Coach John Hynes Discussion

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Are you his agent or PR man?

Or is this the case of "One man's garbage is another man's treasure"?

saying he’s a good coach must mean i’m his agent or “PR man” (behind every great coach is a great PR man, as the saying goes). as usual, way to support your contrarian view with any sort of thoughtful analysis

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

People can say what they want, but Hynes has done all of the right things with our best player this year. And in turn, he receives the respect that he deserves.

If anyone wants a sign as to Hynes' future, I think the above makes everything abundantly clear.

No question that Hall’s buy in matters. I’m still not sure that he’s the guy to lead the team in another three years when the defense is sorted and the forwards are talented three lines deep. He may rise and fall with the goaltending.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
No question that Hall’s buy in matters. I’m still not sure that he’s the guy to lead the team in another three years when the defense is sorted and the forwards are talented three lines deep. He may rise and fall with the goaltending.
i think the issue lies in personnel. based on december till now, our team is 25th in the league, with a 16.8%. ray also needs to fix our D corps, and maybe our backup goalie(s).

having refs work against us (whether you believe that's a conspiracy theory or not) hasn't helped us either.

regarding playoffs though, i don't know if we can comment on how hynes would do in those situations, given that we haven't been in that situation with him, yet.

Reactions: My3Sons

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Most would agree and we've discussed this as well, that Hynes best attribute is that he holds everybody to essentially the same standard and is consistent with how he handles guys. This type of coaching from that aspect has been a breath of fresh air because not many coaches in hockey or even in professional sports carry themselves in that manner. It is certainly respectable that he makes everybody go out and earn their time.

The iffy part with Hynes comes with some in game decisions and some ways him and the staff have handled certain things systematically. So you take the good with the bad in that regard. Can he be the coach that gets us over the Hump? Not entirely sure, but if the players respect him, sometimes that goes a longer way than having a better coach systematically but worse off relationship wise similar to Sutter.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
I still think Hynes is not that great of a coach overall, but he is okay compared to Ward and Nasserdine. They f***ing suck and I want them gone..

Reactions: mtnet

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

People can say what they want, but Hynes has done all of the right things with our best player this year.

zacha too. much like kinkaid, hynes has gotten a lot of unwarranted criticism around here. granted, he does make some head scratching in-game moves, but the results he's gotten (out of a less-than-ideal lineup) speaks for itself. nice to see hall give him a vote of confidence.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I don’t think anyone should be surprised by that. Team is performing ahead of schedule, so of course the coach will get rewarded for that.

Players also talk him up a lot. They don’t care if fans dislike him.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I expected that Hynes probably got an extension at some point and we just didn’t hear about it, and we didn’t hear about it before these reports.

I’m still not a fan of his, but I think there’s also greater a chance that he’s not as bad as I originally thought. He’s been better the last couple months, but goaltending is making him look worse and he definitely knows it.

I just hope Ward wasn’t extended, or we better be prepared to eat his new contract soon.

It also keeps us away from AV when the axe falls on him in 6 or 7 weeks and he’s available, so it’s definitely not the worst thing.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think he’s done a decent job the last 2.5 months. I don’t think we were ever winning because of him, but I don’t think we were winning in spite of him and I don’t think we’ve lost a lot the last two months because of him.

I’m not ready to say he’s a good head coach, but I don’t think he’s a total negative like John MacLean, Patrick Roy, Rick Tocchet, 2018 AV, Doug Weight, Pierre McGuire, etc.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think he’s done a decent job the last 2.5 months. I don’t think we were ever winning because of him, but I don’t think we were winning in spite of him and I don’t think we’ve lost a lot the last two months because of him.

I’m not ready to say he’s a good head coach, but I don’t think he’s a total negative like John MacLean, Patrick Roy, Rick Tocchet, 2018 AV, Doug Weight, Pierre McGuire, etc.

I mean there just wasn’t a reasonable way to get rid of him. The team is vastly improved and on the road to the playoffs. The players go out of their way to praise him. They seem to really respect him and are buying into what he sells.

He does a lot of annoying little things, but GM and ownership look at those above points so it is easy to see why they are keeping him.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I mean there just wasn’t a reasonable way to get rid of him. The team is vastly improved and on the road to the playoffs. The players go out of their way to praise him. They seem to really respect him and are buying into what he sells.

He does a lot of annoying little things, but GM and ownership look at those above points so it is easy to see why they are keeping him.
Yeah, they definitely wouldn’t be firing him if he made the playoffs, so I understand it. I definitely don’t think Ward should be back though, but it’s kind of hard to complain about not firing anybody if you make the playoffs.

So that is what they meant by extension.

I think that is more then fair.

I definitely think it’s fair and even said a month ago that as long as we don’t regress to getting outplayed badly down the stretch, that I could justify one more even if we miss the playoffs, but that him coming back beyond next year is contingent on making the playoffs next year, no questions asked.

Before I definitely think he’s not bad, I need to see more from him, but I haven’t really been a vehemently huge critics of his since mid-December.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Yeah, they definitely wouldn’t be firing him if he made the playoffs, so I understand it. I definitely don’t think Ward should be back though, but it’s kind of hard to complain about not firing anybody if you make the playoffs.

I definitely think it’s fair and even said a month ago that as long as we don’t regress to getting outplayed badly down the stretch, that I could justify one more even if we miss the playoffs, but that him coming back beyond next year is contingent on making the playoffs next year, no questions asked.

Before I definitely think he’s not bad, I need to see more from him, but I haven’t really been a vehemently huge critics of his since mid-December.
I think he’s earned at least 2 more years. It is only his third year as a head coach. Year1-we over achieved, Year2- we had a really bad team. Now that Shero has gotten the personell to match the style these next two years will be the true evaluation years. We have had ups and downs this year but that’s mainly due to inexperience

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think he’s earned at least 2 more years. It is only his third year as a head coach. Year1-we over achieved, Year2- we had a really bad team. Now that Shero has gotten the personell to match the style these next two years will be the true evaluation years. We have had ups and downs this year but that’s mainly due to inexperience

Well the option is only for one more year.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Well the option is only for one more year.

I could see an actual extension on top of picking up the option if they make the playoffs and have a good enough showing in them.

I did think the timing of announcing it last night was shrewd even though it was actually agreed to earlier in the season, especially after what Patty said about Shero/Hynes during his speech.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad