Post-Game Talk: Clinch

3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Nonsense the biggest issue with it is A a lot of times the winner is so far ahead the pack that they stagnate like Boston last year or B people forget it’s really hard to win the Cup regardless where you finish but having home ice is an advantage no matter what.

This year with how close everyone is it’s a race to the finish. We should want to win every game I love the mentality. Don’t forget we won it the year we last won the Cup.

Obviously you don’t play dinged up players that goes without saying.

Plenty of players are dinged up come playoff time. I'd rather give guys like Trocheck, Panarin, Laf, and Fox, a couple of extra days of rest than I'd care about beating Carolina by a point, especially since the data proves that winning that trophy isn't connected in any way to winning a Cup.

In the last 8 seasons, not one President's Trophy winner has even made it to the Finals and only one team has made it to the Conference finals.

And getting the 7th game at home isn't that big a deal. The home team wins 58% of the time, but when you factor in that they're often perceived as the better team going into the round, it doesn't seem worth it to me to push your team at the end of the season.

This doesn't even factor in an injury that could occur in one of these games. Panarin's late-season injury two seasons ago was a big negative, even though he still managed to put up 16 in 20.

The year the Rangers won they had arguably the best defenseman in the NHL and another defenseman who outscored him. You would be hard-pressed to find to find a better pair of defensemen on any team in any season, not to mention how good and deep the rest of that team was. They had 5 Hall of Famers.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Teams play to win. Any self respecting, competitive athlete from rec leagues to pros play to win. Whether its for a pizza and beer to the worlds greatest trophy.

You play to win the Cup, not the President's trophy.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I thought Miller was godawful last night.

I was hoping for more consistency by this stage of his career.

He looks so lost at times. Maybe thinking offense too much? Was WAYYYY out of position on at least 2 of those goals.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I thought Miller was godawful last night.

I was hoping for more consistency by this stage of his career.

He looks so lost at times. Maybe thinking offense too much? Was WAYYYY out of position on at least 2 of those goals.

I was critical of miller earlier in the season and he stunk last night, especially up close, but that was his first bad game in months.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
8kqp0a.jpg

Reactions: duhmetreE

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I finally got around to watching this one. Calling it a wild game is an understatement.

Here's a few salty gems from the Flyers broadcast:
  • After seeing a celebrity (I didn't catch who but I think it was a golfer) chugging a beer on the jumbotron: "You never know what you are going to see at MSG. I can tell you what you aren't going to see and that's printed press notes and a press meal, but okay."
  • After the Zibanejad PP goal: "It's Zibanejad. It's the Flyers. It's a goal."
  • They were not too pleased with Fox, criticizing him for embellishing the high-sticking penalty and for what they said was a late hit on a vulnerable player in the 3rd. I'm sure Fox cried himself to sleep last night.
  • They ripped into Vesey (and rightfully so) after the 3rd Flyers goal. "Why would you shoot that puck from there? All you can do is help the transition the other way. That's a big mistake from Vesey."

I watched all of our goals with their broadcast on youtube and I believe they made an excuse for every goal.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Nonsense the biggest issue with it is A a lot of times the winner is so far ahead the pack that they stagnate like Boston last year or B people forget it’s really hard to win the Cup regardless where you finish but having home ice is an advantage no matter what.

This year with how close everyone is it’s a race to the finish. We should want to win every game I love the mentality. Don’t forget we won it the year we last won the Cup.

Obviously you don’t play dinged up players that goes without saying.
This. 100%. The true curse of the President Trophy is specifically due to issues associated with not having gone through (serious) adversity during regular season and so not being prepared for when adversity arrives in the playoffs where the stakes are much higher. It’s the other side of the coin to where a team that’s been on the verge of not making it and having to fight almost in the elimination type style down the stretch continues to perform and find success because they’ve been in this back to wall mode for awhile and learned how to deal with it.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
This. 100%. The true curse of the President Trophy is specifically due to issues associated with not having gone through (serious) adversity during regular season and so not being prepared for when adversity arrives in the playoffs where the stakes are much higher. It’s the other side of the coin to where a team that’s been on the verge of not making it and having to fight almost in the elimination type style down the stretch continues to perform and find success because they’ve been in this back to wall mode for awhile and learned how to deal with it.

Well said and the Rangers have faced plenty of adversity this year. They played all season without an nhl 3C. Key injuries to many guys, their star goalie forgetting how to play for 6 weeks. Canes on their backs all year. Lot of big time wins and comebacks

I think this team is ready

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
The New York Rangers Are Your 2023-24 Stanley Cup Champions

"But what about 5x5…"

I'm so sick of this argument. They've got more 5x5 goals than Florida. They've got better Corsi & scoring chance percentages than the Bruins. They've got a better 5x5 shot share than the Canucks. The Carolina Hurricanes have been the league's analytical darlings for years yet they haven't won a single game past the second round in 5 years. No team is perfect, and even if it seems like they are you still gotta win games when it matters…and this iteration of the New York Rangers is built to do exactly that in just a few weeks time.

I bet no one here would have guessed those things since we only hear the negatives

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
The New York Rangers Are Your 2023-24 Stanley Cup Champions

"But what about 5x5…"

I'm so sick of this argument. They've got more 5x5 goals than Florida. They've got better Corsi & scoring chance percentages than the Bruins. They've got a better 5x5 shot share than the Canucks. The Carolina Hurricanes have been the league's analytical darlings for years yet they haven't won a single game past the second round in 5 years. No team is perfect, and even if it seems like they are you still gotta win games when it matters…and this iteration of the New York Rangers is built to do exactly that in just a few weeks time.

I bet no one here would have guessed those things since we only hear the negatives
I feel the the 2024 Cup could go to like 7 different teams, we’re certainly one of them. But I stopped reading here:

“Lindgren the warrior. Trouba the game-changer.”

Lots of good teams this year, almost every playoff team is a contender.
1711586623516.png

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I couldn't have said this any better.

Sam is the New York Rangers. He is to me and my father. Yes, Sam makes regular mistakes. So what. His passion and love for this team is something that can't be denied and it shows every second of every game.
I’ve said it before, but I couldn’t care less about the accuracy of a tv broadcaster. I consider the broadcaster a buddy I’m watching the game with. A buddy who’s really into the game and chatty. Sam is absolutely perfect for me. Joe is good too. As for the radio, I need a little better description, for obvious reasons but it’s much the same concept. Love me some Dave Maloney and Stemmer is solid too. The pbp guys are a little less of a factor for me there.

Reactions: kovazub94 and bl02

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I just saw an interesting stat. The Rangers have the best winning percentage in the NHL when trailing first. In fact they won they last three despite allowing the first goal. I think three years in a row we're a top team in that department.

Edit: Not top, 7th and 8th the last two years.

Reactions: Larrybiv

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
I watched all of our goals with their broadcast on youtube and I believe they made an excuse for every goal.

I don’t mind the Flyers guys too much. They’re homers but that’s part of the job. They give credit and are complimentary to players that are playing well, like Panarin and Lafreniere last night. They also seem to have taken a liking to Chytil over the past few years and would talk him up quite a bit in their broadcasts.

I think they went a little too far on the homer side with their treatment of Fox and their commentary on the Trocheck goal.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
I'm pretty sure there is a press meal. I've heard others talk about it. We do need to provide pre-game press notes, though. If we don't, that's some bullshit.

How he phrased it (no printed notes) left his gripe ambiguous. Were there no notes provided or were there digital notes and he wanted a hard copy? I have no idea.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
Torts always hated skill players.
yep. This is like a new unprecedented level of old head delusion though. Torts is so far up his own ass about “playing the right way” that he’s somehow convinced that Owen Tippett shouldn’t be out there in 3v3 OT lol. Aside from the handful of best players on earth I don’t know if there’s a more obvious forward to thrive in that game state, yet somehow he’s countering Panarin/Fox/Trocheck with shitters

Reactions: Captain Lindy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad