Coach John Hynes Discussion

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
Ive been his biggest critic at times, but I don't think firing hynes is the answer. Unless you can find a clear upgrade which is doubtful. The rest of the staff on the other hand.....

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Anyone who can see that LJ should be scratched

Lovejoy isn't a sexy player at all but he's not making the bonehead plays that are costing us games. He's not generating squat but he's not f***ing his assignments in his own zone.

That's Greene and Severson's job. On the 1st goal, Greene followed Ehlers who was already covered by TWO forwards and on the 3rd goal, Severson literally looked like he was playing in my beer league.

What NHL player is diving head first and stays on his stomach, waiving his stick at the puck, to break up a play. That was nothing short of embarrassing and Hynes had just about enough of his nonsense defending. He was responsible for at least 2 goals against the Habs and gift wrapped the Jets 3rd goal tonight.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Mueller step in for Severson and I'd approve that move all day long if it were to happen.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
That's not a good enough reason not to fire him.

The post was referencing firing him IN-season...which is pretty unlikely. Especially given the hideous replacements in-house. If you want to fire him in the offseason after we choke the playoffs away and upgrade at coach be my guest, but any change now is just a change for change's sake. There's no Larry Robinson or Lemaire or Lou to take the reins.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Bad goaltending gets coaches fired.

And Steve Valiquette did not coin this phrase, but Stan Fischler might have.:P

That said, Hynes hasn't done enough to warrant a long term commitment. It's time to shit or get off the pot.

As far as regular season games coached goes, Hynes will pass DeBoer in regular season games coached just a couple games into next regular season, so it's not like he's not gotten some rope here, but his goalie are bawlz this year. Do we keep Hynes here for 4-5 years just because we're rebuilding and not ''Supposed to be good''?

He's done a little better this year than last year, I might be able to give him that, but at the same time, talent has been upgraded since last year by quite a bit.

Reactions: Davegarri

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
I can only see Shero letting Hynes go for an experienced coach like Trotz if the caps don’t bring him back. It wouldn’t really make sense to fire Hynes and then bring in someone that doesn’t have NHL experience, Even then it would be kind of a dick move by a gm to let go of someone after picking up their option. So idk especially since Shero doesn’t like changing coaches like Lou and this is like the first time in halls career he would have the same coach for three seasons

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
Didn’t Hynes get extended? I know Shero was a buyer at the deadline but I don’t see him firing Hynes considering we overachieved most of the season.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Hynes can't do anything against bad goaltending. He can draw up the best gameplan ever, it won't work if his netminder can't stop pucks.

Reactions: mtnet

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yeah whatever issues I have with Hynes and his staff on certain personnel choices and deployment ultimately this last stretch is coming down to goaltending more than anything else. Replacing Hynes ain’t fixing that. They may still have to eventually upgrade on Hynes and his staff though, they’re a lot better in the locker room than at x’s and o’s

Reactions: Bleedred

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
It still blows my mind that he has not swapped someone out at least ONCE for Mueller while we have lost games. So f***ing dumb

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It still blows my mind that he has not swapped someone out at least ONCE for Mueller while we have lost games. So ****ing dumb

Handedness of defensemen is apparently as big a deal now as handedness of forwards with Pete/Oates.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Someone please explain to me how all of the stinky goals let in by our top two goalies the last few months are Hynes' fault. Seriously, go for it.

It's not Shero. It's not Hynes. It's not Harris and Blitzer.

It's the shocking lack of quality from guys who we expect it from. Nothing more, nothing less.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Nah, Coach Q, and no I'm not saying Hynes needs to be fired yet, but if he does, that's the only guy I want.

Imagine we signed Tavares and/or Carlson and had him behind the bench. 2020 and 2022 Cup Champs.

yeah that would work too. is it still true that no coaches have been fired yet this year? if so, that's absolutely ridiculous given the usual turnover we see by march. it definitely throws a wrinkle into things.

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
yeah that would work too. is it still true that no coaches have been fired yet this year? if so, that's absolutely ridiculous given the usual turnover we see by march. it definitely throws a wrinkle into things.

Coach Q was always going to finish this season, and if he's the type of professional we're looking for, which he is, there's a strong possibility he concedes his project in Chicago has run its course (Three Cups in six years after 49 years of nothing cements his legacy in Blackhawks history.) and he leaves by mutual consent.

Reactions: MartyOwns

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Did not know Hynes could stop pucks and score some as well...

The team has not been getting outplayed. The players are beating themselves. No one can save a shot or score. My only gripe is not using Santini or Mueller but that is not the difference when you have guys like Severson Greene and the forwards shitting the bed.

Reactions: New Jersey

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Did not know Hynes could stop pucks and score some as well...

The team has not been getting outplayed. The players are beating themselves. No one can save a shot or score. My only gripe is not using Santini or Mueller but that is not the difference.

I do get excited over the idea of a Coach Q or Barry Trotz in NJ, but I honestly do agree with this as well.

Not saying I think Hynes should be fired, but if he's gone after this season for an established coach, woo boy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad