Coaching carousel (Weekes)

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
If Sully leaves watch for Keefe, Kyle Dubas LOVES him some Sheldon Keefe in his life, and if Keefe loses to Boston you got to think he's getting fired.

His assistants were fired last year he's got to be next
Yea, Keefe is 100% going to Pittsburgh.

There's some hype around Berube to Toronto, but I think he ends up in Philly with Torts heading upstairs.

Leafs will end up with Sullivan or Gallant

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I’m not convinced Weekes is as plugged in as he wants followers to believe. This tweet, like many of his, doesn’t really say anything.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I’m not convinced Weekes is as plugged in as he wants followers to believe. This tweet, like many of his, doesn’t really say anything.
I mean he is a legit reporter, he works for ESPN and NHL Network and has broken stuff plenty of times. It's not like he is some newspaper hack or someone who is new trying to make a name, dudes been in it for a while now.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Yea, Keefe is 100% going to Pittsburgh.

There's some hype around Berube to Toronto, but I think he ends up in Philly with Torts heading upstairs.

Leafs will end up with Sullivan or Gallant

I've said a few times Sullivan is my top choice because he's a 2 time champion, Berube is also a champion and that's what I want the Leafs to have in their next head coach, championship experience.

Although It's impossible not to replace Keefe with a better coach and I do think Gallant is a good coach but he never seems to last long and that's a red flag for me.

If I was to hire somebody without a championship as a coach I'd see what Carolina does with Brind'Amour I think he's a fantastic and he still brings that championship experience from his playing days.

Reactions: JKG33

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Woodcroft definitely going to SJ.
lt would be a shame for Woody to tarnish his solid career and become a tank commander in SJ. Even if he has some history there.

For his sake, I'm kind of hoping one of Ottawa or Toronto realise he's the guy to help them take the next step.

Patrick Roy need a new assistant coach lol?
Why would he hire an assistant coach he can't hear?

Last edited:

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I've said a few times Sullivan is my top choice because he's a 2 time champion, Berube is also a champion and that's what I want the Leafs to have in their next head coach, championship experience.

Although It's impossible not to replace Keefe with a better coach and I do think Gallant is a good coach but he never seems to last long and that's a red flag for me.

If I was to hire somebody without a championship as a coach I'd see what Carolina does with Brind'Amour I think he's a fantastic and he still brings that championship experience from his playing days.
FYI Scotty Bowman is the only coach to win a cup with 2 different organizations (since World War 2).

Sullivan was coaching a team that already won a cup before.
WITH a Peak Crosby and Malkin.

You can't honestly believe that will transfer to the Leafs.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
FYI Scotty Bowman is the only coach (since World War 2) to win a cup with 2 different organizations.

Sullivan was coaching a team that already won a cup before.
WITH a Peak Crosby and Malkin.

You can't honestly believe that will transfer to the Leafs.

He's WORLDS better than Keefe

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
He's WORLDS better than Keefe
100% agree.

Coming from a Leaf-hater, Leaf fans might not realise it, but the reason Marner and Matthews struggle in the playoffs is bad coaching.

Keefe coaches the team the same way in the playoffs as he does in the regular season. He doesn't do anything to get Matthews or Marner away from matchup nightmares, or defensive straight-jackets. Even at home where he has last change. Same shit Babcock did. "I don't play to their game, We make them play to our game" kinda bullshit. Yeah, it's funny being on the other side to laugh about it, but my god These coaches are f***ing dense as f***, they never seem to adapt.

He basically overtook Babcock as the guy who was supposed to guide you in the playoffs. But at least he wasn't so stupid to bench Matthews for a 67 year old Marleau in an elimination game.
You need a more adaptable coach that can change up systems, match lines, and figure out strategies and wrinkles to get Matthews and Marner more time and space, while implementing systems that exploit and stifle the other teams top players.

Sullivan is not the coach to do that.
Sullivan had Crosby on Line 1. Malkin on line 2, and Kessel (HBK) on line 3.

Basically had 3x first lines, that he just rolled, and even when teams could stifle Crosby and Malkin, Kessel absolutely destroyed them. Lead the team in playoff scoring (should have won the Conn Smyth).

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If you’re relying on what Mike Sullivan did in 2016 as a judge for what kind of coach he is today, I have some really bad news for you :laugh:

The comments above about Keefe are basically the same things Penguins fans say about Sullivan. He never makes any systematic changes, even when he’s being countered, while just saying “we need to get to our game” or some other cliche like that.

Let’s just put it this way: Dubas added Karlsson to the Penguins top PP last off-season and their powerplay had Crosby, Malkin, Guentzel, Karlsson and Letang on it. Guess how it finished? 3rd last in the NHL, while Sullivan made literally zero attempts of changes beyond swapping out Letang for Rust or Rakell. The Penguins missed the playoffs this year due to their powerplay and Sullivan tried literally nothing to fix it.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
100% agree.

Coming from a Leaf-hater, Leaf fans might not realise it, but the reason Marner and Matthews struggle in the playoffs is bad coaching.

Keefe coaches the team the same way in the playoffs as he does in the regular season. He doesn't do anything to get Matthews or Marner away from matchup nightmares, or defensive straight-jackets. Even at home where he has last change. Same shit Babcock did. "I don't play to their game, We make them play to our game" kinda bullshit. Yeah, it's funny being on the other side to laugh about it, but my god These coaches are f***ing dense as f***, they never seem to adapt.

He basically overtook Babcock as the guy who was supposed to guide you in the playoffs. But at least he wasn't so stupid to bench Matthews for a 67 year old Marleau in an elimination game.
You need a more adaptable coach that can change up systems, match lines, and figure out strategies and wrinkles to get Matthews and Marner more time and space, while implementing systems that exploit and stifle the other teams top players.

Sullivan is not the coach to do that.
Sullivan had Crosby on Line 1. Malkin on line 2, and Kessel (HBK) on line 3.

Basically had 3x first lines, that he just rolled, and even when teams could stifle Crosby and Malkin, Kessel absolutely destroyed them. Lead the team in playoff scoring (should have won the Conn Smyth).
Sullivan coached well in 16/17. I will give him that. HBK was born out of an injury to Malkin though and they caught lightning in a bottle that forced the coaches hands to keep it intact. That said, Sullivan and coaches were willing to do a lot of line swapping in 2016 and 2017 with the young players they had. That is not something Sullivan has been willing to do since 2018. Once he got the 2B2 cups, he felt his "active coaching" days were over.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Eh, this sounds like something based off of 2016 and not the past 5 or 6 seasons.

If you think Sullivan's going to be this massive upgrade, good luck with that. The guy who coached the back to back Cups hasn't made an appearance since around 2018.

I don't think you realize how bad Sheldon Keefe is at his job, but I got a feeling you are about to find out

Reactions: Zbynek

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
Let’s not forget that Utah will be needing a coach as well. The owner gives the impression that he’s prepared to spend, so the high end coaches would not be out of the question.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad