Confirmed with Link: Clifton suspended 2 games for his hit on Hischier

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
The player he concussed is out.
tbf, we don't know it is a concussion because the NHL doesn't tell us. IF (and this is a big if) the concussion protocol was being followed, it seems unlikely he would have been cleared to play the 2nd but then pulled for the 3rd.

For the record i also believe it is probably a concussion and that the concussion protocol is a joke, but we do not know for sure.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
Separate cases I know but Brady should have gotten some games for those shots to tuch after fight was done

Reactions: Fearnot

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
What a joke. Far more malicious hits against our players get not a game. This gets 2 why?

Bettman knows this draws heat

As soon as you accept NHL games are predetermined like an AEW match, the sooner you can enjoy the NHL for what it is, entertainment. Nothing more.

Just suspend reality and enjoy the games

Reactions: Ralonzo

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I don't care that Hischier stopped and Clifton didn't react in time. He went high...he actually elevated upward through the hit. That wasn't necessary at all. He can make a big hit at chest level, fcs. Obviously there are bad comparisons to what goes on with the rest of the league and other league reviews, but we can't bitch much when Clifton clearly did a dumb. I was actually happy that he got matched because he's been so chaotic. He's actually bringing MORE chaos to the Sabres D-zone. I didn't think that was possible, but he's still mostly better than the Bryson. Pilut, Fitz, Clague minutes from last season. Small victories...

Reactions: Chainshot

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I genuinely don’t know how anyone can disagree with this. Even Clifton knows he deserved it.

I honestly thought it was a 2 gamer when I saw it. Then I wondered if the NHL would give him credit for 1 game since it happened so early in the game.

So to me it came down to 1 or 2 games.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
I honestly thought it was a 2 gamer when I saw it. Then I wondered if the NHL would give him credit for 1 game since it happened so early in the game.

So to me it came down to 1 or 2 games.
This was my thought initially;
Match penalty and a fine, light but he has never been suspended before.
Match and a game is reasonable and the NHL is sending a message.
Match and two is overkill based on the DOPS erratic rulings.

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
Generally unknown d-man hits a star player high (and possibly causes a concussion).

You had to know a suspension was coming.

If a well known player had been the one hitting someone, either nothing further happens or maybe a small fine.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Seems excessive. Thought he'd get a fine or, at most, one game.

If they're determined to get hits like this out of the game, I'm in full support. The problem is the next similar situation could produce anything from a 2 minute minor to a multi-game suspension. I guess it's foolish to expect consistency at this point.

Look on the bright side, guys. We finally get to see Bryson in games that count.

Who gets called up?

• Haha
Reactions: Fearnot

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Gotta hate the leagues DOPS sometimes.

They base their judgements on the result of the play instead of the play itself most of the time.

Clifton turned away and expected a full body to body hit. Hischier pulled up to avoid the hit and unfortunately left his head sticking out to be the only part of his body to get contact.

I know the league is doing everything they can to try to keep players from even accidently hitting other players in the head, so I could somewhat get on board with the decisions *if* the league would also come down hard on the intent to injure plays that don't actually injure players, that have no ramifications.

Those are the plays that are much more egregious in my opinion, and it seems to me that punishing both would be the correct path if the goal is to truly cut down the injuries in the league.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Generally unknown d-man hits a star player high (and possibly causes a concussion).

You had to know a suspension was coming.

If a well known player had been the one hitting someone, either nothing further happens or maybe a small fine.
Nah we already had Eichel serve 2 for getting headbutt in the back it's always harsh on us.

Reactions: Chainshot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad