Confirmed Trade: [COL/TOR] Denis Malgin for Dryden Hunt

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Not to rain on anyone's parade... but he is shooting 18% with the Avs.

He can drive play really well, so I think he is still a useful player, but I'd expect his goal-scoring to go down a little.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

He can drive play really well, so I think he is still a useful player, but I'd expect his goal-scoring to go down a little.

His full year shooting percentage is in line with his career. Kinda "bought" low when his shooting percentage in Toronto was probably hilariously bad.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton

They literally got him for Dryden Hunt. It's a win even if he doesn't score another point for the rest of the year.

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
I'm still amused NHL.com managed to get Malkin into his background / banner picture.

MalginMalkin.jpg

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
ya, it was like 4%, he showed flashes of brilliance, and a lot of grade-A chances, I am just saying the Colorado numbers are inflated and Toronto numbers are low. His yearly average is fair.

The Avs system seems to inflate numbers so not too surprising. But if he lands somewhere in the middle between his numbers in Toronto and what he’s doing right now that’s still a solid bottom 6 guy. I’d be happy with that for sure.

Reactions: missionAvs

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
The Leafs gave him a shot....twice. Some players just don't fit into a system for whatever reason.

If he has aspirations of ever making more than 1M on future contracts I think he'll be out of the league. If he's a realist and works for league minimum the rest of his career he could stick for a while.

Reactions: uncleben

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
When you gave him away for nothing and he's having success somewhere else? Ya

He has been replaced by better players, he'd be fighting for a spot with ZAR right now, and I think they would both get bumped for Knies.

It was a trade to give him a shot somewhere, and it worked out for him, and the Avs, which is good.

If the Leafs roll with similar lines that they have now for the playoffs, which player in this bottom 6 is pushed out?

Knies - ROR - Nylander
Lafferty - Kampf - Acciari

Reactions: GreatDayforHockey

vpasla1

Mar 24, 2018
I was wondering why this popped up to the top, so i went and saw he had 4 points in his last 2 games. Calm down people.

Prior to these two games, he had 28 games and 8 points with the Avalanche. Prior to the trade, he had 23 games and 4 points with the Leafs this year.

What you see is what you get at this point.

Reactions: Drew311

Ovi895

Feb 24, 2023
Leafs somehow managed to lose the Malgin trade twice, first giving up Marchment for him then giving up him for Hunt

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I was wondering why this popped up to the top, so i went and saw he had 4 points in his last 2 games. Calm down people.

Prior to these two games, he had 28 games and 8 points with the Avalanche. Prior to the trade, he had 23 games and 4 points with the Leafs this year.

What you see is what you get at this point.
That's one way to look at it. Another way is that he has 7 of those points in his last 9 games and playing with a ton of confidence. He's gotten an increase in ice-time not only because of injuries but because he's earned it.

It usually takes some time for new players to get used to playing in Bednar's system. We saw it with Josh Manson last year who looked horrible when he first arrived and we've also seen in with Lars Eller in his first 7-8 games and he finally now is starting to turn it around and play really well.

I'm not suggesting that Malgin will keep that sort of pace but I'd be pretty happy to keep him as a 3rd line RW who has the ability to fill-in the Top-6 in case of injuries. The Avs bottom-6 is certainly not the most productive in the NHL, far from it.

Reactions: forsbergavs32

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Malgin has high end skills, he has shown plenty in Switzerland. I always wondered why he couldn‘t get his s*** together in the NHL. Maybe he has turned a corner. He‘s a good guy, has a lot of drive to be in the NHL (if Gregory Hoffmann had even 1/10th of Malgin‘s drive, he could have been a good player in the NHL), I hope he keeps doing well.
He’s already scored 8 goals in Colorado. He’s a player for the Avs. He’s making a difference. He’s helping them outscore the other team with some frequency. Good player. Definitely has some top six scoring chops.

Being an up and down type requires an up.

There was no up, that's why he's in Colorado
And now it’s mostly up. And the other team digging pucks out of their net. Pucks Malgin put in there vs bottom six lines. Big goals for a team that has had issues with bottom six productivity.

Reactions: Reparlana

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad