NCAA: College Football 2023 Off-season News and Notes: the Next Great Realignment

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
So he ain’t even gonna recruit
for Kliff, it keeps him engaged in football, but without the massive commitment. Smart call on his part since he's still getting paid by AZ for the next few years. His next coaching stop is likely to be either a NCAA HC or an NFL OC. But, he has time to make a decision.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Kliffs best job would be to be Kirby or Saban's OC when he just has to call plays and recruit QBs
Not a bad gig. But honestly, with all the changes to ncaa football I am not sure Kliff would want to be a college HC and have to do recruiting and transfer portal.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Okay so I'm actually struggling with the CFBP prediction outside of Georgia cause well (duh.)

Alabama is replacing Bryce Young, Ten is replacing a lot. So we may only get one SEC team next year. Then we have the following:

Ohio State
Michigan
Clemson
Florida State
USC/Utah/Oregon/Washington
UNC? Maybe? Drake Maye is a baller

If a team has a really good record out of the big 12

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Okay so I'm actually struggling with the CFBP prediction outside of Georgia cause well (duh.)

Alabama is replacing Bryce Young, Ten is replacing a lot. So we may only get one SEC team next year. Then we have the following:

Ohio State
Michigan
Clemson
Florida State
USC/Utah/Oregon/Washington
UNC? Maybe? Drake Maye is a baller

If a team has a really good record out of the big 12
OSU - new QB like Alabama. McCord is a junior so he's been in the system for 2 years. Either him or Brown who is a Sophomore.
Michigan returns McCarthy, so I think they get ranked ahead of OSU
Clemson - Klubnik got a couple of starts last season, but still pretty green
Fl St. think they return the same starter
Pac12 teams that you listed return their starting QB
UNC, have Maye, but is the rest of the roster that good?

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
OSU - new QB like Alabama. McCord is a junior so he's been in the system for 2 years. Either him or Brown who is a Sophomore.
Michigan returns McCarthy, so I think they get ranked ahead of OSU
Clemson - Klubnik got a couple of starts last season, but still pretty green
Fl St. think they return the same starter
Pac12 teams that you listed return their starting QB
UNC, have Maye, but is the rest of the roster that good?

Ohio State replaces Stroud who is very good, but the QB is walking into Marvin Harrison Jr, Egbuka, Fleming. plus a really good RB tandem.

Alabama skill position recruiting hasn't been the best or development hasn't been since the Kiffen/Sark days.

The reason why I said UNC is because of Maye but look at the schedule - 2023 Football Schedule - University of North Carolina Athletics

Probably only 1 game they won't be Favorited in.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Ohio State replaces Stroud who is very good, but the QB is walking into Marvin Harrison Jr, Egbuka, Fleming. plus a really good RB tandem.

Alabama skill position recruiting hasn't been the best or development hasn't been since the Kiffen/Sark days.

The reason why I said UNC is because of Maye but look at the schedule - 2023 Football Schedule - University of North Carolina Athletics

Probably only 1 game they won't be Favorited in.
OSU also lost both OT who are going rounds 1 and probably round 2. Weapons but question is on the OL. Talking nfl caliber OT.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea

I never realized the clock stopped after every single first down, thought it was only at the end of the 2nd/4th qtrs, I guess that is why the games seemed/were so much longer than Nfl games

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I never realized the clock stopped after every single first down, thought it was only at the end of the 2nd/4th qtrs, I guess that is why the games seemed/were so much longer than Nfl games
It was a stupid rule change. I get doing that in the final 5 minutes of a half. NFL, the clock runs even when you run out of bounds in Q1 and Q3 and the first 10 minutes of Q2 and Q4. Last 5 minutes of the half, it stops if you go out of bounds.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Really? That's a major reason why I preferred college football so long, seemed like as long as you kept moving the ball for first downs, a 21+ point comeback in the 4th quarter was not impossible. Now, it's just like the NFL, except players can theoretically play for 4 teams in 4 years if they really wanted to, making it even worse.

Next comes adopting basically all NFL rules except maybe the hash marks since college kickers notoriously are horrible.

The NCAA committee and P5 conference leaders know we're at peak college football and it's all down from here, hence the scramble for superconferences and expanding the CFP to 12.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It was a stupid rule change. I get doing that in the final 5 minutes of a half. NFL, the clock runs even when you run out of bounds in Q1 and Q3 and the first 10 minutes of Q2 and Q4. Last 5 minutes of the half, it stops if you go out of bounds.
I don’t think they want to do this, but the games are taking too long. And the weird thing is I don’t think many people notice, however a lot of these games are going 4 hours. ESPN finally took notice when the Sugar Bowl took them up to midnight on New Year’s Eve when they spent the whole game promoting the ball drop. Probably the real reason they cut up the overtime rules.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Wow, this late and guys are still looking at transferring during spring practice time and games? Guess some kids are banking on impressing during the summer along with the freshmen class but man does this seem late.

I think they need an earlier cutoff time for the transfer portal.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
speaking of Portal, Lincoln Riley tampered and took probably one of Georgias starting DTs recently.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad