Confirmed with Link: [COL/CBJ] Ryan Stanton for Cody Goloubef

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
If we're out of it, I hope this is finally the year where we sell off expiring guys at the deadline. We seem to never do that for whatever reason.

That's because every off season Sakic signs at least one of those old, nearing retirement players thinking his team is a contender and those players are a quick fix, and that's why this team never seem to get rid of those expiring guys.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I dont think we're out of it at all right now. We're 5 points back sure. But we have 3 games in hand. You win 2/3 of those games in hand and we're just 1 point back. Our next game is also against one of the teams we're chasing for a playoff spot really.

That said, I agree with the rest of your post except the Iggy part. It comes down to a judgement call for Joe and McFarland. In my opinion, If we're anymore then ~7 points out, without having at least 2-3 games in hand on the teams we're chasing we are out of it. If we're within 5 points we're still in the thick of it. That's how I see it come deadline time. 20 Games is enough time to gain 5 points, especially if we have a couple games specifically against the teams we're chasing. But 7 points is a lot harder to make up.

As for Iggy. I think it comes down to Iggy simply going to Sakic and telling him he wants to chase a cup. He's talked about it a bit already and although he hasn't specifically said that's what he wants to do, I think he has hinted at it a couple times. I think unless the Avs season does a 180 and we're comfortably in a playoff spot, he'll want to go somewhere he knows he's playing hockey in May and likely with a legitimate shot at going to the finals. Even if Iggy doesn't go to Sakic, I think Sakic recognizes the significance of it and eventually goes to Iggy himself and has that conversation.

My money is on an Iggy trade to Washington. Just a gut feeling, but they already have a pretty deep team, and Iggy could be a cheap buy for them(Probably only costs a 4th or 5th rounder if that) and in a 3rd line role with some decent players could add some good scoring depth to a team that's already very deep.

I get that about the 5 points out and games in hand (seriously it's ridiculous that Calgary has played 5 more games than us) but we literally will be having this same conversation in mid February. No team is more than 7 points out right now. And I'm sure by then a few tankers will emerge, but not many. It's not so much about points either, it's teams to climb over. Sure a good week that yields 6 points makes a difference but that also has to mean every single team in front doesn't have a good week or get in a damn 3 point game against eachother. I'm not writing off the season right now, I just don't see how there's going to be much more clarity when the time comes.

I'm sure if Iggy asks Sakic will oblige but he says he wants to go to the playoffs with this group and again that lack of clarity comes up. Plus I don't see how a guy who has played every single game over 2+ seasons is ready to just hang it up when this year is over. I don't think it's his last hurrah. I guess we'll see, their approach has to change at some point I guess.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
That's because every off season Sakic signs at least one of those old, nearing retirement players thinking his team is a contender and those players are a quick fix, and that's why this team never seem to get rid of those expiring guys.

:laugh:

Just like how the Leafs think they're contenders when they signed Polak this summer. Or Arizona when it signed Vrbata. Or Carolina when they re-signed Hainsey.

Every team in the league signs these same guys every summer as the Avs. It's not Sakic thinking the team is a quick fix away from contending. That line of thinking is so narrow minded and completely ridiculous.

I get that about the 5 points out and games in hand (seriously it's ridiculous that Calgary has played 5 more games than us) but we literally will be having this same conversation in mid February. No team is more than 7 points out right now. And I'm sure by then a few tankers will emerge, but not many. It's not so much about points either, it's teams to climb over. Sure a good week that yields 6 points makes a difference but that also has to mean every single team in front doesn't have a good week or get in a damn 3 point game against eachother. I'm not writing off the season right now, I just don't see how there's going to be much more clarity when the time comes.

I'm sure if Iggy asks Sakic will oblige but he says he wants to go to the playoffs with this group and again that lack of clarity comes up. Plus I don't see how a guy who has played every single game over 2+ seasons is ready to just hang it up when this year is over. I don't think it's his last hurrah. I guess we'll see, their approach has to change at some point I guess.

With the bolded, I would agree that there's a pretty big likelihood that we're within that 7 point range of a playoff spot one way or another. I guess that's kind of just the way the league is today with the salary cap and the style of play that teams are using. Very little separates probably 70% of the league from each other and the Avs are apart of that 70% right now.

I guess it'll depend on Sakic and ownership more then anything. If he recognizes that this team could use a few more picks this year and could use some continued improvement in the farm system, then he'll probably look at making a few sell trades. It's not necessarily a sign that the team is mailing it in and not making a push for playoffs, but just adding more assets to the team while giving the young guys a chance to play and prove themselves.

Part of the problem is that at the end of the day this team is still a business that needs to make money to succeed. It's a lot tougher for the marketing team to sell this is a good service to pay for if they make those type of selling trades at the deadline while still competing for a playoff spot.

It's a really tough spot to be in for Joe. I have no doubt that he's a smart enough guy to realize that selling when we're on the outside looking in come February is the right way to go for the team in the long run. But he's also gotta try and make the team profitable as well. As fans with no monetary investment we just want to see them win even if it means another 2-3 years of non playoff hockey. But for the owners that means 2-3 more years of potentially losing a lot of money.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I know Sakic wants playoffs badly but for what specific reason I don't know. If it's more competitive, pride or money driven, probably some of both. I'll save my speech on the Kronekes but they have their fingers in every aspect of the team's existence and operation there's just no way to know where they are making and losing money. I'm sure success leads to more profits but between the radio, tv, ticketing, venue, etc side it's far from just an attendance scope.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
:laugh:

Just like how the Leafs think they're contenders when they signed Polak this summer. Or Arizona when it signed Vrbata. Or Carolina when they re-signed Hainsey.

Thanks for making my point by mentioning Leafs, Yotes and Canes doing the same thing Sakic is doing because Avs are actually becoming on a par with those teams (bottom feeders) I don't know what you tried to do there to be honest, but you did prove my point.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Thanks for making my point by mentioning Leafs, Yotes and Canes doing the same thing Sakic is doing because Avs are actually becoming on a par with those teams (bottom feeders) I don't know what you tried to do there to be honest, but you did prove my point.

No, your point in the post PH quoted was that Sakic was signing these guys as "last hole to plug for the cup run." Which was yet another dig at everything Avs out of you. Your point in OTHER posts may be that the Avs are bottom feeders (though appearances can be deceiving...with wins in the games in hand, the Avs are 2nd wildcard). But in that one, you explicitly stated that Sakic thinks "his team is a contender and those players are a quick fix".

Comparing the Avs signings to those of the bottom feeders was meant to make it abundantly clear that even teams that clearly acknowledge they are not playoffs bound will sign vets to fill roster spots, for various reasons (mentor, cheap, trade bait, plug holes, etc.). But teams in all situations sign vets. Detroit signed Steve Ott. LA signed Tom Gilbert. Hell, Anaheim signed Guenin as well as a trio of 30 year olds. And so on. Those are teams that are anywhere near bottom feeders this past offseason. Yet they signed vets that are arguably on the same level as the ones we signed. Bottom feeders, bubble teams, playoffs teams and contenders....ALL of them sign vets every offseason. Using Sakic's signing of vets as evidence of some delusion of being a cup contender is asinine.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
I wanted Ottawa to pick Goloubef up for right side depth for some time now (we have Kostka waiting in the wings lol). He really should be in the NHL but things were not working in Columbus both from a mixture of injuries and Torts didn't seem to be a fan.

I think you guys might be pleasantly surprised if he gets onto the big roster. Moves the puck out of the zone well. Plays a simple game. I'd say his footspeed is a bit above average but you don't want him straying from position too much. Wins a good amount of board battles. Decent point shot.

Should be paired with a more defensive guy in my opinion so he can use his offense a bit more. Probably won't be good if he gets paired with Wiercioch.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
When San Antonio gets a bit healthier, Goloubef will be with the NHL club.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Who is getting sacrificed? Gelinas? I don't think they carry 8D.

That is who I'd expect, but I could see 8D as long as SA gets somewhat healthy (might be a long shot).

I think Goloubef can be a decent 6/7 if he can stay healthy. With a good bottom pairing partner, he can probably be a regular.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Now the only injured defenseman is Bigras, they can't leave Lashoff as the only vet down there. Not that I disagree Bednar and Pratt are going to want to get a look at him eventually.

Last edited:

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I know Sakic wants playoffs badly but for what specific reason I don't know. If it's more competitive, pride or money driven, probably some of both. I'll save my speech on the Kronekes but they have their fingers in every aspect of the team's existence and operation there's just no way to know where they are making and losing money. I'm sure success leads to more profits but between the radio, tv, ticketing, venue, etc side it's far from just an attendance scope.

You don't know what specific reason a GM of an NHL team wants to make the playoffs? Sure, money and income likely are a nice bonus, but it's purely competitive. These guys, especially ex-Players, still have that drive to compete. And in today's NHL, any team that makes the PO's has a chance to do some damage.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
You don't know what specific reason a GM of an NHL team wants to make the playoffs? Sure, money and income likely are a nice bonus, but it's purely competitive. These guys, especially ex-Players, still have that drive to compete. And in today's NHL, any team that makes the PO's has a chance to do some damage.

What Cinderella team has gone far in the playoffs other than teams with championship pedigree? How many different teams have even made the conference finals in the last 5-8 years.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Now the only injured defenseman is Bigras, they can't leave Lashoff as the only vet down there. Not that I disagree Bednar and Pratt are going to want to get a look at him eventually.

Bigras is pretty much who I mean. They need some semblance of 2 way talent before Goloubef can be moved up. For now, Goloubef can handle some offense down there (and gather some confidence) before his January call up.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
It is just sad that what is not good enough for Columbus is good enough for us!

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
What Cinderella team has gone far in the playoffs other than teams with championship pedigree? How many different teams have even made the conference finals in the last 5-8 years.

The LA Kings were an 8 seed when they won their first Cup in 2012 (so not what I'd call a "championship pedigree"). Nashville was a Wild Card team last year that went to Game 7 of the Western Conference Finals.

These things can happen, and the team has to start making the playoffs for it to begin moving into that reality.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
It is just sad that what is not good enough for Columbus is good enough for us!

That is a very simplistic response... The Rychel trade has a lot to do with Goloubef not getting his chance in Columbus this year (and Torts hates Goloubef).

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
That is a very simplistic response... The Rychel trade has a lot to do with Goloubef not getting his chance in Columbus this year (and Torts hates Goloubef).

I was not responding to anything, just stating the obvious.

Tyutin, Bodnarchuk, Rene Bourque, Jack Skille and now this guy... and i must be missing others.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I was not responding to anything, just stating the obvious.

Tyutin, Bodnarchuk, Rene Bourque, Jack Skille and now this guy... and i must be missing others.

So a 'statement' based on who else is here without evaluating Goloubef and the trade itself... okay.

All front office execs that move around tend to attach to players they know... MacFarland is no different.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
So a 'statement' based on who else is here without evaluating Goloubef and the trade itself... okay.

All front office execs that move around tend to attach to players they know... MacFarland is no different.

I'm already bracing myself for the Jack Johnson trade.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
No, your point in the post PH quoted was that Sakic was signing these guys as "last hole to plug for the cup run." Which was yet another dig at everything Avs out of you. Your point in OTHER posts may be that the Avs are bottom feeders (though appearances can be deceiving...with wins in the games in hand, the Avs are 2nd wildcard). But in that one, you explicitly stated that Sakic thinks "his team is a contender and those players are a quick fix".

Comparing the Avs signings to those of the bottom feeders was meant to make it abundantly clear that even teams that clearly acknowledge they are not playoffs bound will sign vets to fill roster spots, for various reasons (mentor, cheap, trade bait, plug holes, etc.). But teams in all situations sign vets. Detroit signed Steve Ott. LA signed Tom Gilbert. Hell, Anaheim signed Guenin as well as a trio of 30 year olds. And so on. Those are teams that are anywhere near bottom feeders this past offseason. Yet they signed vets that are arguably on the same level as the ones we signed. Bottom feeders, bubble teams, playoffs teams and contenders....ALL of them sign vets every offseason. Using Sakic's signing of vets as evidence of some delusion of being a cup contender is asinine.

I'm not sure about this, just taking a guess, but the teams like the Leafs, Yotes, Canes probably signed those vets mentioned to get to cap floor, or fill roster spots. Teams like the Kings sign vets because they're still playoff and cup contenders. Avs barely have cap room yet they still sign Beauchemin, Tyutin, Iginla every year, and every year those vets do nothing but take up unnecessary cap space and handicap the Avs.

They certainly don't help the Avs making the playoffs as we see every year Sakic sign this vets. I'm not sure if there is much mentoring going on either, and they don't need this vets to get to cap floor because Avs are almost at cap ceiling when Sakic signs this old guys.

Sakic is probably signing this guys for 2 reasons. He thinks they might help the team make the playoffs, and fill roster spots until more young players are NHL ready, like Bigras. I would just give Bigras the chance rather than signing Tyutin since Tyutin isn't gonna help making the playoffs

Last edited:

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Sakic seems to have learned and only signed Vets to short deals. Far different than the Stuart, Iginla, etc signings. And only Tyutin was a significant salary. He missed on Boeds and I'm sure a couple other signings on younger guys that probably required term

I think it is within reason to believe his outlook on this team has changed. The real test or sign of how he feels about this squad will be how/who he acquires this remaining season and next offseason regarding his boon of cap space.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
I agree with Sakic wanting the playoffs every year. The NHL is a very easy league to make the playoffs in, over half of the league goes. If you believe that you have a core that can bring you a championship, consistently finishing in the top half of the league should be a baseline minimum for going forward. The fact that the Avs cannot seem to do this is concerning, especially since we have a core that has been together for a while.

In my mind, either you're making the playoffs or you should be rebuilding. If this Avs cannot finish in the top half of the league again, I'm 100% down to nuke it all. You can be average, hell you can be below average and continually make the playoffs. We're not even there yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad