Post-Game Talk: Clinch

3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Gonna take a moment to bitch about the 3rd goal the Flyers scored because it annoyed the hell out of me. Fox moves the puck down to Vesey and Jones starts to pinch in looking for a backdoor play. Cuylle is the man up high and doesn't see Jones pinching down or decides he also wants to crash the net, so Fox is alone up high.
So you've got 4 Rangers at or below the hashmarks and Vesey decides to fire a no look shot at the net from the goal line for...reason? At first I thought it was an attempted pass to Jones but no he just shot the puck and of course it careens around the boards and out and leads to the odd man rush the Flyers score on.

Just infuriates me how poorly Vesey played that and how Cuylle missed covering for the pinching D. Just careless and sloppy all around. I don't blame Jones too much because he moved into wide open space on the ice and you generally expect someone to cover your point or at least for your forward to not commit such an egregious turnover.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
These games are the epitome of "thanks i hate it"
I always think of the meme with the rat.

8kp47p.jpg

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I still have such a hard time really grabbing a hold on to what this team is. On one hand, our #1C (on paper at least) has been so disappointing, I feel the defence is vulnerable, and even Shesty has had a bit of an up and down year. At the same time, we are the first team to clinch a playoff spot, and still well on the hunt for the Presidents Trophy.

I just hope we are not regular season pretenders, most of it comes down to Panarin. And I do have a better feeling about him this year. Or at least his line.

Flyers fans are talking very passionately about wanting to fire Tortorella. They feel that his misuse of talent in OT cost them the second point.
Without Torts, that team would be battling for the lottery odds with Columbus and Montreal in this conference. If as a Flyers fan you would prefer that, then it's ok to want Torts gone. But that should be towards the management, not the coach. And if you are a Flyers fan who wants his team to win, the STFU. You know nothing, and Torts does know something. I don't think it's wrong if Torts is a Jack Adams finalist.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I still have such a hard time really grabbing a hold on to what this team is. On one hand, our #1C (on paper at least) has been so disappointing, I feel the defence is vulnerable, and even Shesty has had a bit of an up and down year. At the same time, we are the first team to clinch a playoff spot, and still well on the hunt for the Presidents Trophy.

I just hope we are not regular season pretenders, most of it comes down to Panarin. And I do have a better feeling about him this year. Or at least his line.
We have holes, but I also kinda look at the East and I'm like "meh..."

The only team that's very, VERY good is Florida and we've actually played well against them this year.

Tampa, I don't care. Detroit is a joke. We've beaten Carolina. Boston's fake. Toronto, who cares. Don't love the Philly matchup but we clearly have more talent.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Flyers fans are talking very passionately about wanting to fire Tortorella. They feel that his misuse of talent in OT cost them the second point.
His coaching is the only real reason they're competitive this year, especially without a good goaltending...

That said I dunno, the Flyers never even got the puck in OT and while they had a chance to recover it after Panarin's shot that's also just a good play by Panarin and Trocheck

That said yeah I guess I'd be miffed if Laviolette started like, Brodzinki Vesey and Gustafsson

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
It's a trophy with zero meaning and near-zero import. It's produced the winner of the Cup 8 times in almost 40 years.

In the last 10 years - Zero Cups. None of the trophy winners even made it to the finals.

If it comes down to the last few days of the seasons, I would rather rest any players that are even a little dinged up than care about the trophy,

Nonsense the biggest issue with it is A a lot of times the winner is so far ahead the pack that they stagnate like Boston last year or B people forget it’s really hard to win the Cup regardless where you finish but having home ice is an advantage no matter what.

This year with how close everyone is it’s a race to the finish. We should want to win every game I love the mentality. Don’t forget we won it the year we last won the Cup.

Obviously you don’t play dinged up players that goes without saying.

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
I finally got around to watching this one. Calling it a wild game is an understatement.

Here's a few salty gems from the Flyers broadcast:
  • After seeing a celebrity (I didn't catch who but I think it was a golfer) chugging a beer on the jumbotron: "You never know what you are going to see at MSG. I can tell you what you aren't going to see and that's printed press notes and a press meal, but okay."
  • After the Zibanejad PP goal: "It's Zibanejad. It's the Flyers. It's a goal."
  • They were not too pleased with Fox, criticizing him for embellishing the high-sticking penalty and for what they said was a late hit on a vulnerable player in the 3rd. I'm sure Fox cried himself to sleep last night.
  • They ripped into Vesey (and rightfully so) after the 3rd Flyers goal. "Why would you shoot that puck from there? All you can do is help the transition the other way. That's a big mistake from Vesey."

• Love
Reactions: egelband

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
So I noticed Shaw did the post game coach presser instead of Torts... think that's because of Brooks?

Brooks doesn't do post game pressers nowadays, I believe, as Mollie handles them. Brooks is the hockey op-ed columnist.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I grew up with Brian Leetch. I don't remember Rod Gilbert.

There's people now that don't remember Brian Leetch. There's gonna be people before you know it who don't remember Chris Kreider.

The boomers had Sam Rosen. Gen X had Sam Rosen. The Millennials had Sam Rosen. Gen Z had Sam Rosen. The generation after that is gonna have Sam Rosen.

He has brought so much love and so much joy.

He's 76 years old. Don't take for granted what you have.
I do remember Rod Gilbert, not vividly, but I do remember seeing a #7 on the ice for the Rangers.

I sort of remember bits and pieces of the 1979 Cup run.

I remember saying to my dad that "the guy on TV for the Rangers is the same guy that is on the radio for the Giants."

I remember all of those playoff upsets of the Flyers during the early 80's only to lose to the Islanders in the second round.

Sam Rosen became the Rangers full-time play by play announcer at the start of the 1984-85 season, my freshman year pf high school.

I can remember some of those completely overmatched Ranger teams going into places like Calgary or Winnipeg, scoring a third period goal that came completely out of nowhere, and Rosen screaming "The Rangers SCORE!" Back then arenas would go silent. Not as many road fans, and very few arenas would have the sound systems they have today.

The first two seasons, Sam worked with Phil Esposito. Because Espo knew everything from the booth, he was hired as GM.

Sam & JD started in 1986-87.

Brian Leetch made his debut for the Rangers during the end of the 1987-88 season, my senior year of high school. By this time, the Rangers were by far and away my #1 sports team. Some of that may have been because the Yankees were no longer on TV all season thanks to SportsChannel, and that I had switched over to the Mets at that time because of that. After I started playing football, I became a Giants fan, and I always casually followed the Knicks.

All that said, Sam Rosen called the Rangers Cup in his NINTH season as the play-by-play guy.

Sam Rosen has been a part of my life since I was 13. I'm now 53.

Each October, that first MSG broadcast, Sam's voice reminds me of being a kid, young adult, or of past times. It's comforting. It's also a sign of knowing the leaves are going to change SOON and these 80 degree days are just about over.

Sure, he makes mistakes. The broadcasts with Joe aren't what they probably should be (and I'll blame Joe for more of that.) And he's not good on NFL games...not even sure if he still does them. But he IS and will always be the voice of the New York Rangers.

I introduced my daughter to Rangers hockey when she was 6. She's now 15. That's nine seasons. The same amount of time from Sam's debut until he called a championship.

I am not sure any team in any sport has what we have in Sam. The Dodgers had Vin Scully. That's about all I can think of. Certainly no hockey broadcaster with ties to one team is even close.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
I finally got around to watching this one. Calling it a wild game is an understatement.

• After seeing a celebrity (I didn't catch who but I think it was a golfer) chugging a beer on the jumbotron: "You never know what you are going to see at MSG. I can tell you what you aren't going to see and that's printed press notes and a press meal, but okay."
  • They were not too pleased with Fox, criticizing him for embellishing the high-sticking penalty and for what they said was a late hit on a vulnerable player in the 3rd. I'm sure Fox cried himself to sleep last night.
  • They ripped into Vesey (and rightfully so) after the 3rd Flyers goal. "Why would you shoot that puck from there? All you can do is help the transition the other way. That's a big mistake from Vesey."
I saw that in one of the highlight videos. I was laughing my ass off.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
dang, at least I agree with them on something

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
So then they get no credit at all from you for anything they have accomplished so far this year. First place all year, top 5 team all year. Most points and wins in the league a/o today. There are many other teams either fighting for their playoff lives or not sniffing them. Why is it not ok to be happy about what they have done so far this season? Why is it never good enough for some?
This. There iS an ignore button still, right?
Prior to the season, if someone told you we'd be first to 100, first overall in the league, 4th on PK, 7th on PP (or whatever it is),
losing Chytil all season, no Trouba, Lindgren, Fox intermittently and what seems to be off seasons for Mika and Shesty. A schedule with 3 very long stretches of no games......did I miss something? Well, pretty sure 98- 99% of us would take that in a heartbeat. Leaving the 1 or 2% that will never be happy with anything UNLESS we take home the cup. Again, ignore button. I only have used it once or twice......gonna start paying attention to those that just wanna be unappreciative. It's been fun this year, and IF you haven't been enjoying this, then HOW in GOD's name will you feel you deserve WATCHING our team raise the Cup?

Sam is awesome for sure. I bet your dad remembers The Big Whistle Bill Chadwick as well. He was partners with Jim Gordon and even had his own once a week local cable access show. I called in right before one of my ganes. The guys in my locker room were laughing when I walked in. My question was is Barry Beck as good as Potvin. Bill who made the famous line "shoot the puck Barry", said no. I was disappointed lol 😭
Thats cool Nicky, wish my Dad watched and enjoyed hockey with me. (R.I.P Dad)

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
So I noticed Shaw did the post game coach presser instead of Torts... think that's because of Brooks?
Hmmmm, might have MUCH to do with it. Can't be bothered with his nonsense, and maybe he was afraid he might "lose it". Sure enough, they questioned who was sent out, and Shaw had a good "cover-up" answer. Who knows what the real truth is. Maybe again, making a point with his players? Bad time to do that, if so. #LOVETORTS

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Thats cool Nicky, wish my Dad watched and enjoyed hockey with me. (R.I.P Dad)
Larry my dad and I were very different in some ways but we always bonded over sports. I wish your dad did that with you as well. My dad is gone 2 years now. I think about him every day. My mom passed recently as well. She and I had lunch every week but she was kind enough to change our schedule during NY Giants season. :)

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011

I'm pretty sure there is a press meal. I've heard others talk about it. We do need to provide pre-game press notes, though. If we don't, that's some bullshit.

Reactions: Kodiak and egelband

hackeyman

Jun 26, 2018
5 votes(including mine) for Vincent Trocheck. Seriously ? For real ? You've got to be f***ing kidding me ? 17 faceoff wins.......no big deal. Led the forwards in blocked shots with 3 . 2nd in hits. Was on the ice for 4 of 6 goals we scored. Maybe you didn't like his shorty ?Or what about about the hit he absorbed in overtime and managed to keep possesion of the puck and then later sets up the goal. Oh and did I mention 17 faceoff wins.........not sure how one of them wasn't an assist on Laffy's goal may have touched an opponent but we never lossed possession really from the faceoff. Panarin , Panarin , Panarin blah blah blah. Vincenzo has been the difference this year .Our MVP !!!
I see they have now given Trocheck and Panarin assists on Laffy's goal. 3 point night for Trocheck and he is now officially at a point a game for the year.

Mandar

The Real Maven
Sep 27, 2013
The Tarheel State
I'm pretty sure there is a press meal. I've heard others talk about it. We do need to provide pre-game press notes, though. If we don't, that's some bullshit.
they probably do provide pregame press notes....just not printed (which is what he was bitching about). Would assume it is downloadable for them in some fashion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad