Confirmed with Link: Cody Ceci extended for two years, AAV $2.8 million ($2.25M, $3.35M)

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
Nice deal. Lets just hope he doesn't do something stupid like Hoffman and outperform his bridge deal, thus earning even more money.

I think we can all agree that long term fiscal responsibility is more expensive than success

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
Good deal, have a feeling we're going to see a lot more offense (whether it shows up on the score sheet or not) from him this coming season.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
The "Bridge Contract" is still alive!

Seeing some of the other post-ELC contracts going around the league over the past 12-14 months or so, I thought Dorion was going to be forced into giving Ceci a deal based on future projections instead of past performance, and pay out the nose for anticipated future production. Glad to see I was wrong!

Dorion's been knocking it out of the park on the internal stuff so far in his limited stint as GM. Hoffman's contract was surprisingly low (especially having him commit to that $3.8mil number for his last RFA year, based on what a lot of people expected, and based on the market value for players with his kind of numbers over 2+ seasons), and he managed to talk Ceci into taking a bridge deal with a high QO number rather than a 4 year deal that would have taken him to his last RFA year and in his prime (basically the same situation Hoffman was in this year).

I won't dock Dorion any marks for not grabbing any big UFA names this summer, because that was never going to be in the cards for us due to the budget. Dorion can't control the budget.

So after Ceci's deal, we currently sit, what... $6mil shy of the cap, with essentially a completely full roster?

I imagine we might still sign that depth defenceman Dorion has been talking about, but even if we sign a guy for like $1.5-2mil, we'd still have ~$5mil open under the cap (because then we wouldn't count Kostka's $800k NHL salary, who is our current 7th D).

Not horrible. Not great, I'd love to see that spare $5-6 mil we have open used towards the on-ice product (short-term depth additions, etc...), but at least we're around 20th in league spending, instead of bottom 3-5, where we used to be. Baby steps.

Yeah, he's done a good job with the contract resignings. The real test for me is to see how his coaching hire performs. I'm cautiously optimistic on that, but I've had my heart broken by too many coaches to get overly excited.

Yeah what a long term, it could really bite us in the ass for years to come! :sarcasm:

I think he meant the opposite. If Ceci develops into a top d-man, his next contract could be much more expensive than if we had signed him long term now. There's a risk with either contract, though, I think this move is fine.

spader

Oct 13, 2013
Saskatchewan
I think he meant the opposite. If Ceci develops into a top d-man, his next contract could be much more expensive than if we had signed him long term now. There's a risk with either contract, though, I think this move is fine.

Agreed. I imagine that's what he meant. I'd certainly prefer the risk of him being too awesome (and therefore more expensive) than being too expensive. That is, they're both risky (long term and bridge deals), but I'd rather have the risk represented by a bridge deal (the player earning top dollar with stellar play) versus the risk represented by a long-term deal (the player never lives up to the contract).

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
Agreed. I imagine that's what he meant. I'd certainly prefer the risk of him being too awesome (and therefore more expensive) than being too expensive. That is, they're both risky (long term and bridge deals), but I'd rather have the risk represented by a bridge deal (the player earning top dollar with stellar play) versus the risk represented by a long-term deal (the player never lives up to the contract).

Right. This way if we end up having to pay big money, at least it means he's earned it - nothing wrong with paying big money for a great player if that's what he becomes.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Nice deal. Lets just hope he doesn't do something stupid like Hoffman and outperform his bridge deal, thus earning even more money.

I think we can all agree that long term fiscal responsibility is more expensive than success

This is hilarious.

Solid post!

Last edited:

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
I like this deal. He's been pretty inconsistent, but has shown potential, especially when paired with Phaneuf. He's also very young and was playing at a young age. By the end of this deal he'll be 24 and we should have a better idea of what Ceci is, and if he's worth a long extension as a top four defenseman.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
Good deal. Lets Ceci prove that he is what we think he can be with a competent partner. His offensive upside will be limited having Karlsson in front of him, so I'm not worried about him commanding a ridiculous contract in 2 years. And if he's played so well that he does, well we could certainly have worse problems than that.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I hope he does the opposite and excels the next two years.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Yeah, I don't mind paying guys a fair wage when they've earned it.

Not every contract in the league is going to be sub-$3mil for all-star performance. If he earns it, he earns it.

Strongly agree. I like the idea of paying for performance and having the pay directly related and variable based on performance. This is where the bonuses come in and they can address the fluctuations that may occur from year to year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad