Waived: Cody Goloubef on waivers

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
I'd love to add him to the blue line in Cleveland, but I doubt he makes it through. Young dman who still has potential to get better in my opinion.

I see him as a steady bottom pairing dman.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
Ottawa too. Right side is barren after Wideman, and I'd like to see Wideman gone. Goloubef would be a great fit in that spot.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Young dman who still has potential to get better in my opinion.

He turns 27 next month, not young anymore. Might have reached his peak as a 6/7 guy but good lord he's better than Prout - oh wait, we signed Prout to a 2 year extension so Golo gets the waive :laugh:

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
He turns 27 next month, not young anymore. Might have reached his peak as a 6/7 guy but good lord he's better than Prout - oh wait, we signed Prout to a 2 year extension so Golo gets the waive :laugh:

In what world is 26 not young for a Defenseman?:laugh:

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
If the team feels he's the 8th on the depth chart then that's that I suppose.

With Savard and Harrington, I can see the team holding out hope that there's more. Don't know what they see in Prout though.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
In what world is 26 not young for a Defenseman?:laugh:

I'd tend to agree with you, but I looked it up and Darkandstormy is right.

The median age of all NHL defensemen who've played an NHL game this season is 26 years and 7 months. Goloubef is 26 years and 10 months.

Last edited:

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
I'd tend to agree with you, but I looked it up and Darkandstormy is right.

The median age of all NHL defensemen who've played an NHL game this season is 26 years and 7 months. Goloubef is 26 years and 10 months.

And Prout is 26 and 7 months, and yet the front office still seems to be holding out hope that he'll suddenly stop being terrible.

Zarathustra

This is not my hat.
Nov 21, 2007
Salzburg
I don't understand this either. Prout is the antithesis of the kind of game-plan Torts is trying to implement. I would think Cody would fit into the line-up much better.

2minpenalty

Mar 29, 2011
I don't understand this either. Prout is the antithesis of the kind of game-plan Torts is trying to implement. I would think Cody would fit into the line-up much better.

I agree. Sometimes this front office confuses me. Every hockey pundit says skating is where the game is going yet this front office thinks slow and error prone is the recipe for success. Good luck Cody

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I don't know this for sure, but I think Torts just can't stand Golo. Last year there was that one awful play where Cody had a brain fart and let a forward drift by him. Golo was mostly benched from then on. Maybe that was it. It sucks - I agree with folks that he is a much better option than Prout.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
I don't know this for sure, but I think Torts just can't stand Golo. Last year there was that one awful play where Cody had a brain fart and let a forward drift by him. Golo was mostly benched from then on. Maybe that was it. It sucks - I agree with folks that he is a much better option than Prout.
Yeah, for whatever reason, I always thought he was in Tort's doghouse quite often. Not sure why though(either one incident keeps me thinking it was all season long or maybe he did make mistakes in a couple of game).

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
They picked Harrington over Golo? Lmao

“It’s tough to judge (his game),” coach John Tortorella said. “He’s been hurt for a while, hasn’t played a bunch of games. Last season when he came back from (a broken jaw), I mean, I wasn’t thrilled with his play.

“He’s got to go play. I’m not sure what’s (going to happen) with waivers, but we’re hoping, if he goes through, he goes down and gets some minutes under his belt. He just hasn’t played enough.”

Seems reasonable.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

Yet throughout his tenure the coach has always favored Prout. So go figure. You can't convince me this move wasn't made with his approval.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I disagree with it, but I get it...Prout has a longer, more expensive contract. They also don't want to admit they threw away Rychel for a conditional late-round pick as Rob notes above. Still, I trust Goloubef out there way more than Prout and probably Nutivaara.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
If they wanted to get him playing time in Cleveland, couldn't they have sent him on a conditioning assignment, especially seeing as he is on the IR?

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
If they wanted to get him playing time in Cleveland, couldn't they have sent him on a conditioning assignment, especially seeing as he is on the IR?

First possible reason: Cody would have to consent to a conditioning assignment. Maybe he sees that he's fallen down the depth chart here and is hoping someone else will pick him up.

Second possible reason: the conditioning assignment has to be brief - I think max 2 weeks. Maybe the club thinks there is a greater chance they'll lose him or Harrington in 2 weeks (as injuries around the league start to accumulate) compared to now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad