Confirmed with Link: Colin Greening Clears Waivers | Called up for west coast trip |

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I said on "the" NHL roster. Meaning "this" NHL roster. Meaning the Ottawa Senators organization.

You're digging way too deep with this. It makes us a better team, period.

I won't bother taking this any further.

My mistake, I misread you post wrt "the" vs "an". I hereby recind any and all implications on my behalf that you are, or could be, a horrible human being based on your feelings towards the waiving of one "Colin Greening".

I still see no reason him being a healthy scratch makes the team any worse than him being on the Bingo roster, but whatever.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
End of an era!

In all seriousness, I don't get why people are celebrating. They are only doing this so the guy can actually be playing hockey rather than just twiddling his thumbs and hitting the gym 5x a week.

I honestly don't know what happened to Greening. It's like he was castrated and someone removed half of his brain. I actually thought he was going to be a force in the NHL. Crazy that he played in the All-star game in Ottawa and now he'll be riding the buses around the AHL.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I remember exactly where I was when I heard about the contract extension. I just shook my head.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I'm willing to bet that this is not the last time we'll see Colin on the Sens. I see no one picking him up, him actually playing well in the AHL, and being brought up once some injuries hit.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I remember exactly where I was when I heard about the contract extension. I just shook my head.

If he was still putting up the numbers he did in the lockout year (without Spezza) he'd still be a useful player. I mean, he put up 19 pts in 47 games playing primarily with Neil and Smith. I think Condra even subed in from time to time.

A lot of poeple say his contract was a product of Spezza, and sure that played into it, but he did play a shortened season without Spezza and with limited PP time, putting up respectable numbers in a mostly defensive role. I expected him to continue to be a ~10-15 goal, 30-35 pts role player, and his contract would be acceptable for that. Were my expectations really that far fetched?

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I'm sorry to hear that. Must be a pretty rough month for you if this tops the list.

My condolences.

You do realize you're on a site with senators fanatics, and greening is going to be sent down.

I'm sorry to hear that this doesn't make your day. That sucks for you man.

I'm sure that TV show you liked that started tops the list or that restaurant you went to beats this...not.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
My mistake, I misread you post wrt "the" vs "an". I hereby recind any and all implications on my behalf that you are, or could be, a horrible human being based on your feelings towards the waiving of one "Colin Greening".

I still see no reason him being a healthy scratch makes the team any worse than him being on the Bingo roster, but whatever.

It opens up a spot. He's played what, 20 games so far? Now that roster spot and every other game he got in, can be used on someone who is better. The games he did get in, maybe now we have flexibility to see what prince or puempel can do before we resign them. Now they have a chance to get called up. Before they didn't.

It's not very difficult to see. I'm actually curious as to how you're having difficulty grasping the concept. Maybe I can go about it explaining it in a different way...

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
...He had the effect of blocking a more deserving player's roster spot.

This is an assumption. Who was he blocking? When he played he was on the third or fourth line. Its not like he was stopping the Sens from bringing a potential top six forward.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
This is an assumption. Who was he blocking? When he played he was on the third or fourth line. Its not like he was stopping the Sens from bringing a potential top six forward.

Yes he was. Potential top 6 forwards more often than not start on the bottom lines. In games he played, we could have seen where our prospects are and be better prepared when resigning them. There is also a better chance that one of our prospects boom if given a chance than Colin greening. Consider that this is a non playoff team. That makes a difference.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Yes he was. Potential top 6 forwards more often than not start on the bottom lines. In games he played, we could have seen where our prospects are and be better prepared when resigning them. There is also a better chance that one of our prospects boom if given a chance than Colin greening. Consider that this is a non playoff team. That makes a difference.

Unless you mean blocking a rookie from having a spot eating popcorn in the pressbox then no, things did not happen in the way you are describing. At all.

We have been carrying around extra bodies all season. If Greening did not exist then we would have had 22 players up here instead of 23. Even if a 23rd player was up here, Greening was in the pressbox most of the time so taking his place means being there instead of playing. And young players need to play more than anything else.

At most, and this is being generous to your argument to the point of straining credibility, a rookie could have had 2 or 3 games with the big team if Greening was not here. And that would just be the coach going on a hunch and seeing what that player can do outside of practice.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Unless you mean blocking a rookie from having a spot eating popcorn in the pressbox then no, things did not happen in the way you are describing. At all.

We have been carrying around extra bodies all season. If Greening did not exist then we would have had 22 players up here instead of 23. Even if a 23rd player was up here, Greening was in the pressbox most of the time so taking his place means being there instead of playing. And young players need to play more than anything else.

At most, and this is being generous to your argument to the point of straining credibility, a rookie could have had 2 or 3 games with the big team if Greening was not here. And that would just be the coach going on a hunch and seeing what that player can do outside of practice.

Did you just say "things didn't happen the way I described"? No ****. The way I worded it using the words like "could" should have made that easy for you to figure out. Maybe English isn't your forte and in which I apologize. I will try to clarify more in the future.

We used greening in 20 games. That could have been 10 games for prince and 10 games for puempel.

You say if greening wasnt here we would just go with 22 roster spots. That hasnt been the case in the past. We've repeatedly braught up players when we already had enough players. Pageau came up when we didnt need him. Wideman came up when we didnt need him (methot coming back quickly ended that though)

The sens have proven over and over again to go with a 23 man roster yet you speak so arrogant in your ways when you say they would just go with 22.

We'll see, if others are called up during the second half, than I was right. If others aren't called up or braught in, you were right. We'll see.

Last edited:

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Off the top of my head, if I am remembering correctly, Greening makes roughly 2.7, and 3.3 in the final two years of his deal.

If Ottawa were to buy him out next year, they'd be accountable for 3.3 million of that (2/3rds?) spread out over 4 years. Given Ottawa is supposedly a budget team, giving away 3.3 million for a player that won't be used is an issue, but it really puts into perspective how a terrible contract that fans of this board have been labouring over for almost two seasons really would barely be an issue if Ottawa was a cap team. This isn't Mike Richards or David Clarkson type bad.

With that said, I wonder if after he clears, the Senators will attempt to move him with retained salary. Colin Greening with a third of his cap hit retained would save Ottawa over 1.6 million over the duration of the buyout.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Was expecting this

Oh, well my jersey just became even more ridiculous :yo:

Why in the world would you get a greening jersey?! Lol

That's worse than my michalek jersey. At least he was good a long time ago.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Did you just say "things didn't happen the way I described"? No ****. The way I worded it using the words like "could" should have made that easy for you to figure out. Maybe English isn't your forte and in which I apologize. I will try to clarify more in the future.

We used greening in 20 games. That could have been 10 games for prince and 10 games for puempel.

You say if greening wasnt here we would just go with 22 roster spots. That hasnt been the case in the past. We've repeatedly braught up players when we already had enough players. Pageau came up when we didnt need him. Wideman came up when we didnt need him (methot coming back quickly ended that though)

The sens have proven over and over again to go with a 23 man roster yet you speak so arrogant in your ways when you say they would just go with 22.

We'll see, if others are called up during the second half, than I was right. If others aren't called up or braught in, you were right. We'll see.

I think you're the one with the comprehension issue. Stef's point was that those 20 games definitely would NOT have gone to Puempel or Prince. If anything, it would have meant more Condra. At best more Pageau.

NO ONE would have been called up if Greening wasn't here. The team would have just carried the minimum 22 players as it has in the past.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I think you're the one with the comprehension issue. Stef's point was that those 20 games definitely would NOT have gone to Puempel or Prince. If anything, it would have meant more Condra. At best more Pageau.

NO ONE would have been called up if Greening wasn't here. The team would have just carried the minimum 22 players as it has in the past.

We will see.

Now that greening is waived, we'll see who is right. If the half season without greening means we call up players or give more ice time to young players, i was right. If we just use more condra,legwand or any other vet, than you were right.

Pageau is good example for me. He's in the group of young guys i would rather give ice time to see what we have instead of greening. Perhaps pageau would have been up sooner with no greening. Maybe he would have been with the team from the start instead of waiting until injuries if greening was in the AHL from the start.

Patvolcom65

@Patvolcom65
Jul 4, 2011
New-Brunswick
142843.gif

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Why in the world would you get a greening jersey?! Lol

That's worse than my michalek jersey. At least he was good a long time ago.

Ridiculous jerseys are awesome

I have:

Daigle
Volchenkov
Lalime
Alfie
Greening
Lehner
Karlsson
Dzingel (Bingo)
Daugavins (Dynamo Riga)

So that isn't my only ridiculous one

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

3 pages and this point has been made numerous times, but there still seems to be some missed.

Waiving Greening is a lateral move to our on ice product, because he was sitting in the pressbox more often than not, and if not him in the lineup those 20 games, it more than likely would have been Condra.

Cameron was asked about and said this was a move to give Greening a chance to get some icetime and actually play hockey instead of sitting in the pressbox. I'll take him at his word.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Right because it was either that or saying that he sucks and isn't good enough to be on the roster.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Ridiculous jerseys are awesome

I have:

Daigle
Volchenkov
Lalime
Alfie
Greening
Lehner
Karlsson
Dzingel (Bingo)
Daugavins (Dynamo Riga)

So that isn't my on ridiculous one

I wonder if anyone has a Bondra, Arnason or Barrasso Sens jersey lol

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I wonder if anyone has a Bondra, Arnason or Barrasso Sens jersey lol

I would totally rock a Bondra or Barrasso Sens jersey just for the lolz.

I've got a few blanks around... maybe next time I'm in Ottawa I'll dust off the twill cutter and stitch one of those up, haha.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
3 pages and this point has been made numerous times, but there still seems to be some missed.

Waiving Greening is a lateral move to our on ice product, because he was sitting in the pressbox more often than not, and if not him in the lineup those 20 games, it more than likely would have been Condra.

Cameron was asked about and said this was a move to give Greening a chance to get some icetime and actually play hockey instead of sitting in the pressbox. I'll take him at his word.

I think it is a lateral move to for the present time being. No one that replaces him is going to be a huge improvement over him.

My point was that it would be better for the organization to see what they have with certain prospects like puempel, prince, pageau etc before their contracts expire. We already know what we have in greening. Greening is what he is at this point. Might as well see what we have in our other prospects if we're not going to be making the playoffs.

Cameron isnt going to say "we didnt use him because we have other options we prefer...while being a below average team therefore other better, deeper teams probably wont want him either, so he'll probably clear and be sent down to the minors where he can actually be an impact player"

My above statement is very accurate, yet very rude. Obviously cameron wont throw him under a bus.

Why do people take comments from a person when asked about a coworker so seriously. They are obviously going to sugar coat everything to keep the respect going. I've never heard gretzky insult someone when asked about someone who has a lot of deficiencies. Hes obviously going to focus on the positives for the class/respect/not-being-a dick-factor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad