Confirmed Signing with Link: [COL] Avalanche re-sign F Valeri Nichushkin (8 years, $6.125M AAV)

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I think the real problem with this contract is not so much the AAV or even the term since we’ll be bad by the end of it, but that on top of those things it also has partial trade protection and has signing bonuses in the last couple of years to make it buyout proof. It won’t be something the Avs can easily pay to move and only LTIR could potentially get them out of trouble if it came to that down the road. It’s unusually for a player to get all of term, AAV, trade protection, and buyout protection but obviously Sakic and CMac view him as a core player, and Nuke clearly really wants to be able to stay in one place for the rest of his career as opposed to guys that are more ok with moving around
It's not really buyout proof, just less efficient than a standard contract. There is still savings to be had in cap hit and actual money isn't really a big deal for this owner.
A 12 team M-NTC isn't that large of a hurdle either.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Horrendous contract. Important player to the AVS i get it but he is essentially a 2way, 40ish point player that had a great playoffs.... 8 yrs is waaaaay too long for these type of players, and and 6 mil is too much.

How do the AVS even justify the fact that he is going to make what Mackinnon was making for the last 5 years?

I think they should have played hardball, they lost the negotiations both in term and in AAV which is hard to do.

Reactions: I am not exposed

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
That sounds like you may not think he is worth as much as those players. We just won't know until this year happens. I am not saying it's bad or good, just what his dollar value will be compared to.
It will be compared to similar contracts signed this off season and a few 6-8 year contracts maybe going back as far as Brayden Schenn.
Should we determine the value around the league to MacKinnon since he only makes $6.3 next year? Seems lazy not to include context.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
He averaged a 35 goal pace the entire time as a Leaf. You may not have noticed, but there was this Pandamic, and we had 2 shortened seasons. Not sure if you heard about it.

Ahhh yes, 35 goal paces deserves 11 mil. Tavares doesn’t bring nearly enough to justify paying him 11m to play 2C. You have to be completely delusional to believe otherwise. You know who else was on a 35 goal pace but only makes 6.1?

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Ahhh yes, 35 goal paces deserves 11 mil. Tavares doesn’t bring nearly enough to justify paying him 11m to play 2C. You have to be completely delusional to believe otherwise. You know who else was on a 35 goal pace but only makes 6.1?
Did you really just compare a journeyman hockey player who had 1 good season and signed an absurd 8 year contract to an NHL all star and future HoF?

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
Did you really just compare a journeyman hockey player who had 1 good season and signed an absurd 8 year contract to an NHL all star and future HoF?

I’d take what Nichushkin brings to a team today over what Tavares brings to a team today at their price tags, pretty easily. Tavares isn’t what he used to be buddy, time to take the blinders off. I think maybe as a leafs fan who’s team just traded for the worst goalie in the league statistically, you should take a step back criticizing other teams and their moves 😂

Just for fun, Nichushkin had 25 goals in 62 games, Tavares had 27 in 79 games, only one of them played pp1 for their team long term. Tavares is overpaid, by a lot.

redandyellowcametobe

Jan 4, 2019
Horrendous contract. Important player to the AVS i get it but he is essentially a 2way, 40ish point player that had a great playoffs.... 8 yrs is waaaaay too long for these type of players, and and 6 mil is too much.

How do the AVS even justify the fact that he is going to make what Mackinnon was making for the last 5 years?

I think they should have played hardball, they lost the negotiations both in term and in AAV which is hard to do.
He had a 7x7 offer from and east coast team so…

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Great for Nichushkin and Avalanche. Nichushkin play very well both side of the ice.
Look JVR, Galagher Reinhart and Monahan contract. All are paid more than Nichushkin.
I just hope he can put same number than last year 52 pts in 62 game
It is absolutely great for Nichushikin but it is only great for the Avalanche if he has finally arrived and continues to put up 25 goals a season the contract will be great but if he regresses to just being a solid defensive 3rd line forward that contract is a boat anchor regardless of the defensive metrics.
All 4 players you noted were consistent (each had 3 plus years of 20 plus goals and 50 pts) scorers in the league BEFORE they got a $6M+ a year contract.

RockyMtnRedhawk

Feb 25, 2014
Denver
No surprise by the responses in this thread. Us Avs fans know he was the most important UFA this offseason (yes, more than Kadri), and we're happy that a deal got done. Is it risky, yes, but all long-term contracts are.

The bottom line is this deal had to get done. Based on his play the last three seasons, he's absolutely a core piece to the Avs. I know it's hard to ignore his time in Dallas, but if you just look at his pedigree (10th overall) and his development with the Avs, hes absolutely worth this type of money. The fans who watch him every night know that he's a top 3 defensive winger in the league. End of story.

ThunderRoad

Apr 24, 2006
Tampa
yeah it's also movable the last 3 , his actual becomes 4.8M per including bonus money and his hit stays at 6.125 so a decent pickup for a cap floor team .
Which will likely include teams that end up on his NTC list. Not as easy to move these contracts as you think when the teams he gives his permission for a trade care about the cap hit. Not sure what the cap does in next few years, but at least Colorado dodges the recent flat cap years.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
I’d take what Nichushkin brings to a team today over what Tavares brings to a team today at their price tags, pretty easily. Tavares isn’t what he used to be buddy, time to take the blinders off. I think maybe as a leafs fan who’s team just traded for the worst goalie in the league statistically, you should take a step back criticizing other teams and their moves 😂

Just for fun, Nichushkin had 25 goals in 62 games, Tavares had 27 in 79 games, only one of them played pp1 for their team long term. Tavares is overpaid, by a lot.
The Nichushkin contract was signed before the Murray trade. Is it possible that COL management and fans are coming off the "high" of winning a Cup, and are handing out silly money. Is it a criticism to acknowledge that this contract may not age well? Is it wrong to acknowledge the possibility that the last 4-5 years years on that deal will be a problem? I hope that's not the case, but I would have let someone else pay him, and maintain cap flexibility. As for Tavares we all knew that he would decline at the backend of his contract, but he has been better than expected in his first 4 years. For all the same reasons you say the Leafs shouldn't have signed Tavares, is the same reason COL shouldn't sign Nichushkin, but yes only you can see, everyone else has blinders on.

Last edited:

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
People still not realizing just how important Nuke is to the Avs. It's not all about the numbers! This dude is a monster! I have watched every single Avs game since '97, and Nuke is one of the best forechecking, disrupting, hardest working player we have ever had. He's got size, speed, and his hands have gotten better every single year. He went from being a UFA reclamation project to playing on our top line in 3 years. We don't win the cup without him.

This deal is a bargain because there is no one in UFA this year that even comes close to replacing what Nuke brings to our team.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
The Nichushkin contract was signed before the Murray trade. Is it possible that COL management and fans are coming off the "high" of winning a Cup, and are handing out silly money. Is it a criticism to acknowledge that this contract may not age well? Is it wrong to acknowledge the possibility that the last 4-5 years years on that deal will be a problem? I hope that's not the case, but I would have let someone else pay him, and maintain cap flexibility. As for Tavares we all knew that he would decline at the backend of his contract, but he has been better than expected in his first 4 years. For all the same reasons you say the Leafs shouldn't have signed Tavares, is the same reason COL shouldn't sign Nichushkin, but yes only you have can see, everyone else has blinders on.

Dude, Nichushkin cost 6.1m and Tavares cost 11. Which is going to strap the team more cap wise? 6.1mil is not a cap breaking deal at all. Outside fans that don’t watch him obviously have a different outlook on what he is as a player which is fine, he will show his worth I’m sure.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Dude, Nichushkin cost 6.1m and Tavares cost 11. Which is going to strap the team more cap wise? 6.1mil is not a cap breaking deal at all. Outside fans that don’t watch him obviously have a different outlook on what he is as a player which is fine, he will show his worth I’m sure.
Centre$$ > Winger$$. Talk to me when he puts up 47 goals an 88 points. Or even just one 80 point season. Heck I will even take a PPG season.

• Haha
Reactions: The Nightman

Steerpike

We are never give up
Feb 15, 2014
Colorado
Which will likely include teams that end up on his NTC list. Not as easy to move these contracts as you think when the teams he gives his permission for a trade care about the cap hit. Not sure what the cap does in next few years, but at least Colorado dodges the recent flat cap years.
Something everyone seems to be forgetting is not just are we coming out of flat cap years... but US inflation was 8.6% thos last year. In 2021 dollars $6.125 becomes $6.125/1.086 = $5.64.

It will take the cap a bit to adjust, but you would generally expect it to outpace inflation.

Like by a lot even.

Most of us have lived our whole lives at about 2% inflation year on year. It's hard to get used to a world where things get 9% more expensive each year, but thems the breaks.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Seems a bit long and a bit high, but if Avs fans are happy, who am I to say anything?
Pretty much my thoughts as well. Overpayment IMO, but good for Nichushkin cashing in BIG TIME, and avs fans don’t seem too upset.

Reactions: STLegend

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad