello...hello...
Can you hear me now?

Oh hey,
I'm a long time listener and first time caller.
I'd like to request a song, could you play "Stairway to Heaven" by Led Zeppelin...please?
What do you mean you don't take requests or play songs?
Uh, this is a radio station isn't it?
Wrong number?
That's impossible, I know I dialed 1-800-WKRP in Cincinnati.

.......click.......

Hello...hello?
Oh well...nevermind.

Since I'm already here, I might as well:

Name: Alan
Age: 61 (Yeah, you young whippersnappers, go ahead & laugh)
Favorite Music Artist(s): Way too many to list. Suffice it to say my "go to" is always classic rock. Pretty much anything except hip-hop (rap crap) or gospel.
Favorite TV show: Colorado Avalanche, they have 82 episodes per season.
Oh, did you mean non-hockey related? It's a 3 way tie. A) The Big Bang Theory B) Person of Interest C) The Blacklist
All Time Favorite TV show: M*A*S*H
Favorite Book(s) or Author(s): Lord of the Rings trilogy
Favorite Av: Radar O'Reilly/Cody McLeod
Favorite Ex-Av: Another tie Foote/Blake/Bourque
Favorite All Time Av: Ian Laperrière (If there's a player with more Courage/Heart/Work Ethic than Lappy, I have yet to see him)
Favorite non-Av: Luc Robitaille or Wayne Gretzky
Next or other favorite team: Los Angeles Kings
How else is hockey in your life?: Colorado Eagles
Favorite Av moment: There are a TON of them. The one that sticks out... After Lappy went to the Flyers and he came back to Denver to play against the Avs he and Cody McLeod were dancing around like they were gonna fight right in front us and we all started yelling "No, don't do it!"

I don't post often, but hopefully, it's at least somewhat interesting when I do.

Last edited:

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Name: Reece

Occupation: Biomedical Specimen Technician. fancy name for getting stuff ready for Lab Tech's.

Favoite Music Artist(s): Incubus, 3rd Eye Blind, The Used, yada yada. starting to like Billy Talent as well.
Favorite TV show: That 70's Show, Family Guy
Favorite Book(s) or Author(s): John Grisham novels, Vertical Run by Joseph Garber.

Favorite Av: Forsberg
Favorite Ex-Av: Chris Drury
Favorite non-Av: Todd Bertuzzi

Next or other favorite team: Vancouver is a good team. if the Avs are out, i cheer for the Nucks.

How else is hockey in your life?: i play hockey most saturday nights in MJ, i'm not very good. I'm an excellent passer and stick-handler, and i'd like to think i'm a feisty little player (5-11, 170), but I have trouble getting a good shot off, especially in motion, and my skills aren't very well displayed come game time. i can hit pretty good for my size though.

Favorite Av moment: i quit watching the playoffs after the Avs lost Game 5 to NJ in 2001, b/c i was going up north for a canoe trip. on the way back 3 days later, i found out that the Avs had won Game 6 4-0, and the whole class listened to Game 7 on the way back on the bus radio. what a great game that was. "3...2...1...THE PERFECT SEASON IS OVER!!!"

How and when did you become an Av fan?: actually, i started following them in 97-98, the year they lost to the Oilers in the first round, so i can't be called a bandwagon jumper...

Holy **** this was 10 years ago. I am old.

Reactions: Murzu

PepsiCenterMagic

Food is Great
Jul 17, 2013
Name: Andrew
Favorite Music Artists: Rush, Boston, Van Halen, U2, 5 Finger Death Punch, ZEP
Favorite TV Show: The Walking Dead/Zoey 101/ Man Vs. Food
Favorite Movie: The Fellowship Of The Ring
Favorite Book: The Hobbit
Favorite Town: Ouray, CO
Favorite Activities: Mountain biking, tolf, making music, eating at great dives, doing everything by myself (I like my alone time)
Favorite Food: Quacomole, Quesadillas, Rolls, Spaghetti @ meatballs, Calzones, Joel's Bratwursts (on wynkoop walkway by Coors Field), Fish & Rice, Tamale Kitchen Breakfast Burritos
Favorite All-time Av: Peter Forsberg
Favorite Current Av: Gabriel Landeskog/Nathan MacKinnon
Favorite Non-Av: Jaromir Jagr
Next To Other Team: Columbus Blue Jackets
How Else Is Hockey In My Life: It isn't. I can't play :(
Favorite Av Moment: Has to be 2001 Game 7. Sakic passing off the Cup
How and When Became Av Fan?: As long as I can remember. Family watched games

PepsiCenterMagic

Food is Great
Jul 17, 2013

Name: Alan
Age: 61 (Yeah, you young whippersnappers, go ahead & laugh)
Favorite Music Artist(s): Way too many to list. Suffice it to say my "go to" is always classic rock. Pretty much anything except hip-hop (rap crap) or gospel.
Favorite TV show: Colorado Avalanche, they have 82 episodes per season.
Oh, did you mean non-hockey related? It's a 3 way tie. A) The Big Bang Theory B) Person of Interest C) The Blacklist
All Time Favorite TV show: M*A*S*H
Favorite Book(s) or Author(s): Lord of the Rings trilogy
Favorite Av: Radar O'Reilly/Cody McLeod
Favorite Ex-Av: Another tie Foote/Blake/Bourque
Favorite All Time Av: Ian Laperrière (If there's a player with more Courage/Heart/Work Ethic than Lappy, I have yet to see him)
Favorite non-Av: Luc Robitaille or Wayne Gretzky
Next or other favorite team: Los Angeles Kings
How else is hockey in your life?: Colorado Eagles
Favorite Av moment: There are a TON of them. The one that sticks out... After Lappy went to the Flyers and he came back to Denver to play against the Avs he and Cody McLeod were dancing around like they were gonna fight right in front us and we all started yelling "No, don't do it!"

I don't post often, but hopefully, it's at least somewhat interesting when I do.

We match up pretty closely.

PepsiCenterMagic

Food is Great
Jul 17, 2013
Been here for a while but never introduced myself.

Name: Rohan
Favorite Music Artist: Opeth, Deftones, The National, Ulcerate, Thrice
Favorite TV show: Game of Thrones, How I Met Your Mother
Favorite Avs: Ryan O'reilly
Favorite Ex-Avs: Joe Sakic
Favorite non-Av: Ryan Getzlaf, Jonathan Toews
Next favorite team: None
Favorite Av moment: Uwe Krupp's 96 Game Winner
Least Favorite Avs moment: Game 6&7 Against Detroit in 2002 Playoffs
How and when did you become an Avs fan: Whole family followed their Nordiques allegience

Your name is awesome. (Muster the Rohirrim!)

PepsiCenterMagic

Food is Great
Jul 17, 2013
It really surprises me how many users are under 25. It really does. I don't think any of my friends would go on a blog and discuss sports. Or go on a blog period.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
You guys make me feel old and I'm only 33. I guess that's getting old. I'm impressed so many of you young guys are fans. The glory years have been a while. I wasn't even an "avid" fan back then myself. You guys were like 10 and under back then.

linusandvarlamov

GO AVS GO !
Apr 2, 2014
Paris, France
Name: Alex

Favoite Music Artist(s): I like a bit of everything (no artists in particular)

Favorite TV show: The Americans, How I Met Your Mother

Favorite Book(s) or Author(s): Jack London, Dostoyevsky, Tolstoy

Favorite Av: Nathan Mackinnon

Favorite Ex-Av: Joe Sakic

Favorite non-Av: Mitch Marner

Next or other favorite team: Toronto Maple Leafs

Favorite Avs moment: Stanley Cup 2001 --> Ray Bourque lifting the cup. 2 years before I left Denver ! One of the best moments of my life ! I was 9 years old.

How and when did you become an Avs fan?: I was about 7 years old and my dad took me to my first hockey game in my life. It was a season game at the McNichols Sports arena : Coyotes v.s. Avalanche (the coyotes had those old version jerseys with the entire body of the Coyote on it). I was interested in the game but hated the noise in the stadium :laugh:.

The playoff run in 2001 was the period of time where I became an official fan of the team. I watched all their games starting from the point where they faced the Kings in round 2. Lots of amazing memories from that point on. For the 2001-2002 season, I'd always run down every morning to pick up the newspaper and look at the scores and standings. My grandfather would tape a lot of the games on VHS (and the ones he'd give me, I'd watch them over and over :laugh:). I always tried to get myself to the Pepsi center during the regular season (either through friends or begging my dad). I probably went to the pepsi center about 5-6 times from 2001-2003. I never ever got to go to a playoff game in my life. I've never really been interested in any other sport than hockey. I don't like football, baseball. I don't really enjoy soccer.

How else is hockey in your life?: Once I started following the Avs, I joined a roller hockey team (the Badgers - we had green jerseys and all :laugh: and I wore number 23 just like Hejduk ; I was very proud of that back at the time). I played left wing and was a very good skater, a decent passer and a horrible goal scorer (was never able to flip the puck with my stick and elevate it which got me very angry sometimes :laugh:). The first season, we got eliminated in the tournament after the regular season. The second season, we went undefeated and won the cup. The third year I played; we lost in one of the early rounds of the tournament. I really enjoyed being on that team. Never played hockey again.

I also used to also play hockey in my basement with my brother in Denver. We had a small net and we'd have a blast (spent an enormous amount of time down there).

Shoots: Left

Position: Left Wing

Last edited:

Wadzi

Jul 13, 2014
Queens, NY
Hello!

Name: Trey
Favorite Music Artist(s): Opeth, Tool, Dillinger Escape Plan, Porcupine Tree, Led Zeppelin, Aesop Rock
Favorite TV show: The Wire, Top Gear, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Favorite Book(s) or Author(s): A Canticle for Liebowitz, The Stars My Destination, Vonnegut, Gaiman, David Foster Wallace, Arthur Machen...and many others
Favorite Av: Duchene
Favorite Ex-Av: Forsberg, Drury
Favorite non-Av: Giroux, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Kopitar
Next or other favorite team: Red Wings, Flyers, Lightning
How else is hockey in your life?: Played a bit as a kid. Obsessive about fantasy hockey.
Favorite Av moment: Uwe Krupp scoring in 3OT in the '96 SCF.
LEAST favorite Av moment: Watching Forsberg visibly struggle during his final comeback.
How and when did you become an Av fan?: Grew up in CO and jumped on the bandwagon during their first season.

melly451

Jun 27, 2011
Michigan
Name: David
Favorite Music Artist(s): Linkin Park, Rise Against, Thirty Seconds to Mars
Favorite TV show: The Office, Futurama, Arrow
Favorite Book(s) or Author(s): Don't really have one
Favorite Av: Barrie, Duchene
Favorite Ex-Av: Sakic, Stasnty
Favorite non-Av: Parise, Skinner, Yzerman
Next or other favorite team: Devils
How else is hockey in your life?: Played when I was younger, nowadays I'm pretty obsessed with hockey in general.
Favorite Av moment: Was too young to remember any of the cup wins, so my favorite moment was when Duchene scored in the shootout to clinch a playoff spot in 2010
LEAST favorite Av moment: I was in 2nd grade and I was the only Colorado fan in my class considering where I live. It was the 2002 Western Conference Finals. My teacher bet me if the Wings beat Colorado, she would buy me a hat and I would have to wear it to class everyday. Lets just say it wasn't such a fun year the rest of the way.
How and when did you become an Av fan?: When I was younger, maybe 8 or 9, saw Joe Sakic play and became obsessed with him, than the entire team. I was also a huge fan of Steve Yzerman, but I'm not really sure why 8 year old me picked Colorado over my hometown wings, but I think I made the right. As I've gotten older I've become more involved in following the team. Been lurking this thread for a while now so finally decided to become a part and perhaps contribute a little.

Vagrantfan

Aug 4, 2014
Detroit
Name: Paul
Favorite Music: All over the place. Prog Metal/Rock, Metal, Rock, Punk, Blues, Alternative...
Favorite TV Show: Don't get to watch as much as I used to. As far as recent ones go, I've been watching a lot of Rick and Morty, Comedy Bang Bang!, Bates Motel, Bar Rescue. A lot of late night hate-watching on the food network.
Favorite Book: Favorite is tough. Recent ones I've liked have been World War Z, Graveyard Book (Niel Gaiman kids book. Really good), been leafing through a book on Norse Mythology. Anything Kurt Vonnegut is a big plus. Cracked lists is about as much reading as I've gotten through recently. That and brushing up on way too many nuclear physics papers.
Favorite Av: That's tough. Barrie and Holden were a blast to watch late in the year. Duchene is always an exciting player. O'Reilly and Landeskog are great do all players. Mackinnon looks like he might develop into one of the most exciting players in the league. Three of my all time favorites are still Avs also in Sakic, Roy, and Foote. Picking a favorite would be incredibly difficult.
Favorite Ex-Av: Joel Quinneville maybe? The three go-to's have been brought back as coaches so I can't really call them Ex-Avs anymore.
Favorite Non-Av: Jonathan Toews probably
Next Favorite Team: Chicago Blackhawks. Always liked Chicago sports and some buddies got me into the Blackhawks when they started taking hockey serious again.
Favorite Av Moment: BSing with Redwings fans about the rivalry. One way or another it's always interesting. I've met some great people through it and I've had some people get in my face and threaten to hit me for simply mentioning it (seriously).
How and When Did You Become an Avs Fan: I was just getting into hockey when the team moved from Quebec. My dad came back from work one day with an Avs hat and gave it to me. Joe Sakic, Patrick Roy, and Adam Foote got me hooked on the team.

Moving here from another board. I didn't really like the environment there and came here looking for greener pastures. I've got fairly tough skin as far as hockey disagreements go. Trained well from being an Avs fan growing up in Wings territory.

As far as external interests go, I'm a big music fan. I've been playing guitar for 14 years or so now. Big fan of the outdoors. Growing up in Michigan's upper peninsula I practically lived on the lakes and rivers. As a physicist/engineer I'm pretty enthusiastic about science related things and DIY projects. I spend too much time researching how to build nonsense machines. Joked with some business friends about starting a business that builds Rube Goldberg machines.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad