College Hockey 2016-2017

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Not happy with PC having no home game vs BC as a result of this. I'm not giving up my seats b/c of it but there goes one of the few games I would have made the effort to drive from north of Boston to. BU vs UML as the other game that night instead of BU -UMass would have greatly improved the event. No clue why UML has been left out.

But if you wanna get people who normally wouldn't go to a college hockey game to go I think this Fenway gimmick is what you have to do just sort of how it is.

BU being so loaded with NHL talent and high draft picks some of which are Bruins property is excellent for hockey east and guarantees this to be a very fun season (they'll be good but not dominant teams with guys who are on average 5 years older in full cage gladiator can negate BU's skill advantage quite easily.) Its always a lot more fun when you have a clear cut top dog to take aim at.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
BOSTON, MA – The City of Boston, Hockey East Association, and Fenway Sports Management (FSM), today announced the return of outdoor competitive hockey to Fenway Park, with Frozen Fenway 2017, a two week series of hockey and ice skating events taking place at Fenway Park from January 4-16, 2017. Frozen Fenway will feature two marquee Hockey East men's college hockey doubleheaders, along with additional college and high school hockey games and a free public skating day for City of Boston residents.

"Outdoor hockey is quickly becoming a staple on Boston's winter sports calendar and we look forward to joining with Hockey East and the City of Boston to build on that tradition by bringing some of the most accomplished and talented collegiate teams in the country to compete on the ice at Fenway Park," said Boston Red Sox President Sam Kennedy.

The two Hockey East doubleheaders featuring eight of the premier college hockey programs in New England are scheduled to take place on January 7 and 14. Game times to be announced at a later date:

Saturday, January 7, 2017:
* Boston University vs. University of Massachusetts
* Boston College vs. Providence College

Saturday, January 14, 2017:
* University of Maine vs. University of Connecticut
* University of New Hampshire vs. Northeastern University

"Hockey East and our schools could not be more excited to take the ice once again at Fenway Park," said Hockey East commissioner Joe Bertagna. "Once Frozen Fenway 2017 is complete all twelve Hockey East schools will have played an outdoor game at Fenway Park, creating once-in-a-lifetime memories for the players, students, alumni and fans."

The Frozen Fenway 2017 matchups will feature three recent Frozen Four participants (BC, BU and Providence, which won the 2015 Frozen Four Championship), the past two Beanpot winners (BC and BU), the past two Hockey East regular season champs (BC and Providence in 2016; BU in 2015) and the past two Hockey East tournament champions (Northeastern in 2016; BU in 2015).

Along with the hockey games, Mayor Martin J. Walsh and the City of Boston will host a free public skate for residents to experience Frozen Fenway on Monday, January 16, 2017. Additional details will be made available to the public in the coming months.

Ticket information, along with additional Frozen Fenway games and events will be announced in the coming months. Visit RedSox.com for additional Frozen Fenway schedule updates.

- See more at: http://hockeyeastonline.com/men/pres1516/201606/jun29ff.php#sthash.V27mWl0O.dpuf

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Terriers also not playing at The Heights this year. But I'll gladly watch the Eagles at Agannis. Besides, it's more fun there.

Why? Schedule rotation or something else weird? Its not like they'd move a game to the Garden for a bigger gate having the beanpot already.

Are BC and BU playing each other in the first round of it this year?

Too many teams in hockey east wish Uconn could be kicked out even Amherst is a little stale give me more games in the GBA.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Ya I don't think that's accurate. As far as I know, BC and BU are playing at both Conte and Agganis.

riverhawkey91

May 22, 2011
Lowell, MA
Kind of surprised UML got left out given how successful they've been over the last 5 years or so, but they were in the last one so it makes a little sense since the 3 Boston teams are always locks.

They're also probably going to have a bit of a down year after some of the players they've lost, so no guarantee the team is going to be all that great.

BergyDGD

Rock Chalk Jayhawk
Jun 25, 2007
City of Champions,MA
Not happy with PC having no home game vs BC as a result of this. I'm not giving up my seats b/c of it but there goes one of the few games I would have made the effort to drive from north of Boston to. BU vs UML as the other game that night instead of BU -UMass would have greatly improved the event. No clue why UML has been left out.

But if you wanna get people who normally wouldn't go to a college hockey game to go I think this Fenway gimmick is what you have to do just sort of how it is.

BU being so loaded with NHL talent and high draft picks some of which are Bruins property is excellent for hockey east and guarantees this to be a very fun season (they'll be good but not dominant teams with guys who are on average 5 years older in full cage gladiator can negate BU's skill advantage quite easily.) Its always a lot more fun when you have a clear cut top dog to take aim at.

Such a joke that they took one of PC's marquee conference home games away for this. They should have just followed the format of previous years and played it as 3rd game between the teams and a non-conference game. This year due to most weekend night being busy I switched from PC hockey season tickets to basketball season tickets. Although I'll probably still go to 5 or 6 hockey games. From a competitive standpoint I hate playing BC twice in Boston and as a fan I'm pissed we lost our biggest home game of the year.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Such a joke that they took one of PC's marquee conference home games away for this. They should have just followed the format of previous years and played it as 3rd game between the teams and a non-conference game. This year due to most weekend night being busy I switched from PC hockey season tickets to basketball season tickets. Although I'll probably still go to 5 or 6 hockey games. From a competitive standpoint I hate playing BC twice in Boston and as a fan I'm pissed we lost our biggest home game of the year.

To be honest, BC isn't really gonna have an advantage because the game is at Fenway.

May 9, 2010
Weymouth
Checked www.collegehockeynews.com for the B.U. Schedule and it doesn't list a game at Conte. I'll check other sites as it doesn't seem right a BU game not being played at Chestnut Hill.

The conference games haven't been formally announced yet. I know the full NU schedule because of the NU forums (dieharddogs.com). BU has only released home games according to USCHO. I'm going to assume that those two schools play each other at Conte on Jan 14th because they are at Agganis on the 13th.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Terriers also not playing at The Heights this year. But I'll gladly watch the Eagles at Agannis. Besides, it's more fun there.

BC has not released the home schedule yet - they have to wait for the ACC Basketball schedule which takes priority.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

I understand why they did it (because you can't casually buy tickets to games like BC or BU due to Schneider being so small) and they want all their alums in Boston to attend a hockey game. But this move makes season tickets literally about half as valuable as they were with BC on the schedule. That was the only game that regularly sold out back in the 90s and early 2000s back before the program went into the abyss prior to Leaman.

You might want to reconsider come October just because they should sell them out and have a wait list for 17/18. Recruiting class is sneaky good.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
BC has not released the home schedule yet - they have to wait for the ACC Basketball schedule which takes priority.

They should really make the mens basketball team play their games that aren't against Duke/UNC/Syracuse at Newton North until they win an ACC game again.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Would look a lot better on TV.

BergyDGD

Rock Chalk Jayhawk
Jun 25, 2007
City of Champions,MA
I understand why they did it (because you can't casually buy tickets to games like BC or BU due to Schneider being so small) and they want all their alums in Boston to attend a hockey game. But this move makes season tickets literally about half as valuable as they were with BC on the schedule. That was the only game that regularly sold out back in the 90s and early 2000s back before the program went into the abyss prior to Leaman.

You might want to reconsider come October just because they should sell them out and have a wait list for 17/18. Recruiting class is sneaky good.

Oh believe me I have plenty of friends that still have season tickets and have access to the individual tickets before the public so I will just pick out the games before hand and pay them. Basically what it came down to is for me weeknights and weekend afternoons are wide open to go to PC games and Friday/Saturday nights which are usually the hockey games I'm usually busy. Last year I had the season tix and made it to 3 games. Taking the home game vs BC in hockey off the schedule is basically like pulling Nova off the home schedule for basketball and playing them at the Prudential Center in Jersey or something.

Last edited:

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Oh believe me I have plenty of friends that still have season tickets and have access to the individual tickets before the public so I will just pick out the games before hand and pay them. Basically what it came down to is for me weeknights and weekend afternoons are wide open to go to PC games and Friday/Saturday nights which are usually the hockey games I'm usually busy. Last year I had the season tix and made it to 3 games. It's basically like pulling Nova off the home schedule for basketball and playing them at the Prudential Center in Jersey or something.

Can't disagree with any of that. And I think due to small capacity of the arena if any program should look to play midweek and maybe get some TV coverage its PC I don't think a few midweeks would hurt their gate/bottom line.

But Walman is the best player in college hockey and I think 2nd round pick Björkqvist will outshine all BU's 1st rounders none of them took home Gold at the WJC's I think every game that isn't super early in the season sells out.

THe only worry for me is I am accustomed to PC having non drafted players who are nasty and better than the draft picks on the roster going back to the teams I grew up watching in the 90s and we just graduated those guys. But the D is loaded the teams going to be very good its not a rebuilding year just would be nice if one of Tanev/Saracino/Mingoia had a year left.

BergyDGD

Rock Chalk Jayhawk
Jun 25, 2007
City of Champions,MA
Can't disagree with any of that. And I think due to small capacity of the arena if any program should look to play midweek and maybe get some TV coverage its PC I don't think a few midweeks would hurt their gate/bottom line.

But Walman is the best player in college hockey and I think 2nd round pick Björkqvist will outshine all BU's 1st rounders none of them took home Gold at the WJC's I think every game that isn't super early in the season sells out.

THe only worry for me is I am accustomed to PC having non drafted players who are nasty and better than the draft picks on the roster going back to the teams I grew up watching in the 90s and we just graduated those guys. But the D is loaded the teams going to be very good its not a rebuilding year just would be nice if one of Tanev/Saracino/Mingoia had a year left.

Don't forget PC has one of the best hockey names in the country in goaltender and Habs draft pick Hayden Hawkey. Leaman needs a good defense with his system so as long as they got a good defense which they will they'll be fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad