Waived: Coburn on waivers

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I don't mind Coburn.. its odd the guy Dorion traded a 4th round pick for (see Zayde Wisdom from last year) and signed for 2 years is a continuous scratch.

lets hear about the expansion draft lol

I mind them both to be honest.

Also a good time to remind everyone who tore into me when I said Josh Brown wasn't very good, that Josh Brown isn't very good.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
ok who tore into you?

I didn't take names but there were a few of the " I guess you only like offensive D-men" types and the like. Surely I wasn't the only who was told that he was "more than just waiver wire fodder".

Anyway. There was really no reason to actively pursue Josh Brown. Players better than him get grabbed on PTOs and waivers all the time. It was a puzzling move then and it isn't any less puzzling now.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I didn't take names but there were a few of the " I guess you only like offensive D-men" types and the like. Surely I wasn't the only who was told that he was "more than just waiver wire fodder".

Anyway. There was really no reason to actively pursue Josh Brown. Players better than him get grabbed on PTOs and waivers all the time. It was a puzzling move then and it isn't any less puzzling now.

If only the Defenders Dorion brought in were have as good as the Dorion Defenders on here

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

wE nEeD hIm FoR dE eXpAnShUn DrAfT

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
wE nEeD hIm FoR dE eXpAnShUn DrAfT

Honestly he will come in handy for the expansion draft but we could have done the same thing with somebody off waivers who could play for us this year a little. Maybe Brown turns it around but I think we're lucky if he turns into Eric Gryba 2.0. VERY LUCKY.

Whatever I guess, I mean he's fine as the 7-8 D. The problem is that when a player like Brann is taken out (right or wrong) a vet like Brown or Coburn has to come in. If we're going to play the kids need to earn it card, then make it a semi-real challenge. This all just seems like contrived BS to me.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Honestly he will come in handy for the expansion draft but we could have done the same thing with somebody off waivers who could play for us this year a little. Maybe Brown turns it around but I think we're lucky if he turns into Eric Gryba 2.0. VERY LUCKY.

Whatever I guess, I mean he's fine as the 7-8 D. The problem is that when a player like Brann is taken out (right or wrong) a vet like Brown or Coburn has to come in. If we're going to play the kids need to earn it card, then make it a semi-real challenge. This all just seems like contrived BS to me.
Brown appears to be here for the expansion draft and that's it. Like an NBA player thrown in to a deal for making it work under their strict salary cap rules.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
We got a 2nd to pick him up, and he’s looked decent in spot duty when EB needs a day off. Looks like a nice little win.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Brown appears to be here for the expansion draft and that's it. Like an NBA player thrown in to a deal for making it work under their strict salary cap rules.
I don’t think team give up 4th round picks. <100 overal picks for stuff like that.

I think they got him and didn’t know what they were getting.

Reactions: Upgrayedd

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I don’t think team give up 4th round picks. <100 overal picks for stuff like that.

That I agree with, another dud identified by Dorion. Just more that after seeing him play, his role is clearly nothing but expansion fodder and is an on paper piece only at this point.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
That I agree with, another dud identified by Dorion. Just more that after seeing him play, his role is clearly nothing but expansion fodder and is an on paper piece only at this point.
I don’t think we can blame this on Dorion. Scouts. Smith probably recommended him. And then how Florida extracted a decent pick out of Dorion who the f*** knows.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

At the time i think we were hearing a lot about needing to get tougher and protect the kids.

We thought Brown could play and would be our expansion draft exposed D. In hindsight (and for those who watched him in florida likely foresight too) he is only going to be useful in one of the two factors.

We could have signed or extended any number of guys to meet draft requirements, we thought he was a player too.

Anyways, Coburn is getting is getting another shot, this time apparently in the top 4... I'd rather we bumped Brannstrom up, and put Wolanin in but Coburn did well enough last game that he might deserve another kick at the can.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I don’t think we can blame this on Dorion. Scouts. Smith probably recommended him. And then how Florida extracted a decent pick out of Dorion who the f*** knows.
Well they operate under Dorion's direction and presumably chosen by him. After the pro scouting we've seen during Dorion's tenure, they should have been replaced by now and Dorion should be putting his foot down from his own assessments/info if the Coach wants players that require assets to acquire that don't justify the assets paid, like Brown.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
At the time i think we were hearing a lot about needing to get tougher and protect the kids.

We thought Brown could play and would be our expansion draft exposed D. In hindsight (and for those who watched him in florida likely foresight too) he is only going to be useful in one of the two factors.

We could have signed or extended any number of guys to meet draft requirements, we thought he was a player too.

Anyways, Coburn is getting is getting another shot, this time apparently in the top 4... I'd rather we bumped Brannstrom up, and put Wolanin in but Coburn did well enough last game that he might deserve another kick at the can.

Not really.

You can’t just extend a guy to expose him at the expansion draft without dealing with some considerations.

You run the risk of having to keep a guy that you don’t really want, and you also would have to be deceptive to the player and agent as to the reason that you are signing them, otherwise the player would undoubtably prefer a trade, or simply hit the market on their own.

I mean, sure we could have tried to go that route, but what’s the point when Brown fills that roll nicely already.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Not really.

You can’t just extend a guy to expose him at the expansion draft without dealing with some considerations.

You run the risk of having to keep a guy that you don’t really want, and you also would have to be deceptive to the player and agent as to the reason that you are signing them, otherwise the player would undoubtably prefer a trade, or simply hit the market on their own.

I mean, sure we could have tried to go that route, but what’s the point when Brown fills that roll nicely already.

We extended Brown just to meet the expansion draft.

You and i have a very different perspective of filling the role nicely. Brown has been hot trash, we'll expose him but we are guaranteed to be stuck with him costing 1.2 to be a healthy scratch next year, seattle is not goint to pick him. Why not get/extend someone who can take a regular shift? It's not like next year we suddenly won't need to have 3 RD under contract, JBD likely isn't going to come in and play all 82 next year.

Reactions: Fuhrious

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He’s in for Reilly
Its funny because that was Reilly's best game of the season in my opinion. No agregious errors, played a tidy quiet game. I am guessing its because of his injury?

I wonder who Zub is going to play with tonight. Hopefully not Coburn.

Reactions: Emrasie

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Its funny because that was Reilly's best game of the season in my opinion. No agregious errors, played a tidy quiet game. I am guessing its because of his injury?

Zub is playin with Chabot tonight by the looks of the lines

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Brucie said he's injured

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad