Player Discussion Colin White - C/RW - PART 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
The White evaluation around here has been an epic miss similar to the outrage of trading EK…

There are 1000x more Geener is cheap comments made but they fits everyone’s personal agenda and they go unchecked.

How many points would Colin White have to score this season for you to change your opinion? 30, 40?

You have a very strong opinion towards a player who we have not really seen much of due to injuries and short seasons over the past two years.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
How many points would Colin White have to score this season for you to change your opinion? 30, 40?

You have a very strong opinion towards a player who we have not really seen much of due to injuries and short seasons over the past two years.

I don’t buy the “Colin White is injured every game” thing … it’s getting stale. No doubt he gets nicked up like every player…. If it’s worse he should sit out.

Feels like a genuine question so I’ll attempt to answer. I’m not to worried about points, I’d like to see him give the puck away less and disrupt more plays. He needs to find a more suitable role.

To date the 2C hasn’t worked. If he’s going from become a 3C he needs to separate more players from pucks, win more draws, and develop into the type of player you want killing a penalty or defending the lead.

If your not a 2C or a 3C what are you? Other options would be a 2-4RW. I don’t really get why DJ hasn’t let him kill some people penalties other than he thinks his skill set isn’t well suited for it.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
I still feel like White is being played out of position at center. He's godawful at faceoffs, and I'd argue his best asset is finding dead space in the slot for deflections and rebounds, which isn't somewhere he gets very often because he's so focused on stay back to cover to his defensemen as a center.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I still feel like White is being played out of position at center. He's godawful at faceoffs, and I'd argue his best asset is finding dead space in the slot for deflections and rebounds, which isn't somewhere he gets very often because he's so focused on stay back to cover to his defensemen as a center.

I like him as a slashing net front RW too.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I think we're all in agreement on the things White is good at. Unfortunately, the team's only other options at Center are Tierney and Pinto.

He was great with a playmaker on his wing. Gaudreau at BC and Stone in his first year. Maybe trying one more time with Stutzle isn't the worst thing on earth?

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I don’t buy the “Colin White is injured every game” thing … it’s getting stale. No doubt he gets nicked up like every player…. If it’s worse he should sit out.

That was not what I meant actually, I am not sure who has used that excuse but I was more referring to the 61 games he played in 2020 and 45 games played in 2021.

I feel like I have said this to you before but alot of us feel the need to "defend" White because of your very strong opinion towards him, not because we think he has lived up to his contract or expectations.

That is the reason why I bring up injuries and shortened seasons because my opinion is that I have not seen enough of White to justify having such a strong opinion one way or the other the way you do.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
That was not what I meant actually, I am not sure who has used that excuse but I was more referring to the 61 games he played in 2020 and 45 games played in 2021.

I feel like I have said this to you before but alot of us feel the need to "defend" White because of your very strong opinion towards him, not because we think he has lived up to his contract or expectations.

That is the reason why I bring up injuries and shortened seasons because my opinion is that I have not seen enough of White to justify having such a strong opinion one way or the other the way you do.

Fair enough - all good. From the beginning I thought a $1.8-2.1 deal would have been perfect for White and let him settle into a role…

I’d like to see him improve as much as anyone but if we handed Nick Paul $5 million next year I’d be concerned too… and I think Paul is more valuable than White.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Fair enough - all good. From the beginning I thought a $1.8-2.1 deal would have been perfect for White and let him settle into a role…

I’d like to see him improve as much as anyone but if we handed Nick Paul $5 million next year I’d be concerned too… and I think Paul is more valuable than White.

I think most of us can agree that it is all hindsight right? Of course if we can go back, most of us would agree to bridge Colin White, but at the time, ownership needed to prove that it was committed to building a team.

Look at the Brady situation today, most of us would kill for a long term over-payment deal because we want Brady here long term. 99% of us were also ecstatic at the Chabot contract.

What happens if Batherson fails to live up to his 5 million dollar cap hit, does it make it a bad signing too?

In the end, the past is the past, the White contract cannot he undone and all we can do is hope that he improves enough to become a valuable peice of the team, even if he is overpaid.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Ha … I don’t hate White at all …. I think he should make $1.8 and be our 4C or 3-4RW.

If I say that about Nick Paul no one cares …

Right, if you said that about Nick Paul every post people would say something lol

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Buyout next summer ?

He could even be moved to a capped out team for a useful player after this season. That team could buy him out for an 850K cap hit while we could take on 4.5M in return.

Either way I doubt he’s here past this season.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Buyout next summer ?

He could even be moved to a capped out team for a useful player after this season. That team could buy him out for an 850K cap hit while we could take on 4.5M in return.

Either way I doubt he’s here past this season.

I think unless he puts up 40-45 points this season while playing a noticeable game on most nights, he will become the automatic whipping boy with that contract. At this point he is still getting the benefit of the doubt based on circumstances the past two years (i.e, shortened seasons and injuries in both seasons) but if he does not play a near full season and put up the necessary points to justify his contract, he will be gone in one form or the other (trade or buyout).

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I think we're all in agreement on the things White is good at. Unfortunately, the team's only other options at Center are Tierney and Pinto.

He was great with a playmaker on his wing. Gaudreau at BC and Stone in his first year. Maybe trying one more time with Stutzle isn't the worst thing on earth?

Oh yes it is ... he can't connect a pass on either end ... Everything is fumbled or in the skates.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
He was OK yesterday - played about as well as the entire team did.

Had some nice plays carrying the puck, a few decent looks at the net and then also had some gaffes.

It is pre-season but he did look a little quicker and more engaged.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I liked him last night, and he was pesky again with Simmonds.

No need to trade him right now at all, especially with our current centre depth.

I’d like to see a little more of Sanford White Paul, they were definitely threatening at being worth watching last night, but like the entire team they laid an egg for the most part.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
White did exactly what he had to last night.

Made a very nice pass to Stutzle, which he rang off the post. Had two dangerous scoring chances in the slot on the PP. Forechecked very well, got back quickly on defense, moved the puck quickly and decisively... only issue was faceoffs. He looked like a legit 3C otherwise.

I like the idea of keeping him with Paul and having White only take strong-side faceoffs.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I don't see him as a #3 C on a contending team. I think he should be moved (nobody will take him, though) or bought out next summer.

Reactions: Sweatred

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
White did exactly what he had to last night.

Made a very nice pass to Stutzle, which he rang off the post. Had two dangerous scoring chances in the slot on the PP. Forechecked very well, got back quickly on defense, moved the puck quickly and decisively... only issue was faceoffs. He looked like a legit 3C otherwise.

I like the idea of keeping him with Paul and having White only take strong-side faceoffs.

A "legit 3C" who isn't defensively responsible enough to kill a penalty?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He was OK yesterday - played about as well as the entire team did.

Had some nice plays carrying the puck, a few decent looks at the net and then also had some gaffes.

It is pre-season but he did look a little quicker and more engaged.
I thought he looked like the best player on his line and debatably the best forward on the team. He was engaged and moving his feet, made some nice plays in the bumper spot on the pp. The entire team had a bad game, you really cant look too far into it, its the second exibition game of the yaer. It was the worst game ive ever seen Connor Brown play.

People suggesting to buy him out are out to lunch. This team is below the cap floor lol. God damn ridiculous.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
White with Stutzle - Brutal
White with Dadonov - Brutal
White with Paul - Brutal

The list is growing ....

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Kind of like Fisher without the strength or shot.

doesn’t seem to gel well with linemates, not very creative and a bit of tunnel vision.

I like his effort and drive though.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I thought he looked like the best player on his line and debatably the best forward on the team. He was engaged and moving his feet, made some nice plays in the bumper spot on the pp. The entire team had a bad game, you really cant look too far into it, its the second exibition game of the yaer. It was the worst game ive ever seen Connor Brown play.

People suggesting to buy him out are out to lunch. This team is below the cap floor lol. God damn ridiculous.

If the team is willing to dedicate ~ $50mil to re-sign Brady, Norris, Stutzle, Sanderson, Pinto, Paul, Zub and Formenton over the next 2 years or so, I could justify buying White out this offseason. But that's a big if.

White's issue is consistency, and it is an issue, but when he's on his game I see a lot of good things from him. Never going to be a big-time producer but the components of a secondary/complementary producer are there.

Reactions: Viletho

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think White will get his chance again this yr on that 3rd line with Paul & likely Sanford given I think Greig is returned to junior. Even if they move Sanford at the TDL which I hope they do, I expect that Sokolov could replace Sanford. Next yr Greig is going to push White & could replace him by the end of next season unless White's game improves significantly.

Even then I think he is a place holder until Greig takes that spot for good which could take only a yr or 2. Greig has already shown a lot more offence, jam & defensive ability, I just think Greig has a better shot a being this team's future 3rd line centre than White at this point, but White could improve.

Reactions: Sweatred

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
If the team is willing to dedicate ~ $50mil to re-sign Brady, Norris, Stutzle, Sanderson, Pinto, Paul, Zub and Formenton over the next 2 years or so, I could justify buying White out this offseason. But that's a big if.

White's issue is consistency, and it is an issue, but when he's on his game I see a lot of good things from him. Never going to be a big-time producer but the components of a secondary/complementary producer are there.

Isn't consistency the issue with any none superstar player? If they were consistent, they would be superstar themselve.

That's why when you evaluate a player you take to pros and cons to make your evaluation.

He is on his 3rd year of his contract if him not mistaken. Still 3 more years after that. White's contract is a none issue unless all young core player achieve so great thing that they would be warranted big contract. Which would be a great thing if the Sens have that problem.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I liked him last night, and he was pesky again with Simmonds.

No need to trade him right now at all, especially with our current centre depth.

I’d like to see a little more of Sanford White Paul, they were definitely threatening at being worth watching last night, but like the entire team they laid an egg for the most part.

Simmonds threw him around with one hand tied behind his back … what you call “pesky” isn’t effective. It’s like swatting a fly.

Reactions: aragorn
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad