Coach Discussion: Coaching Thread 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Murat with a good article about Scheifeme and Maurice today. Seems to think that Marucie hasn't done a good enough job holding Mark accountable for his poor defense and that if he can't get Scheifele going a new coach should come in.
ScheifeME? Not sure if that’s intentional, but golly gosh is it appropriate. :laugh:

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Murat with a good article about Scheifeme and Maurice today. Seems to think that Marucie hasn't done a good enough job holding Mark accountable for his poor defense and that if he can't get Scheifele going a new coach should come in.

Yep. Interesting and surprisingly even-handed take on 55, his usage under PoMo and what happens next from Murat in The Athletic. Some excerpts below:

It's time to ask about Mark Scheifele's ceiling as the Jets' franchise player

If Winnipeg were as gutted down the middle as it was without Dubois or Paul Stastny in the fold — or before Copp emerged as an option along with defensive stalwart Adam Lowry — Scheifele’s ice time would make more sense.

If he was “straight legged” on Tuesday against Buffalo, then perhaps Maurice would be better served to play him fewer than 25 minutes on a night Dubois played just 19.
A 42-second shift on a late-game PK contributes to that discrepancy without nearly covering the difference.

This season, Scheifele has averaged two more minutes per night at five-on-five than Dubois has. (Despite this disadvantage, Dubois has four more five-on-five points than Scheifele does.) Maurice continues to play him despite poor results; I don’t like citing raw plus-minus because it includes empty net and shorthanded goals along with five-on-five but Scheifele’s minus-four is worst on the Jets.

Do you remember Maurice saying he has a higher opinion of Scheifele than Scheifele does?

“I think he has (the potential) to be a one-team player that wins Cups and is the captain of it at some point and gets a bronze statue in front of the building kind of guy,” Maurice said in 2018.

I find myself wondering — after Scheifele was high in the zone against Buffalo, swung his stick against Vancouver, shorted a backcheck against Seattle and abandoned the net front for a scoring chance against Arizona and goal against Minnesota (the list goes on) — if Maurice himself hasn’t doomed Scheifele to fall short of those goals through his words.

Last edited:

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Also notable that Mo had this to say about 55's early struggles. Is he fully recovered now?

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
As I said in reply to that tweet, did Scheifele get this charley horse in the Vegas playoff series in 2018? Cause that's the last time I recall him giving a rat's ass about defense...

Good question -- and my medical opinion is yes. Certainly.

Charley horses for high-scoring centres typically present as pain, swelling and extravasated blood, and we'd expect such injuries to typically impact exclusively those areas of the hockeying regions that are responsible for even average defence. You're going to see dramatic losses in responsible positioning, backchecking, taking your man in front of an open net, reasonable shift lengths and not dreamily waving your stick at an attacker as he sails right on by.

Standard treatment options include unlimited ice-time, extravagant praise from coaches and both localized and generalized immunity from criticism or accountability, presumptive Olympic team selection and -- only in severe cases -- bronze statues mounted outside downtown arenas.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Also notable that Mo had this to say about 55's early struggles. Is he fully recovered now?

The followup question to that needs to be questioning Maurice on his ice time then- Scheifele has played under 19 mins in just 1 game all season- the blowout against Minny which was over in the first 10 mins of the 2nd period.

If he's playing injured, then why is he playing 19 mins+ every night? Can't have it both ways, either the player is playing poorly or he has an injury preventing him from playing well in which case it's a bad look on you playing an injured player 19+ mins each night.

It's one or the other, can't have it both ways.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
The followup question to that needs to be questioning Maurice on his ice time then- Scheifele has played under 19 mins in just 1 game all season- the blowout against Minny which was over in the first 10 mins of the 2nd period.

If he's playing injured, then why is he playing 19 mins+ every night? Can't have it both ways, either the player is playing poorly or he has an injury preventing him from playing well in which case it's a bad look on you playing an injured player 19+ mins each night.

It's one or the other, can't have it both ways.

Meh. If you're gonna bravely play through and injury, you're gonna do it for 19+ minutes a night. Otherwise what are you teaching your teammates about the value of personal sacrifice? There's a "me" in tEaM for a reason, folks.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I get what Mo is trying to do... he is trying to get the heat of off 55 and instead put the heat on himself. He probably read that Murat article this morning and is sensing that with Wheeler no longer there to take all the arrows, some arrows are gonna hit 55 who has escaped a lot of criticism due to all the energy of the critics being directed at 26. But they still need to ask followup questions.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Ah so the injury excuse being used now. That doesn't prevent a player from actually working hard on the ice both ways.

Also Moe you look even more stupid playing an injured player 25 minutes a night.

This guy juat can't stop making dumb excuses and no one is buying them any longer.

Lmao on trying to justify playing Ehlers only 17 minutes a night due to trying to optimize his play and then go ahead and play a gassed 36 year old 20 plus minutes a night...

None

Feb 22, 2012
Lmao on trying to justify playing Ehlers only 17 minutes a night due to trying to optimize his play and then go ahead and play a gassed 36 year old 20 plus minutes a night...

Yeah, that part was from a previous season when I think Maurice was asked why Ehlers was never elevated up the lineup despite leading the team in scoring.

His words are painting a different picture than his actions. It isn't the first time.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
maurice will always fall on the sword for his leaders and rarely calls guys out (remember how much he backed bealieu through the media when he was drowning on the top pair). i can see why they enjoy playing for him.

I get what Mo is trying to do... he is trying to get the heat of off 55 and instead put the heat on himself. He probably read that Murat article this morning and is sensing that with Wheeler no longer there to take all the arrows, some arrows are gonna hit 55 who has escaped a lot of criticism due to all the energy of the critics being directed at 26. But they still need to ask followup questions.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Maurice’s answer to everything.
2 parts
A) Run CSW 20-24 mins.
B) Pray Hellebucyk has a huge night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events