Coach Discussion: Rick Bowness - Jack Adams Finalist

How would you grade Rick Bowness so far at the 1/4 mark?

• A- to A+

Votes: 149 67.1%
  • B- to B+

Votes: 46 20.7%
  • C- to C+

Votes: 18 8.1%
  • D- to D+

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • F

Votes: 8 3.6%

• Total voters

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Frankly, he deserves to be nominated. The transformation to a responsible, defensively structured 5 man unit to reduce high danger chances was beyond anyone's wildest imagination of what this team chock full of bottom 6 Dmen could achieve. Yes, it took too many games to translate in the post season against a very playoff experienced Avs crew. By the time they got back closer to it they were down too far in the series. And our D with Pionk, Schmidt and Stanley - how much can you expect against the highest scoring team in the league. I heard a much different tone from the exit interviews this year - much better in terms of personal accountability and team first mentality. Frankly, he was spot on regarding level of effort required in the post season, needing the absolute desire to win board battles, being willing to get in shot lanes to minimize tip chances, being willing to get chopped hacked and tackled in net front battles, getting beaten back into our own zone allowing for another level of offense from the Avs to come into the play, etc. All spot on. Watch the games - all spot on. I don't see Bones winning the Jack, and I don't know if he comes back or not, but he certainly deserves the nomination.

Ggg99

Sep 17, 2018

Wow congratulations to Bones. Well deserved for the 4th place finish.

But gotta chuckle. Lots of folks who want him gone are maybe scratching their heads.

I guess the NHL Broadcasters' Association knows their hockey?

Anyway, pretty nice card to hold when negotiating his next multi-year deal with Chevy.
<< is there a tongue-in-cheek emoji?? >>

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island

But gotta chuckle. Lots of folks who want him gone are maybe scratching their heads.

Anyway, pretty nice card to hold when negotiating his next multi-year deal with Chevy.
I want to win a Stanley Cup, not hardware for bones

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

Is Kevin Sawyer a member of the NHL Broadcasters' Association? :sarcasm:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Even though there are other people you could get as head coach Arniel was 10-2-2 this season when Bowness was out, i don't think signing Arniel would be a bad thing.

Look at Tocchet, he was poor with an aging/rebuilding Lightning and the Coyotes, but is in the running for the Jack Adam's with the Canucks. I think quality of org and team matters a lot in a coaches success.

I'm not sure if Arniel can or can't take this team over the hump, but I'm not going to hold his time in Columbus against him.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Nice achievement for Bowness and based on the regular season he deserves it, but I don't think the Avalanche think he's much of a coach the way they figured out what the Jets were doing and Jets had no answers.

Reactions: Bigfish and Jets 31

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Frankly, he deserves to be nominated. The transformation to a responsible, defensively structured 5 man unit to reduce high danger chances was beyond anyone's wildest imagination of what this team chock full of bottom 6 Dmen could achieve. Yes, it took too many games to translate in the post season against a very playoff experienced Avs crew. By the time they got back closer to it they were down too far in the series. And our D with Pionk, Schmidt and Stanley - how much can you expect against the highest scoring team in the league. I heard a much different tone from the exit interviews this year - much better in terms of personal accountability and team first mentality. Frankly, he was spot on regarding level of effort required in the post season, needing the absolute desire to win board battles, being willing to get in shot lanes to minimize tip chances, being willing to get chopped hacked and tackled in net front battles, getting beaten back into our own zone allowing for another level of offense from the Avs to come into the play, etc. All spot on. Watch the games - all spot on. I don't see Bones winning the Jack, and I don't know if he comes back or not, but he certainly deserves the nomination.
With all due respect, none of this matters. Whatever Bowness did to improve the Jets, was completely undone when he could not adjust to the Colorado style. In the season we won all three games against the Avs. However, my assumption is that the Avs must have spent all week closely monitoring the team, and potential weaknesses, while the Jets seemed intent on going on a late season run, rather than closely evaluating Colorado, who we knew we would be playing 10 days before the playoffs began.

However, a picture is worth a thousand words, and what Bowness deserves to be terminated for, was giving up in the 3rd period. There was absolutely no excuse for the whole Jets bench to sit back and pout with less than 10 minutes remaining in a game that could have been tied up, while the contrast in the Colorado bench was evident. It almost seemed like Bowness did not even try to adapt to the Colorado game plan until Game 5, and even then he inexplicably switched the lines back to the way they were in Games 2,3, and 4 to start the 3rd period.

True North have always been too loyal, and my fear is that they will go with Scott Arniel, who does not have a good reputation as a coach in the NHL. However, in fairness to Arniel, he did go 9-2-2, when Bones took the leave of absence.

Incidentally, it may have been Sidney Crosby who was indirectly responsibly for getting our first Coach Claude Noel fired. I hope someone can dig up this interview, but in January 2014, Crosby was asked about the Jets team after a win. Crosby had a perplexed look on his face, and implied that the Jets were completely dysfunctional, and not playing as a team. The fact that the top player in the NHL said this on national TV, was the final straw that got Noel canned. It was known in inner circles that Noel has lost the room, and players had tuned him out during the 2013-14 season.

Last edited:

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Look at Tocchet, he was poor with an aging/rebuilding Lightning and the Coyotes, but is in the running for the Jack Adam's with the Canucks. I think quality of org and team matters a lot in a coaches success.

I'm not sure if Arniel can or can't take this team over the hump, but I'm not going to hold his time in Columbus against him.

All depends on on how adaptable he is. Being stubborn isn't going to lead to championships anymore, you need to be able to admit mistakes and move on or adapt, GM included (hi Neal).

Assuming he's the next guy so we'll see if he's a "this is my philosophy but we'll work around the talent and performance" or a "this is my way I want these guys here" kind of coach.

If they bring back Bowness I don't know what will change with his decades long "I'll fail my way" mantra.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
It's a honor to be nominated because he did a good job during the regular season, and that's what the award is for. But, in a few days, 2 of the 3 nominated will be out of the playoffs, and the only reason 1 of the nominated is still in the playoffs, is because the teams happened to play each other.

I wonder if Chevy is deciding if he will let Bones reapply for his job...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
With all due respect, none of this matters. Whatever Bowness did to improve the Jets, was completely undone when he could not adjust to the Colorado style. In the season we won all three games against the Avs. However, my assumption is that the Avs must have spent all week closely monitoring the team, and potential weaknesses, while the Jets seemed intent on going on a late season run, rather than closely evaluating Colorado, who we knew we would be playing 10 days before the playoffs began.

However, a picture is worth a thousand words, and what Bowness deserves to be terminated for, was giving up in the 3rd period. There was absolutely no excuse for the whole Jets bench to sit back and pout with less than 10 minutes remaining in a game that could have been tied up, while the contrast in the Colorado bench was evident. It almost seemed like Bowness did not even try to adapt to the Colorado game plan until Game 5, and even then he inexplicably switched the lines back to the way they were in Games 2,3, and 4 to start the 3rd period.

True North have always been too loyal, and my fear is that they will go with Scott Arniel, who does not have a good reputation as a coach in the NHL. However, in fairness to Arniel, he did go 9-2-2, when Bones took the leave of absence.

Incidentally, it may have been Sidney Crosby who was indirectly responsibly for getting our first Coach Claude Noel fired. I hope someone can dig up this interview, but in January 2014, Crosby was asked about the Jets team after a win. Crosby had a perplexed look on his face, and implied that the Jets were completely dysfunctional, and not playing as a team. The fact that the top player in the NHL said this on national TV, was the final straw that got Noel canned. It was known in inner circles that Noel has lost the room, and players had tuned him out during the 2013-14 season.
With all due respect, it matters.

At the beginning of the year I don't think anyone would have predicted:
- 110 point season
- The lowest goals against in the regular season
- 3 goals or fewer in 34 consecutive games
- Have a Jennings Trophy winning team
- Coach be nominated for Jack Adams

And if there was a poll about that before it happened, 90%+ would have said wow that would be a great accomplishment.

Those are meaningful accomplishments. They should be built upon. Listen to the exit interviews this year, the boys understand that. First time in forever that this team played well defensively as a five man unit. And with lots of pretty mediocre D men as part of that.

I guess the Avs should have fired Bednar last year when 7th seed Seattle knocked them out in the first round last year, since everything in the regular season was 'undone'. Or the smart option, you build on the experience and get better next year. For the Jets, there is a lot of really good to build upon.

I don't know if Bowness comes back next year or not. But pretending that those accomplishments mean nothing is pure ignorance.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
With all due respect, it matters.

At the beginning of the year I don't think anyone would have predicted:
- 110 point season
- The lowest goals against in the regular season
- 3 goals or fewer in 34 consecutive games
- Have a Jennings Trophy winning team
- Coach be nominated for Jack Adams

And if there was a poll about that before it happened, 90%+ would have said wow that would be a great accomplishment.

Those are meaningful accomplishments. They should be built upon. Listen to the exit interviews this year, the boys understand that. First time in forever that this team played well defensively as a five man unit. And with lots of pretty mediocre D men as part of that.

I guess the Avs should have fired Bednar last year when 7th seed Seattle knocked them out in the first round last year, since everything in the regular season was 'undone'. Or the smart option, you build on the experience and get better next year. For the Jets, there is a lot of really good to build upon.

I don't know if Bowness comes back next year or not. But pretending that those accomplishments mean nothing is pure ignorance.
I don't really care what Bowness accomplished in the regular season. It's great that we finished with 52 wins, but the reality is that Colorado destroyed us in the playoffs, and Bowness failed to devise any significant plan to counter this.

However, standing around with less than 10 minutes remaining in a close game, without even attempting to rally the players, or devise some game plan is inexcusable. Like what on earth was Bowness thinking? That "it's over" and the team may as well "go through the motions." And why on Earth would Bowness revert to the lineups in Games 2-4, after the Jets arguably played their best hockey of the series for two periods?

This is not unique to Bowness. Cherry may be the best example of an Adams Trophy coach getting fired for one bad move, at a crucial part of a game. Firing a coach after he fails to prepare the team for the playoffs, or cannot go toe-to-toe with the opposing coach, happens all the time. Hell, even the Toronto Raptors fired Dwayne Casey a year before winning the NBA championship, after Casey led the team to first place in the Conference, with a 59-23 record..

Dale53130

Nov 10, 2019
I don't really care what Bowness accomplished in the regular season. It's great that we finished with 52 wins, but the reality is that Colorado destroyed us in the playoffs, and Bowness failed to devise any significant plan to counter this.

However, standing around with less than 10 minutes remaining in a close game, without even attempting to rally the players, or devise some game plan is inexcusable. Like what on earth was Bowness thinking? That "it's over" and the team may as well "go through the motions." And why on Earth would Bowness revert to the lineups in Games 2-4, after the Jets arguably played their best hockey of the series for two periods?

This is not unique to Bowness. Cherry may be the best example of an Adams Trophy coach getting fired for one bad move, at a crucial part of a game. Firing a coach after he fails to prepare the team for the playoffs, or cannot go toe-to-toe with the opposing coach, happens all the time. Hell, even the Toronto Raptors fired Dwayne Casey a year before winning the NBA championship, after Casey led the team to first place in the Conference, with a 59-23 record..
I wanted them to keep Casey around (all of those years) up until those playoffs. He deviated away from the reason they were so successful that year, "The Bench Mob", and went back to staggering his line-ups in the playoffs. I always root for DeRozan, and always want him to have success, but I never want him on my team going forward. He and Lowry were like deer in the headlights every year; 1 out of every 3 games either one of them could qualify as playing "good" in the playoffs. Every year in the playoffs, Matt Devlin would say of Lowry, "Don't poke the bear!" And all I thought is you can poke away all day and night, he's not waking up.

Bowness lost me in the playoffs this year, in similar fashion.

And Ehlers isn't even DeRozan when it comes to the playoffs... You're never winning with those guys. The math guys that say differently, are on par with those that tell you you can't beat the slots (that fully understand the odds and the house edge), and for some unknown reason, keep playing the slots themselves!

Last edited:

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Meh, now he can afford for men’s hair colouring.

Bowness...

The new Grecian Man...

2 minutes for looking so good "Bones"...

:laugh:

I think your answer starts with a direct contradiction.

Good... I think he was wanting an argument...

abuse.gif

:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad