Confirmed with Link: Cody Ceci extended for two years, AAV $2.8 million ($2.25M, $3.35M)

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
This seems low doesn't it?

I mean, compared to comparables around the league?

It is favourable to Ottawa, but it is comparable to what Dumba got a few weeks ago (2.55x2 years).

To toot my own horn, I called this a few weeks ago almost to the dot in the Ceci thread based off of the Dumba signing.

Today's contracts work pretty well as comparable contracts for Ottawa.

2 years, 2.75M per (2 in year one/3.5 in year two). Gives Ottawa Ceci as cheap as possible this year, but on the flip side he gets a guarantee that his next deal will have to be at least 3.5M per due to the qualifying offer being based on the final year of the deal.

Ceci didn't really have a lot of leverage here, and if Melnyk was accurate when he claimed Ottawa had a 68M budget, this contract works almost exactly within that budget for the next two seasons.

Outside of the possibility that they might not be entirely sold on Ceci, I think a big reason Ottawa went with two years is because cap flexibility is extremely important. In the 2018 off season, unless they decide to spend to the cap, Ottawa is going to probably have to make some choices about who to keep and who to sell off. Even if they do become a cap team, they might have to do that with all the players they have coming up. Stone and Turris both will command new contracts in 2018 and are both at least 6M-7M players during their UFA years, Brassard and Karlsson will command raises in 2019, and so on.

If Ottawa could have gotten Ceci locked up at 4M per for 6+ years, maybe not doing that will prove to be a big mistake. But, we just saw Tyson Barrie, one of the most productive RDs in the league sign for only 5.5Mx4 years on his third contract with Colorado. The cap has also stagnated quite a bit and seems to be very uncertain. Looking at it this way, there's a good chance after a bit of a struggle, Ottawa can get Ceci signed to something close on a 3-4 year deal to what they would have risked paying on a 5-6 year deal right now. So they could end up controlling Ceci for the same amount of time with an equally as advantageous salary, more flexibility cap wise, and less overall risk.

Last edited:

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
so we have less than $6mil in cap space...can people stop complaining about that now?

We're apparently a 68M team according to Eugene Melnyk in one of his raving interviews.

That is a big disadvantage. You're not just talking about the salary cap. Look at all the teams who benefited from amnesty buyouts. Not only that, there is such a thing as injury reserve. Look at how Toronto got out of the worst signing in the history of the NHL cap era because they have deeper pockets than a budget team Columbus. That wasn't a cap related move, it was purely related to real money, and Toronto benefited huge because they aren't a budget team and Columbus is.

To pretend everybody are babies for recognizing what a disadvantage it brings to the team is foolish.

With that said, it isn't something that is worth harping on at this point beyond recognizing it because it isn't going to change, and it is something you have to live with if you want to cheer for a smaller market team.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Is Ceci still a restricted free agent in 2018-2019?

Yes. Assuming I haven't miscalculated he should have two more years of RFA control left but will also have arbitration rights.

Granted this was when Bryan Murray was the GM, but look how badly Ottawa hard balled Methot when his contract was up. As a result, he is on an extremely team friendly deal in both value and term. All because they knew he wanted to stay in Ottawa and they used it to their advantage. Obviously it is possible Ceci isn't bothered by the idea of going and playing else where, but him being from Ottawa and living here almost his entire life to this point is something to consider. It is fair to speculate that the Senators could use that to their advantage in two years when it comes time to negotiate a long term deal.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
We're apparently a 68M team according to Eugene Melnyk in one of his raving interviews.

That is a big disadvantage. You're not just talking about the salary cap. Look at all the teams who benefited from amnesty buyouts. Not only that, there is such a thing as injury reserve. Look at how Toronto got out of the worst signing in the history of the NHL cap era because they have deeper pockets than a budget team Columbus. That wasn't a cap related move, it was purely related to real money, and Toronto benefited huge because they aren't a budget team and Columbus is.

To pretend everybody are babies for recognizing what a disadvantage it brings to the team is foolish.

With that said, it isn't something that is worth harping on at this point beyond recognizing it because it isn't going to change, and it is something you have to live with if you want to cheer for a smaller market team.

Well, we're at a significant financial disadvantage to some teams, but we're far from the only team that operates on a budget. The problem isn't people recognizing the disadvantage, it's the non-stop complaining about how cheap the owner is and how he funnels money away from the team ect. ect. I rarely see other teams fanbases criticise teams owners for being too cheap to do something, but with Ottawa it seems like a Pavlovian response.

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
Yes. Assuming I haven't miscalculated he should have two more years of RFA control left but will also have arbitration rights.

Granted this was when Bryan Murray was the GM, but look how badly Ottawa hard balled Methot when his contract was up. As a result, he is on an extremely team friendly deal in both value and term. All because they knew he wanted to stay in Ottawa and they used it to their advantage. Obviously it is possible Ceci isn't bothered by the idea of going and playing else where, but him being from Ottawa and living here almost his entire life to this point is something to consider. It is fair to speculate that the Senators could use that to their advantage in two years when it comes time to negotiate a long term deal.

What do you mean by that? He got $4.9M which is more than fair for what he brings to the table.

I get the sens that if senators don't overpay by a $1M or so, fans get upset about 'low balling' a player. Getting paid what you're worth shouldn't be a knock on sens management.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
If we added a stable vet on the 3rd pair, I'd go as far to say that this would be the best D we have had since we went to the finals.

Imagine having a Kuba type guy to plug into that 3rd role.

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
If we added a stable vet on the 3rd pair, I'd go as far to say that this would be the best D we have had since we went to the finals.
This dcore is already better than any group since we went to the finals.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
We are #19 in the league in spending...

Teams are all bunched so closely together on spending, though, that the rankings don't make much difference. As was pointed out earlier, if we spend just $3 million more we go up to #9. I'm very comfortable with where we are, having the flexibility to go get an expensive rental in the second half of the season if need be. Where you don't want to be is right up against the cap where you have zero flexibility...

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Called it in the Ceci thread! What do I win?

I'm happy with this deal. Bridge deal was the way to go in my opinion. Let's see what Ceci can do with a real d partner for a full season.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Squeeze me? Baking powder?

FmURCN3.gif

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Love Ceci ,this is a good deal for him and the team .I have faith he will become the teams 2nd best defender before too long ,and will be a fixture on our blueline for years to come :handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad