Confirmed Trade: [COL/PHI] Sean Walker and 2026 5th round pick for 2025 1st round pick (top 10 protected) and Ryan Johansen

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
This is a nice trade for the Avs. Walker is really going to fit in well with how they play.

I don't think they're done (they could use Girard for Byram to acquire a forward), but a blueline of:
Toews-Makar
Byram-Walker
Girard-Manson

Looks excellent.

Reactions: Team Cozens

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Hilarious how needing to trade a 1st in part to dump a contract they acquired 8 months ago for no reason is viewed as this big win for the Avs.

MacFarland has been putting on an absolute disaster class since taking over the GM role.
Oh, it's less than ideal. But I'm happy they're not buying into sunk cost fallacy and sticking with RyJo. He is awful. The worst option here would have been doubling down on RyJo and refusing to pay a bit extra to dump him out of pride.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Oh, it's less than ideal. But I'm happy they're not buying into sunk cost fallacy and sticking with RyJo. He is awful. The worst option here would have been doubling down on RyJo and refusing to pay a bit extra to dump him out of pride.
Yeah, at least CMac rectified the mistake.

And it's not like it was a 1st to dump RyJo. Most of the cost of this trade was acquiring Walker.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGoldenJet

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
Johansen was a pure failure as a target for Colorado. Cost to dump his sucks but atleast they got a player back too

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
For sure, it's just baffling that they traded for him in the first place especially without Nashville attaching any picks.

Reactions: Nihiliste

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I love how a GM is smart for paying to dump a contract they got like 5 months ago. A smart GM would have just avoided the bad contract, no?

I mean the initial move can not work out and the resulting action still be wise…

I’m not sure why people think every move has to be a binary win or loss.

Smart of Philly to get a 1st for Walker. Also smart for the Avs to get off of RyJo’s salary and get a really solid RHD in the process.

People thinking this is “a 1st to dump RyJo” are missing the fact that the Avs are getting a guy who has been a very good second pairing level two-way defenseman who surely would have net a 2nd on his own.

Walker is a really good add. I think the value and fit is there and easily rational for both sides in this deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad