Player Discussion Cody Ceci | Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Part of me wonders if he really isn't on the block but merely a ploy to light a fire under his butt. Garrioch and Dorion speak daily. You know the GM gives big Bruce specific nuggets for a reason

This is absolutely what's going on. Why else would Ceci go from the top minutes guy to being a potential healthy scratch? The message won't work though because Boucher will end up dressing him and scratching Claesson instead.

Also, other than "sucking wind", has anyone seen Ceci have any emotion on the ice after a goal scored or goal against?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
This is absolutely what's going on. Why else would Ceci go from the top minutes guy to being a potential healthy scratch? The message won't work though because Boucher will end up dressing him and scratching Claesson instead.

Also, other than "sucking wind", has anyone seen Ceci have any emotion on the ice after a goal scored or goal against?
I won't hold his emotional state against him. Some people are just more reserved than others

50 in 07

Feb 10, 2016
Right until the price dropped. They got sergachev and a 2nd
The price didn't drop. Tampa's needs changed. They needed an expansion draft slot, and cap relief, so that's why Sergachev was acceptable because he was exempt and cheap.

Ceci would literally never have been an option because he doesn't fulfill either of those criteria. All the rumors about Ceci+ for Drouin were from 2 seasons ago when he was doing his holdout thing and refused to play in the AHL.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Well here's the thing....

Is Ceci better than Karlsson... No
Is Ceci better than Chabot... Debatable but definitely not offensively.
Does Ceci play the left side... No

Aaaand is Ceci a top 4 defensemen? I mean he does play in the top 4... But is he really top 4 quality on a good defense? Again I think that's debatable.

Agree
Its debatable that he is better then Chabot defensively after 300+ games when Chabot plays his 9th tonight...
That says a lot...

Offensively they dont compare thats a fact

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It's interesting that we've tried to force Chabot onto the right side, but never explored the option of Ceci on the left side. Obviously part of that is we have a glut of LD, and relatively few RD, but much like Chabot's skill set better suits the right side in our system, one could argue Ceci's better suits the left side. He has the size and mobility to be effective in the step up.

Just a thought really, but I can't imagine he's any worse than Oduya as Karlsson's partner...

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
It's interesting that we've tried to force Chabot onto the right side, but never explored the option of Ceci on the left side. Obviously part of that is we have a glut of LD, and relatively few RD, but much like Chabot's skill set better suits the right side in our system, one could argue Ceci's better suits the left side. He has the size and mobility to be effective in the step up.

Just a thought really, but I can't imagine he's any worse than Oduya as Karlsson's partner...

In an alternate universe where Ceci was born lefty, I could actually see him being decent as the left-side D in our system tbh. He has that explosiveness to be a nightmare when he steps up on guys in the neutral zone.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Anytime Karlsson plays with a RHD (Wideman) he seems to be the guy playing the left. It wouldn't hurt to try playing Ceci with Karl.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I like the Ceci to the left idea. His biggest struggle is retrieving the puck especially so under pressure.

Cant hurt to try i guess.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

That's a great point and honestly I've always thought to myself that Chabot and Ceci could make a great pairing if Boucher wasn't so stuck on his strategy of RD moves the puck..

Chabot-Ceci could be a very good 2nd pairing given that Chabot has the ability to move the puck and be the main guy offensively while Ceci would be the guy staying back ... And he does has very good skating so that could benefit us also.

Instead we're stuck playing Chabot on the right...

Claesson/Harpur-Karlsson
Chabot-Ceci
Claesson/Harpur-Phaneuf

Is what I'd like to roll if it wasn't for Boucher..

Reactions: Newgates59

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

Boucher is becoming way too predictable. Once again, Cody Ceci noticeably terrible last night, once again, led the team in icetime other than Karlsson.

Maybe Boucher is trying to get canned?

King Karlsson

Gersei Chongar
Sep 30, 2011
Funny how it went from "Ceci might be scratched!" to Ceci playing 21 minutes and looking like dogshit as per usual

f***ing trade him already while he still has value. One of the most infuriating players I've ever had the displeasure of watching play for this team

Reactions: Chezzz

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Not to dwell on it, but why did Ceci only play half a year in the minors? Wouldn’t some more time down there done him some good? Plus they brought him into an awful situation. That team was a mess. That’s no place for a young player. Bad decision imo.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Not to dwell on it, but why did Ceci only play half a year in the minors? Wouldn’t some more time down there done him some good? Plus they brought him into an awful situation. That team was a mess. That’s no place for a young player. Bad decision imo.
Well we were in serious desperate need of a d man.

To his credit he came in and played pretty well.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Murray didn't fill any holes on the defense that year. Lost Gonchar and didn't replace him.

We went into the year with a Methot-Karlsson top pair, and on the 2nd/3rd pairs we had a combination of:

Phillips
Wiercioch
Cowen
Corvo
Gryba

Ceci became a top 4 D that year by default. Kid was rushed to the NHL because of how terrible our defense was.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Murray didn't fill any holes on the defense that year. Lost Gonchar and didn't replace him.

We went into the year with a Methot-Karlsson top pair, and on the 2nd/3rd pairs we had a combination of:

Phillips
Wiercioch
Cowen
Corvo
Gryba

Ceci became a top 4 D that year by default. Kid was rushed to the NHL because of how terrible our defense was.

Yup, no need to rush a young player because our team sucked. Not a good long term game plan.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Well we were in serious desperate need of a d man.

To his credit he came in and played pretty well.

We didn’t make the playoffs anyway. Why not pick a guy up off waivers or trade for a guy on an expiring deal to fill the gap? Rushing a young defenceman into the league on an awful team is a good idea?

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
Although he still made mistakes, I thought this was one of Ceci's best games of the year. That's not saying much but at least IMO he improved and didn't get worse.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
We didn’t make the playoffs anyway. Why not pick a guy up off waivers or trade for a guy on an expiring deal to fill the gap? Rushing a young defenceman into the league on an awful team is a good idea?
Because it wasn't rushing. He came in. And played well. He didn't come in a look way out of his depth or anything. I loved his game. I was pretty vocal about that for like 2 years.

And well, look at me now lmao.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad