Confirmed Signing with Link: [COL] Avalanche re-sign F Valeri Nichushkin (8 years, $6.125M AAV)

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
That was my first thought as well, however, up until this past season when he saw 19 minutes per game, he had averaged just 13:53 of ice time for his career

Is it a contract I would've given him? No, but then I don't watch him game in, and game out, and during daily practices, so I'm probably not as qualified as Sakic is to make that call

Given how little he's played throughout his career, at the very least, he should be well rested throughout the next 8 years
If his trajectory stays or increases then its a steal of a deal for Colorado for sure. It was a career year for him but every player has a career year at some point. Maybe it took playing with extremely talented players like MacKinnon to get him to where we all thought he should of been when in Dallas. Dallas HAD those players before Seguin and Benn started having reoccurring health issues and when he was paired with Radulov while a good player he was never at or anywhere near MacKinnon level.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

ThunderRoad

Apr 24, 2006
Tampa
Something everyone seems to be forgetting is not just are we coming out of flat cap years... but US inflation was 8.6% thos last year. In 2021 dollars $6.125 becomes $6.125/1.086 = $5.64.

It will take the cap a bit to adjust, but you would generally expect it to outpace inflation.

Like by a lot even.

Most of us have lived our whole lives at about 2% inflation year on year. It's hard to get used to a world where things get 9% more expensive each year, but thems the breaks.

The point about inflation is good; however, that seems like it would factor into the salary cap increases being more conservative going forward, not aligning with the cap increasing to compensate for it. Operating expenses become more, owners make less money in the end, cap doesn’t increase like historically it has (pre flat cap). Shouldn't be a flat cap situation but it's not going to help the cap go up, and might impact it for a considerable length of time.

Steerpike

We are never give up
Feb 15, 2014
Colorado
The point about inflation is good; however, that seems like it would factor into the salary cap increases being more conservative going forward, not aligning with the cap increasing to compensate for it. Operating expenses become more, owners make less money in the end, cap doesn’t increase like historically it has (pre flat cap). Shouldn't be a flat cap situation but it's not going to help the cap go up, and might impact it for a considerable length of time.
Inflation is more dollars chasing the same number of goods. That absolutely includes NHL tickets.

Sometimes certain sectors of the economy have their wages lag considerably behind inflation, but somehow I doubt that the people buying outrageously expensive box seats and front row tickets are going to be that group.... Actually if poor people aren't seeing more money that means basically all of the new money is in the hands of NHL ticket purchasers.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Russian Factor

Jan 8, 2015
Pittsburgh
This is a good contract. Last year wasn't some aberration he just finally started getting better usage. He aint the Dallas guy anymore if he keeps playing top 6 hes gonna be the same player as last year or even better. I honestly think he could keep improving somewhat

ThunderRoad

Apr 24, 2006
Tampa
Inflation is more dollars chasing the same number of goods. That absolutely includes NHL tickets.

Sometimes certain sectors of the economy have their wages lag considerably behind inflation, but somehow I doubt that the people buying outrageously expensive box seats and front row tickets are going to be that group.... Actually if poor people aren't seeing more money that means basically all of the new money is in the hands of NHL ticket purchasers.
Uh, Inflation means the purchasing power of money goes down. And I'm pretty sure regular people buy tickets during the season to fill up arenas. If it starts costing regular people (and not poor people who likely couldn't afford to buy hockey tickets in the first place before inflation took off) more money for essentials, discretionary spending on entertainment likely takes a hit. Inflation isn't creating new money - creating "new money" is actually why inflation happens in the first place. Inflation impacts everyone, regardless of your socioeconomic status. Owners will make less in the end which is why you see businesses struggling even more, on the heels of the pandemic.

Got off topic, but Nichuskin's contract is a big one, and impacts what happens in free agency. Hate what it potentially means for Palat's asking price. But it's not like Tampa hasn't done this as well - given some big contracts to players considered core members. The contract extensions are starting to add up now that the cap didn't pace with the inclusion of those contracts and likely will not for some time (couldn’t have foreseen the pandemic, but now can see how inflation/possible recession might impact overall going forward in near future).

Last edited:

Steerpike

We are never give up
Feb 15, 2014
Colorado
Uh, Inflation means the purchasing power of money goes down. And I'm pretty sure regular people buy tickets during the season to fill up arenas. If it starts costing regular people (and not poor people who couldn't forward to buy hockey tickets in the first place before inflation took off) more money for essentials, discretionary spending on entertainment likely takes a hit. Inflation isn't creating new money - creating "new money" is actually why inflation happens in the first place. Inflation impacts everyone, regardless of your socioeconomic status. Owners will make less in the end which is why you see businesses struggling.
They might make less in terms of true purchasing power, but the raw number of $$s they make will almost certainly go up.

The only part of their revenue that is fixed is the ESPN deal they just signed for about $400 million a year. That's like 8% of the $5.2 billion the NHL made last year. The other 92% will rise with inflation.

Meanwhile the vast majority of NHL costs are the player salaries, which are fixed.

I feel like your impression of inflation is more akin to a recession. When people have less money for discretionary spending, prices go down. I'm not of the opinion that this much inflation is a good thing. But it usually means the economy is overheating.

Sorry I should go take this to the business side of the forum.

Jul 6, 2016
Lots of money and terms for a guy who had only ONE good season in the NHL. Crazy !

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
I don't see how Colorado could let this guy go. I also don't think people who don't watch Colorado understand that even prior to this year (not putting up the greatest stats) he has been a fantastic player. He didn't exactly come out of nowhere and put up a shocking season. He has been close to that for some time now.

Contracts for decent players aren't low now days, this isn't exactly crazy. Kid is a core type player. Colorado already has the top gun point producers, this is exactly the player they needed to keep around to win hockey games.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
As a Leafs fan who wishes they somehow were bad enough to draft Makar in 2017, I have made it a point to watch Avs games as much as possible. And this contract is perfectly fine. Nuke has been insane for a while now and people still thinking he's the same as he was in Dallas are kidding themselves. Completely different player. Wouldn't even be surprised if his production skyrockets even more with increased usage. He was alongside Makar, the overall best players during this recent cup run (rounded out by Byram).

Refalanche

Jun 23, 2022
For what he brings to the team it was vital to get him resigned. Sure, I don’t LOVE the term but he’s definitely worth 6.1 for what he currently brings to the team. I mean, he was 3rd among Avs forwards in playoff TOI with an average of 20:16 min per game (only MacKinnon and Landeskog played more). Playing against top competition every night as well.

He’s a 5v5 beast with a playing style that just fits Bednards (cup winning) system perfect. His elite defensive game has been a factor for the Avs for far longer than just one season and now, with an increase in playing time the points has also increased.

All in all a player Avs couldn’t afford to loose. At least not for a slight overpayment in AAV and term. Also, don’t forget that both the inflation and cap is going up and this contract starts to look better and better. Add in the structure of it and I think it’s a smart deal, good for both sides.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad