Claimed off Waivers: [COL] Avalanche claim F Dryden Hunt off waivers from the Rangers

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I'm lower on Hunt than the Rangers fans above. I think he's an active, try-hard pest with a very replaceable skillset all-around. And those mentioning Motte...I thought Hunt was a poor man's Motte - not as skilled; not as active on the forecheck or backcheck and not as pesty.

I don't see the Motte comparison.

Hunt has no head for the pro game, he barely lacks the talent.

Hes a good AHL player, but that's where it ends for him.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Hunt can serve a purpose on a deep team. He does dig and grind. Beyond that he has very little hockey sense and is of average speed. If we need a call up we have guys like Brodsinski who is better at Hunt in every aspect of the game but has hands of stone.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
So he's replaceable
He’s a a good 12/13th forward. I would’ve liked to keep him, but I’m not punching holes in my wall. I’m not saying the seasons over because we lost Hunt.

I don't see the Motte comparison.

Hunt has no head for the pro game, he barely lacks the talent.

Hes a good AHL player, but that's where it ends for him.
Yea, aside from both being 4th liners, the two are different players.

Last edited:

AvStock

Mar 15, 2022
Why are there so many angry nerds in here claiming they don’t care about Hunt now that he’s not on their team anymore?

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Who the hell was josh jooris. I cant for the life of me remember him.

Edit: this guy played 12 games for us? Wow. I literally blocked him from my memorry
IIRC his cousin is on these boards somewhere and he was talked about before or after having a decent game when he played for Calgary. It's been awhile; I could be misremembering.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Who the hell was josh jooris. I cant for the life of me remember him.
Edit: this guy played 12 games for us? Wow. I literally blocked him from my memory

IIRC his cousin is on these boards somewhere and he was talked about before or after having a decent game when he played for Calgary. It's been awhile; I could be misremembering.
played at Union College during first few of their NCAA Tourney years (2011 thru 2014 championship)
Calgary signed him, as UDFA in '13, so he missed the title run, but was key in Frozen 4 run in '12
Other guys from those Union teams who played NHL include goalies Kinkaid and Groesnick, and winger Daniel Carr
and the guy with the highest Cap Hit in history Jeremy Welsh, ~$18M

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
This sucks as a Rangers fan. Hunt is a very very solid 4th liner who got a bad reputation in New York because he was asked to play with Panarin and Strome a good chunk of last season. In the right role, he’s a great fit. A true grinder who can skate in tight spaces, win battles, and control possession.
Yes - Colorado will enjoy DH. Good player. Excellent defensively and actually has a history as a scorer pre-NHL. He always was in a defensive or at least mucker role with the Rangers; and he did that job very well. But he has a well-rounded game. Many Rangers fans would say he's better than Vesey, who the Rangers kept over Hunt.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Yes - Colorado will enjoy DH. Good player. Excellent defensively and actually has a history as a scorer pre-NHL. He always was in a defensive or at least mucker role with the Rangers; and he did that job very well. But he has a well-rounded game. Many Rangers fans would say he's better than Vesey, who the Rangers kept over Hunt.
Give me Hunt over Jimmy V

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
played at Union College during first few of their NCAA Tourney years (2011 thru 2014 championship)
Calgary signed him, as UDFA in '13, so he missed the title run, but was key in Frozen 4 run in '12
Other guys from those Union teams who played NHL include goalies Kinkaid and Groesnick, and winger Daniel Carr
and the guy with the highest Cap Hit in history Jeremy Welsh, ~$18M
Assuming that's a typo or is this some insane cap nonsense I've never heard of?

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Assuming that's a typo or is this some insane cap nonsense I've never heard of?

Typo. The breakdown is a few columns over. His salary was around $925,00.
"and the guy with the highest Cap Hit in history Jeremy Welsh, ~$18M"

Not a typo

Its Cap Hit, not salary

1666440613758.png

I provided the link up there, and here again, for anyone wanting to know more
- He signed a 1 year contract, after Frozen Four semis loss,
-It was final weekend of NHL regular season
- He played 1 NHL game that season

Cap Hit calculation rule is at Cap Friendly FAQ
Which is linked, from Welsh's page, just below the 2011-12 contract section

Last edited:
Reactions: Off Sides