Cole Caufield re-draft 2019

Caufield redraft

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
Anyone who watched Caufield in the playoffs knows that if he isn't scoring he isn't doing much. Kind of like Auston Matthews

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
"Cole Caufield is already a star" oof.

Last year in playoff, he play like a star type of player. 4 goals against Vegas.

This year, the team play like shit and Caufield don't play bad too, just don't put points like Trevor Zegras too...

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
This is the first time I’ve seen this thread and wow there are some ridiculous takes. I would have a very hard time believing that anyone who has anyone ranked above Hughes at this point has actually watched him play a decent amount in the NHL. He is dominant all over the ice at times and controls the play. Great everywhere, has a great skillset and the consistent production will come. Started really well this season with 2 goals and an assist as well as 10 takeaways in 4 periods. Too bad that he got hurt. Caufield and Zegras are both really good young players who will be good NHL players but they are no where near Hughes at this point. They have been way too overhyped.

My top 7:
Hughes
Seider
Dach
Kakko
Byram
Cozens
Zegras
Caufield

I’d put a decent gap between Zegras and Caufield and I think there’s some other guys that could be right there with Caufield.
I was a huge fan of Seider coming into the draft and he’s done really well since then. Dach also looks really good when I watch him even if he hasn’t had great production wise yet.

Reactions: Dominance

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
I´ve heard last season that Cowfield is star already. According to some sources Filip Zadina said that he is just basic midget.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
So how's the Calder candidate doing now?

8 games, 0 goals, 0 primary assists, 1 secondary assist, 1 point, -2?

Maybe he should've been a 3rd round pick.
He’s doing about as well as your 11m winger, Marner (8 games, 0 goals, 2 assists, -3) and your 11.7m center, Matthews (5 games, 1 goal, 1 assist, -3). ;)

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
This is the first time I’ve seen this thread and wow there are some ridiculous takes. I would have a very hard time believing that anyone who has anyone ranked above Hughes at this point has actually watched him play a decent amount in the NHL. He is dominant all over the ice at times and controls the play. Great everywhere, has a great skillset and the consistent production will come. Started really well this season with 2 goals and an assist as well as 10 takeaways in 4 periods. Too bad that he got hurt. Caufield and Zegras are both really good young players who will be good NHL players but they are no where near Hughes at this point. They have been way too overhyped.

My top 7:
Hughes
Seider
Dach
Kakko
Byram
Cozens
Zegras
Caufield

I’d put a decent gap between Zegras and Caufield and I think there’s some other guys that could be right there with Caufield.
I was a huge fan of Seider coming into the draft and he’s done really well since then. Dach also looks really good when I watch him even if he hasn’t had great production wise yet.
Not sure how you have kakko cozens ahead of zegras at this point…. Zegras def in the same range of byram and dach

My top 7
Seider
Hughes
Byram
Zegras
Dach
Cozens
Knight

I think there is a lot of debate in the top 5 and depending on how you feel about goalies knight prob deserves to be mentioned among it.

I put caufield in the same area as boldy newhook krebs pinto etc, top 10 talent… but really not worth talking about with the other top 5 players

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Not sure how you have kakko cozens ahead of zegras at this point…. Zegras def in the same range of byram and dach

Here's the problem with your thinking. If you are going to suggest that Kakko is not a proven scorer in the NHL, you can't then make an argument for Zegras (or anyone from this draft yet aside from Hughes) based on what they've proven. Hughes is the only player that has proven a 40+ point sample over a full season or even a significant portion of less than a full season. Trying to overreact significantly to where players rank is how you get a thread like this where Habs fans think Caufield is a star because he was an average middle six forward for a 30 game sample, not recognizing that unproven players have plenty of ups and downs trying to break into the NHL initially.

Because you can't make an argument on production for anyone aside from Hughes, it becomes a subjective assessment of which players we all like best. So someone could absolutely put Kakko or Cozens ahead of Zegras. There's no reason why they couldn't be ahead. At the same time, you could suggest that Zegras is better. There's no reason why at this point that he couldn't turn out better. But nothing is proven. And it's not like Hughes is that proven either. He produced at a 45 point pace in a shortened season, which is a top 6 level, but not star 1OA level that you might expect for a 1OA in his D+2 season.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020

My top 7
Seider
Hughes
Byram
Zegras
Dach
Cozens
Knight

I think there is a lot of debate in the top 5 and depending on how you feel about goalies knight prob deserves to be mentioned among it.

I put caufield in the same area as boldy newhook krebs pinto etc, top 10 talent… but really not worth talking about with the other top 5 players
What has Zegras done to surpass them? Cozens and Zegras were both dominant at the world juniors and Kakko was in the NHL at the time. Zegras hasn’t done close to enough in the NHL to put himself well ahead of them either. You could argue him being better but I think they’re better at this point and that he’s a bit overrated by some people.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Here's the problem with your thinking. If you are going to suggest that Kakko is not a proven scorer in the NHL, you can't then make an argument for Zegras (or anyone from this draft yet aside from Hughes) based on what they've proven. Hughes is the only player that has proven a 40+ point sample over a full season or even a significant portion of less than a full season. Trying to overreact significantly to where players rank is how you get a thread like this where Habs fans think Caufield is a star because he was an average middle six forward for a 30 game sample, not recognizing that unproven players have plenty of ups and downs trying to break into the NHL initially.

Because you can't make an argument on production for anyone aside from Hughes, it becomes a subjective assessment of which players we all like best. So someone could absolutely put Kakko or Cozens ahead of Zegras. There's no reason why they couldn't be ahead. At the same time, you could suggest that Zegras is better. There's no reason why at this point that he couldn't turn out better. But nothing is proven. And it's not like Hughes is that proven either. He produced at a 45 point pace in a shortened season, which is a top 6 level, but not star 1OA level that you might expect for a 1OA in his D+2 season.
I didnt mention points, your just assuming a lot of stuff here.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
What has Zegras done to surpass them? Cozens and Zegras were both dominant at the world juniors and Kakko was in the NHL at the time. Zegras hasn’t done close to enough in the NHL to put himself well ahead of them either. You could argue him being better but I think they’re better at this point and that he’s a bit overrated by some people.
Zegras has looked a lot better than either of them @ the nhl level so far.

And why not? Your just living off draft position.... there was plenty of people that had Zegras as a top 3-5 talent in that draft.

Reactions: bsu

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

And why not? Your just living off draft position.... there was plenty of people that had Zegras as a top 3-5 talent in that draft.

And thats still just another subjective assessment that your player is better than the other players. It's absolutely a valid opinion to take, but it's strange to claim others can't come up with a different opinion, especially when you don't have much that is quantifiable to back what you are saying.

Reactions: Gravity

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020

I’m not saying you can’t rank him above or how can you like you are. And from what I’ve seen I wouldn’t say he has looked a lot better than them at all.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
And then disappear in the Playoffs, where it matters most?

So what was the point of you bringing up Marners and Matthews regular seasons stats? To get destroyed, put out an unrelated opinion and run?

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
Just like he wasn't near 1st OV after the playoffs, he's not near the player this *updated* thread is making him out to be. He's been really solid to start the year. Just appears snakebitten.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad