Player Discussion Colin Blackwell

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Blackwell's season summarized so far:

Sure, only 10 points in 18 games. But the eye test... goddamn is he a player you want on the ice. A skilled Jesper Fast? Can I say that? And as I said, with the minutes, you will be sure he ends up on the scoreboard. Dare I say he's a hidden gem?

He has the "do the hustle", he has good vision, his shot is nasty and he can do things with the puck on his stick. What's not to like?

Last edited:

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I am glad he is doing well, but by him doing well this shows this organization does not have a lot of depth and it shows that the younger players are not as good as Blackwell yet.

something concerning is that with 3 more games, Blackwell will have a career year in games played with 28 at age 28 in ONE NHL season. in the other NHL organizations he would be in the AHL.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I am glad he is doing well, but by him doing well this shows this organization does not have a lot of depth and it shows that the younger players are not as good as Blackwell yet.

something concerning is that with 3 more games, Blackwell will have a career year in games played with 28 at age 28 in ONE NHL season. in the other NHL organizations he would be in the AHL.

If Blackwell played like this for the Pens we'd all be bitching about how they find these diamonds in the rough to contribute.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Sometimes the key is finding those guys who can come in and serve a valuable role for your team, even for a season or two.

Maybe they only have 300 games NHL careers, but if they have their best and most effective 160-240 games for your organization, does it really matter?

this dude does not even have 100 NHL games yet.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Yeah, and if he plays like this for 160 of them with the Rangers, I'm pretty okay with that.
Well...you knew and the other team knew he was out there . That is what you need from a 4th line...eat minutes and try not to be scored against and make life miserable for every opposition player on the ice .

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
haha... I really kind of felt bad for McKegg though. He really tried so hard for us... he is just not.... well.... good.

Blackwell thusfar is pretty much everything McKegg wished he could be. To see Colin crush that little engine who could.... kinda made me feel bad.
Yeah. McKegg is a good guy. And he was just coming back off injury, I think. And then got run over kind of randomly. There was nothing wrong or dangerous with what happened. But I could appreciate McKegg being frustrated.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Sometimes the key is finding those guys who can come in and serve a valuable role for your team, even for a season or two.

Maybe they only have 300 games NHL careers, but if they have their best and most effective 160-240 games for your organization, does it really matter?
Exactly. My thinking is the fourth line and third d pairing and, actually, the backup goalie, are positions that can’t eat up cap. So that leaves you with rookies/elc types and finding guys like Blackwell and Rooney who both have been good. Do Giuseppe has been good too but we haven’t seen much of him this year.
But basically, the Rangers need to invest in great pro scouting.

Reactions: eco's bones

and 99 others

la la la la la la la... a little bit alexis
Jul 27, 2011
it's going to suck to lose blackwell to seattle for nothing and watch him continue to be a solid middle 6 winger

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
If we keep Blackwell and trade Strome, Blackwell can play center for Panarin. This will free up some cap space. And Blackwell can then be moved at the next year's trade deadline.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
Doesn't surprise me... guy has talent and only recently has been given an opportunity to show it. With that said, if some desperate team offers you a 2nd or even 3rd rounder for him you take it and run. His shooting percentage is unsustainable and he's going to fall back down to earth at some point

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
He shoul be traded while hes hot, we really have no room for him on the right side unless we move Buchnevich, i love everything he brings but i don't see it lasting.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
He’s not getting a ton of ice time really. In his 31 games he’s averaging a bit over 13 minutes a game and occasionally he’s on the PK. 12 goals in 31 games prorated to an 82 game season comes to about 32 goals. Not bad for a guy with a 750K contract.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Hes been a tremendous bang for your buck find.

He'll have the odd abhorrent dud of a game like he did today but his play has been overwhelmingly positive. The Rangers won't do it, but I'd protect him over Howden. He's better than Brett in every facet and even provides more 4th line-y things if thats where he ends up playing over the long haul.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Hes been a tremendous bang for your buck find.

He'll have the odd abhorrent dud of a game like he did today but his play has been overwhelmingly positive. The Rangers won't do it, but I'd protect him over Howden. He's better than Brett in every facet and even provides more 4th line-y things if thats where he ends up playing over the long haul.
Oh god Im going to lose my mind if we decide to protect Brett Howden

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad