Confirmed Trade: [COL/LA] Jarome Iginla (50% retained) for a conditional 2018 4th rounder

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Pretty spot on.

The trade in and of itself was fine. Not like we gave up much.

The issue I have is that it's not the move we needed in order to improve dramatically.

Agreed. The most likely result is that you gave up nothing, which is fine even for the Avs because we knew just how awful Iggy has become over the season.

It wasn't a matter of trying to get value for the guy, it was a matter of Sakic doing right by a well respected veteran and friend for one last attempt at a cup somewhere else that had a better chance(Even if not a great one) then the Avs had which was less then 0%.

Anything Iggy adds to the Kings is a bonus, but the expectations should and I think were very low among most Kings fans. Really do hope he can provide something for you guys though. But so far he has looked no different then he did with the Avs.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
The Iginla defenders are hilarious. He scored a goal, big deal. He hasn't looked any different with the Kings then he did with the Avs. He's still completely useless 90% of the time.

He scored goals with the Avs as well.

That said, I am rooting for him and the Kings to do well and make playoffs. Dont think they are close to being a cup contender but would also love to be proven wrong on that front as well, as Iggy deserves a cup before he retires.

But you're kidding yourselves if you think he's any better on the Kings then he was on the Avs.

I will not argue about your iginla on the avs as i have not seen them as much as you have. However the Iginla i have seen in la is far from useless so far in la. Hes playing physical and interested in the game to me. Trust me i've seen players of which your speaking of especially this year on the kings (gaborik come to mind) Iginla is far from done. Hes doing exactly what is needed scoring 2 goals so far on the pp and is getting better each game hes played As i said before we heard the same thing exactly about vinnie last year and so far they have been wrong

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
He's slow and can barely skate, but he's physical, he's still a dick in scrums and can shoot it on the PP. He's bringing an aspect the Kings have needed since Lucic left.

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
The Kings have the structure and personnel to take advantage of what Iggy has left, and minimize his deficiencies - in the short-term at least - in a way that the Avalanche likely could not. I'm certain he's feeling the rejuvenating buzz of the trade, too, but we'll see how long that lasts and if that's all he's got going for him. It's looking good so far - Lombardi seems to have an eye for vets who have more to give.

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
He's slow and can barely skate...

I don't know. His skating looks OK to me and he's not that slow. He actually surprised me a few times with his quickness. I suppose that he's like Gaborik: capable of being quick, but his body is old, so he can't motor all of the time and has to carefully pick when to expend the energy to skate his fastest.

Reaper45 said:
but he's physical, he's still a dick in scrums...

I got a laugh last night out of how Johansen gave him a little shove in the back after the whistle, the kind that less physical players would just take and skate away from, and Iginla immediately turned around to confront him. It was funny because, evidently, Johansen was just being friendly and playful, but, before realizing that, Iginla was all ready to get up in his face for it.

I'm a tad surprised that he hasn't fought yet. I predicted that he'd get into a scrap in either his first or second game with LA just to accelerate bonding with his new teammates. Perhaps he's saving it for a moment when it'll really count.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The Iginla defenders are hilarious. He scored a goal, big deal. He hasn't looked any different with the Kings then he did with the Avs. He's still completely useless 90% of the time.

But you're kidding yourselves if you think he's any better on the Kings then he was on the Avs.

Iginla's stat line last night was over 20 minutes TOI, 2 goals, 7 hits, 6 SOG. Those are season highs in literally every category (shots tied). That's a little different. Not going to pretend he's a savior and I certainly don't expect that every night but you're going out of your way to hate on him because that's far from useless/different than described.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
I watched the kings game last night, Iginla is still slow and has hands of stone, but he's hustling pretty hard and playing physical. Better than what he showed on the Avs.

linusandvarlamov

GO AVS GO !
Apr 2, 2014
Paris, France
Hopefully Iggy goes BEAST mode for the rest of the year, Kings manage to get into the playoffs with a nice showing and management decides to give him a contract. :D

It'd always be nice to pick up a 4th rounder. :popcorn:

Kings4thecup

Aug 16, 2010
Sacramento, CA
I watched the kings game last night, Iginla is still slow and has hands of stone, but he's hustling pretty hard and playing physical. Better than what he showed on the Avs.

His first goal definitely wasn't "hands of stone" and the second goal was a snipe.

Iginla definitely looks slow out there, and makes some poor choices when he's hurried, but he can shoot, and clog the front of the net. Not bad for free. Hopefully he can keep it going.

yankeeking

Jun 4, 2007
I.E.

We all know this trade was from one HOF player to another to get that last shot and with people that he knows blah blah blah, and will give you he's slower than before but to say he has hands of stone ****ing hilarious , his hands were good enough to beat a world class goalie in close twice and he is only a hair from having chemistry with gabby and kopi only missing plays that if they can click on gives us that more hope ........and you want to see hands of stone look around the number 22 not 88 lol:sarcasm:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
When vets are on garbage teams like the Avs with a toxic locker room and **** poor on ice talent they tend to float around or play with lack of fire. Its tough to bring it every night in that environment. On a new team there is a sense of rejuvenation and that fire gets lit again and they start to look good again

I really wanted Iggy at the TDL because I knew hed look better on a new team. Once you escape a bad team, you tend to play like a new player. I saw this happen all to often on the Oilers with a number of players they traded. Horcoff to Stars and Hemsky to Sens being one

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Now according to Av fans Iginla has "hands of stone". Can't wait to see what they claim about him next

They aren't claims. He was trash in Colorado this year. He's in a much better spot on the Kings and I expect him to look better, but he's a shadow of his former self.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
doesnt this feel like iginla wants to be proud of his legacy... and also win a cup? 2 of his buddies are in colorado. they tell iginla this is a team on the verge of great things with lots of young talent that can benefit from his leadership

so he signs for 3 years buying the song and dance

and then reality happens

now iginla thinks he wasted his last 3 years of his career? his legacy took a face kick. fans say he useless

old players can play if they stay motivated but where was his motivation in colorado? he was tricked into signing there... lied to and betrayed

iginla wanted to be a 1 team only career guy and now hes been on 5 teams in 5 years.

i dont know what the future holds for iginla but fans who think hof studs cant still go at 40 havent been paying attention. the question comes down to desire... to heart... the pain is harder to play through when older... has iginla lost his heart?

its a good gamble for LA. im sure iginla will appreciate playing for a professional organization again after the colorado horror. but im sad his career has gone this way since leaving Calgary

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
doesnt this feel like iginla wants to be proud of his legacy... and also win a cup? 2 of his buddies are in colorado. they tell iginla this is a team on the verge of great things with lots of young talent that can benefit from his leadership

so he signs for 3 years buying the song and dance

and then reality happens

now iginla thinks he wasted his last 3 years of his career? his legacy took a face kick. fans say he useless

old players can play if they stay motivated but where was his motivation in colorado? he was tricked into signing there... lied to and betrayed

iginla wanted to be a 1 team only career guy and now hes been on 5 teams in 5 years.

i dont know what the future holds for iginla but fans who think hof studs cant still go at 40 havent been paying attention. the question comes down to desire... to heart... the pain is harder to play through when older... has iginla lost his heart?

its a good gamble for LA. im sure iginla will appreciate playing for a professional organization again after the colorado horror. but im sad his career has gone this way since leaving Calgary

Ya, that's not what happened at all.

Colorado was one of the only teams that offered him the 3rd year on the deal along with his family having a say where they should live for the next 3 years. Colorado was coming off a season where they won the division and looked poised to take the next step. A combination of a multitude of factors (including replacing Stastny with Iginla) completely derailed the rebuild.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA

Hands of stone? You must have watched a different game than the one I was at. A guy that has score like he has throughout his career clearly does not have "hands of stone".

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006
I think it comes down to system a lot, its harder for older players to thrive in systems built around high tempo offense and speed. Kings system is all cycling, so strength is more important than skating speed. Its easier to retain your strength than your speed when you get older.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Always fun having opposing teams fans offer garbage for trades, then after said garbage is traded, make sure to rub it in Avs fans faces... fun cycle... To all of you who do that **** off. He was rough on the Avs and mailed it in all year.

That said. I'm hoping Iggy gets a shot. The guys a legend. It's just a shame he was only giving 50% half the time he played on the Avs.

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
I won't try to pinpoint what exactly is wrong on the Avs, but there seems to be something terribly wrong (aside from their placement in the standings).

I predicted that Iginla had more left than what he was showing. Why? Because I really feel that MacKinnon, Duchene and Landeskog are ALL better than what they have been showing. Heck, look at a guy like Joe Colborne. People can point and laugh all they want about the quality of a player he is, but you have to go back 5 years in his career where he played 10 games for Toronto to see him equal his output for this year.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=101538

Let that sink in.

If Jarome was doing poorly, but at least some of the players on the Avs were having good seasons even though the team as a whole was not experiencing any success, I would have bet against him showing like he had anything left.

Did everyone on the Avs simply give up? Is it systems-related? I personally have no idea, and it won't be fair of me to venture a guess as I don't follow them closely enough to have any insight. Other teams going through rebuilds still have guys that put up points - some even end up having career years as they get more opportunity than they normally do as the lack of depth allows for more ice-time.

Jarome is turning 40 this year, so of course he is a shell of his former self. Any player - even Jagr - is a shell of his former self than he was at his prime. He is just not AS terrible as he was on the AVs, and I am guessing that at least half of the Avs' roster is not as terrible as they are showing.

Hopefully LA makes it into the playoffs. I am personally really curious to see how much Iginla has left in his tank through the rest of the season and (hopefully) into the playoffs.

Yarborough

This is not a robbery, I swear!
Mar 14, 2015
YYC
Yeah, Iggy is pretty much done. He might be useful with reduced ice time but it's not like putting him on LA will make him any better, it will just kinda mask his deficiencies some of the time. Good for him scoring a goal though.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
Yeah, Iggy is pretty much done. He might be useful with reduced ice time but it's not like putting him on LA will make him any better, it will just kinda mask his deficiencies some of the time. Good for him scoring a goal though.

He got two goals. Two goals in a single game with LA. You know how many 2 goal games he had with the Avs this season? Zero

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad