Confirmed with Link: [COL/MTL] Daniel Briere for P.A. Parenteau & 5th round pick

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
On Cup winning teams or very strong contenders, yeah, that's where those two should play.

Well the cup winning Kings had Marian Gaborik didn't they? What did he do in the post season before this one? Nothing.

They were a team starved for goals, and they got a goal scoring threat to play with Kopitar. I wonder what Patches would be doing with Kopitar

JAVO16

Sep 21, 2008
Montréal
Many of you look at the goals scored during the regular season and don't bother to look at his game. Let me go completely off the board and give an extreme example.

Yashin had 4 seasons of either 30 or 40 goals and I think two of more than 20. How many of you would choose Yashin over Gallagher?

I'm not saying Patches is another Yashin but he has big holes in his game that really make me want to trade him for a comparable scoring winger but one who has a more complete game.

And it's not one playoff run. It's two playoffs plus a no-show at the Olympics. When it comes to games that matter, Patches game can not cope. For the most part he is a perimeter player who is on a line with two smurfs who are expected to go into the corners to dig out the puck for him. That works during the regular season when teams are pacing themselves but it's a recipe for disaster in the playoffs when teams crank up the intensity of their play.

In a 30 team league he may be a first line winger but you don't win Cups with his style of hockey.

This has got to be a joke, right ?

Man, this guy has gone off the deep end.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I don't entirely disagree with onice here.

It all depend on the definition of a first liner. For many it all about points production for others, it all about how they're used (like me).

I'm not saying Patches isn't a first liner....yet, mainly cause he's stock with DD and that provide him with very sheltered ice-time.

For me, first liners are players you can throw on the ice against anybody and came out on top most of the time. DD's line are surgically used and are only on the ice with good ice-time and if they're not, they usually are dominated on the ice.

First liner can be thrown on D-zone start, O-zone start, against toughest opposition etc etc. That's really not the case of our so-called first line.

If we looked at ES time per game, it shouldn't surprise anybody that Patches and DD comes only at #96 and #97 for forwards in the NHL last season. That's pretty much why "onice" is saying that Patches isn't a first liner and he's right.

I would be happier with a Pacioretty scoring 30 goals and playing well in all game situations, than a 40 goals Pacioretty playing only in extremely sheltered ice-time.

Since Pacthes started to play some PK, i think he could prove to be a first liner....but not as long as he's playing with DD.

Last edited:

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
When players are Habs they realize that they are a part of a team not the 1st,2nd 3rd or tenth best player, just a part of the team with a particular role to execute. This is a fact not gobbly goop, when fans realize this instead of worrying about whose 1st line or not, then you start becoming a Hab fan. The rest is just being absorbed with self induced preconceived ideas of how NHL teams should be made, sorry to say but step back and think about life in general. If it was that easy, each one of our fans would have already been GM of the Habs, don't you think?:laugh::laugh::laugh:

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
No and it shows reading your comments, also he scored the game winner vs Tampa and boston, If anything he has to better when it doesn't matter and not JUST when it does, so where are you getting this stuff? Also wasn't he injured during his Olympics?(could be mistaken)I agree he has to be better in the playoffs but you my friend are way off base and you should hope that you are just horribly biased against patches or else sadly I can easily say hockey's not for you if you think patches is a second line player and pap is a third liner

I also think that Pap should not be a 1st or 2nd line player.

Habs sure as heck would not have paid Daniel Briere if he was that good. I mean, Roy and Sakic just wanted to help Mtl out by giving up pap (and a pick!)for a washed up 4th liner. Berge would also have pulled the trade with Bourque, etc.

Sure, show me pap stats to prove your pts because yes pap can ride a stud center (who can't?),etc. but that is not the whole picture. Sometimes when teams treat a player like a hot potato... There might be reason.

I figure that the best scenario would be to put pap on the PP and on the 4th line. He would always be fresh for the PP. Don't know if the other players would like it, however. (Losing PP to a guy that plays 4th line mins)

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
This has to be one of the silliest discussions I've seen in a while.

2013-2014 best scoring left wingers
Max Pacioretty: 1st in goals, 11th in points

2012-2013 best scoring left wingers
Max Pacioretty: 14th in goals, 9th in points

2011-2012 best scoring left wingers
Max Pacioretty: 7th in goals, 11 in points

He's Top 15 in the league for ALL LEFT WINGERS yet people are arguing he's not a first line player!?

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal

He's Top 15 in the league for ALL LEFT WINGERS yet people are arguing he's not a first line player!?
There are only 8 first lines in the entire NHL.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada

I'd say he's top-10. Past 3 years:

3rd in GPG for left wings

9th in PPG for left wings

Either way though, saying he's not a 1st-line winger is insane :shakehead

PricePkPatch*

I'd say he's top-10. Past 3 years:

3rd in GPG for left wings

9th in PPG for left wings

Either way though, saying he's not a 1st-line winger is insane :shakehead

But.. But...

Line matchup..
Offensive zone starts...
Power play time...

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
BtFeezlCAAAjixW.jpg

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON

Already an entitled attitude, obviously out of shape and playing golf instead of being in the gym, buy him out :shakehead
Seriously though, it's probably just a picture taken at the exact moment when he exhaled, like that Emelin pic from a few years back where he looked like a fat plumber and people were freaking out for a week about it :P

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I don't entirely disagree with onice here.

It all depend on the definition of a first liner. For many it all about points production for others, it all about how they're used (like me).

I'm not saying Patches isn't a first liner....yet, mainly cause he's stock with DD and that provide him with very sheltered ice-time.

For me, first liners are players you can throw on the ice against anybody and came out on top most of the time. DD's line are surgically used and are only on the ice with good ice-time and if they're not, they usually are dominated on the ice.

First liner can be thrown on D-zone start, O-zone start, against toughest opposition etc etc. That's really not the case of our so-called first line.

If we looked at ES time per game, it shouldn't surprise anybody that Patches and DD comes only at #96 and #97 for forwards in the NHL last season. That's pretty much why "onice" is saying that Patches isn't a first liner and he's right.

I would be happier with a Pacioretty scoring 30 goals and playing well in all game situations, than a 40 goals Pacioretty playing only in extremely sheltered ice-time.

Since Pacthes started to play some PK, i think he could prove to be a first liner....but not as long as he's playing with DD.

Thank you. You said it much better than I ever could.

Davebo*

Parenteau said he hasn't yet learned where he'll play in the Canadiens lineup, but he's not concerned about finding his spot on the team.

"Obviously, I'm a top-six forward," Parenteau said. "This is where I want to play and I'm sure I'm going to have a chance to play here but I have to be ready and will do so."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=457646

Careful there, PA! :amazed: MT is not your typical everyday coach. Who knows WHERE you'll end up.... ;)

Parenteau15

Sep 27, 2009
Laval, QC
He said to RDS or TVA Sports (I forgot where) he starts tomorrow morning to train with Pierre Allard in Brossard. I don't know if other players will be with him, maybe Gilbert but eh, he will have plenty of time to train alone. lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad