Player Discussion Colin Blackwell

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
I think people are complaining about his usage not him as a player but if he's playing this well it's hard to complain about his usage too.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
When the world spins correct on it’s axis the Cinderella story is embraced by fans.

Currently on this board NYR’s own Cinderella story is the root of all evil.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Blackwell is just the new Jayson Megna. The novelty will wear off in a few weeks
I disagree. Megna didn’t play well but kind of appeared and got some points for a bit. Blackwell is noticeable on the ice when he’s not producing. He’s fast and pressures the other team well imo, he has a fine and useful bottom 6 skillset

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
megnas novelty wore off the 2nd game he played.

blackwell has multiple games of high level
play and that’s not just counting the scoresheet

Yeah, I am not saying Blackwell is as good as Megna, but his recent performance, IMO, isn't really indicative of what he is as a player, similarly to Megna at the time.

I'd love for Blackwell to stick around and become a decent 3rd liner but after 10 games I am not convinced yet

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Comparing Blackwell to Megna is disrespectful to Blackwell.

Blackwell has looked like a NHL level player when hes gotten the opportunity to skate in the bigs. He looked good with the Preds last year too in limited action.

Do I want him on the 2nd line and PP1 long term? f*** no. Is he going to shoot 27% for his career? Triple f*** no. Would I rather see him get ice time than the likes of Brett Howden, Kevin Rooney, and PDG? f*** yes.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Comparing Blackwell to Megna is disrespectful to Blackwell.

Blackwell has looked like a NHL level player when hes gotten the opportunity to skate in the bigs. He looked good with the Preds last year too in limited action.

Do I want him on the 2nd line and PP1 long term? f*** no. Is he going to shoot 27% for his career? Triple f*** no. Would I rather see him get ice time than the likes of Brett Howden, Kevin Rooney, and PDG? f*** yes.

Rooney and PDG have been just fine.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
So far this kids been great but why do I feel like there's another ridiculous long term, Smith type contract on the horizon?

Last edited:

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Howden has been fine when in a 4th line role too.

But Blackwell is better than those guys. He's a legitimate top 9 forward.

I think Blackwell is going to struggle against more physical defensive groups.

He's an ideal utility player for this team in that- when everyone's healthy, I'd have him as a 4th liner, but certainly he has the hands and IQ to play top 9 role when needed.

Similar to Dominic Moore in that respect.

But when everyone is healthy there will be some decisions for Quinn as to who sits. PDG, Howden, Blackwell, Lemieux, Rooney are five guys fighting over likely 3 slots.

Reactions: Synergy27

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
But when everyone is healthy there will be some decisions for Quinn as to who sits. PDG, Howden, Blackwell, Lemieux, Rooney are five guys fighting over likely 3 slots.

In a season like this, Quinn may actually not face this decision. I think you also have to include Gauthier in that group too.

So, six guys fighting over 3 spots. I actually think Lemieux is safe since every game this season is a division game and you need some sandpaper in the lineup.

So, if everyone is healthy, I'm going with Rooney, Blackwell, and Lemieux.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I don't really care if Lemieux is in the lineup. I appreciate his effort and willingness, but as I've said so many times before, I don't think he's very effective at what he's supposed to do. And beyond that, he brings very little.

Di Giuseppe, another guy whose effort I appreciate. I see him as sort of interchangeable with Blackwell as they both play hard and have some skill. I think he's the primary competition. Go with whoever is playing better.

Gauthier has shown some nice things of late, but I still have doubts that he can bring it every night. If he does, great, and he deserves a lineup spot.

Rooney is good. He should have a spot.

Howden is not good. He's an average at best fourth line player. I don't care what we do with him.

Reactions: ecemleafs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad