Confirmed Trade: [COL/SJS] Matt Nieto and Ryan Merkley for Martin Kaut and Jacob MacDonald

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
Merkley is a wildcard with all the talent, but terrible mentally.
I can see Merkley thriving in this position

1674737137768.gif

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
in a larger role - I think he can succeed. The opportunity is there in San Jose.

Unlike Merkley who is in a numbers game in Colorado and in my opinion was tacked onto this trade just because.
Not saying he can’t eventually be…something…but Kaut had plenty of opportunity in Colorado. Half the forward core has been injured this year. He did nothing to distinguish himself as anything more than a warm body.

I’m fairly certain both these guys were tacked on just because for changes of scenery. Nieto obviously fills a hole in Denver while I think MacDonald can be a really useful utility guy and provide a lot of leadership on the ‘Cuda and pops of play ina variety of roles on the big team.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
This is really 2 deals for the Avs.
short term upgrade with Nieto over the likes of Blidh and company,
and
a swing at a longer term solution for depth in Merkley and unlocking that unrealized potential. The Avs could potentially lose EJ and Girard/Toews within 12-16 months.

Englund I think has surpassed MacDonald on the chart, and MacDermid is still there too.
MacDonald deserves a better chance to play regularly on Defense and I think Sharks fans will like him.

Kaut should do better as well with more opportunity. Similar to Jost, I think the Avs style was just not a fit for Kaut.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
I would guess Nieto is the most useful player in this trade come playoff time and the suspects in the trade turn into rejects. We'll see. Kaut and Merkley needed change of sceneries without a doubt.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
The guy getting slept on in this deal is Jacob MacDonald - he can play F or D adeptly, and while the numbers just weren’t there this year, he passes every single eye test

Reactions: Crossfire Hurricane

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Honestly I don’t really see what Merkley does for Colorado. He seems to be more of what they already have in spades.

It really is 2 deals at the same time.

1. Veterans. Nieto is likely the player the AVs wanted. Familiar with the system, good PK and excellent teammate. Macdonald has fallen on the depth and a salary dump.

2. Prospects. Kaut for Merkley are both longshots. SJ gets a young scoring forward AVs fill the shallow RHD depth. Change of scenery for players unable to produce.

AVs getting serviceable Nieto for their PK is the immediate winner. Prospects might develop with their new teams and fair swap.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
It really is 2 deals at the same time.

1. Veterans. Nieto is likely the player the AVs wanted. Familiar with the system, good PK and excellent teammate. Macdonald has fallen on the depth and a salary dump.

2. Prospects. Kaut for Merkley are both longshots. SJ gets a young scoring forward AVs fill the shallow RHD depth. Change of scenery for players unable to produce.

AVs getting serviceable Nieto for their PK is the immediate winner. Prospects might develop with their new teams and fair swap.
Disagree. It’s prospect for vet and vet for prospect.

Nieto for Kaut and MacDonald for Merkley. Sharks get a young wing that might have some untapped upside for their winger. Sharks get rid of a headache and take back a contract.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Colorado has been playing with 7D lately so Nieto is probably a welcome addition to the lanche bottom 6F.

Merkley will probably stay in the Loveland for the time being unless the lanche lose another defender to injury, same goes with Kaut as he should stay in the AHL as San Jose has forwards that are better then Kaut.

MacDonald will probably serve as the 6-7 defender with the Sharks competing with Harrington.
Lanche? What the hell is a lanche. You mean Avs?

I like this trade for the Avs. They need RHD in their system.

kaut is a very good AHL player.

Reactions: Patagonia

Steerpike

We are never give up
Feb 15, 2014
Colorado
This could turn out to be this years Brandon Hagel trade.
In ... what way? It's more directly comparable to Colorado acquiring Cogliano last year. Picking up hard working fast veterans in anticipation of a deep playoff run.

A Hagel trade is a trade for a decent but not amazing player for what seems like far too many assets. Except the decent player is on an incredible contract for at least one more season. Ryan Hartman if the Wild were sellers basically. I don't think the Avs are in that horrible of a contract situation to need to do that.

While I love Girard and and loath to part with him. He's struggled recently. The form he's shown in the past means others likely feel the same. And he's 24. It's not like defensemen are washed at 24. I don't think he currently has any major asset value, but I doubt he's seen as a negative, especially for a rebuilding team. So there's room to maneuver.... if only every other defenseman for the Avs weren't perpetually injured that is.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Which is more likely?

The Avs and Sharks talked initially about a change of scenery trade for some of their prospects who have struggled and then when they realized the challenges with those prospects they decided something more was needed to do the deal.

Or was the initial discussion about Nieto and McDonald but they then saw the opportunity to swap out struggling prospects.

Pertti

Dec 1, 2019
I feel Avalanche lost this simple because they took/ had to take Merkley.

Nieto is best player in the deal. That is saying something.

Reactions: Mattb124

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad