Helene St. James Cleary could be re-signed, but not play

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Joker and Miller are blocking Larkin. If Larkin looks the part, he should earn a spot over Joker.

Luke-Larkin-Lando wouldn't be too shabby. However, I'd rather Larkin play 20+ mins a night with Mantha and AA in GR.

Or

Jurco-Larkin-Pookie
Most of this "X is blocking Y" stuff is pretty meaningless when it comes down to it. There's always injuries and opportunities during the season for jobs to be taken. While it would be nice to have that perfect roster of our dreams in place for Game 1 of the season, it's actually more important to have the depth to cope with injuries and have competition for jobs, especially since very few kids can actually handle an entire 82 game NHL season without serious ups and down in their play. I think that's what Holland knows and why he doesn't do the type of moves this board wants him to, which would be shipping out guys like Quincey/Kindl/Smith/Miller/Andersson to 'make room' for the kids.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Babcock loved his vets and Holland goes out and signs Brad Richards.

but yeah it was Babcock who forced Kenny to sign veterans.

The shift to blame Babcock for Holland's awful signings since he left has been swift.

In corporate speak it's called blame the dead guy

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I like the Richards signing. He cost the team nothing in terms of assets. He will add to the center depth, and will surely help mentor the youth. And having center depth is NEVER a bad thing. Not to mention, Richards is known to be a playoff performer, something this team greatly lacks.

As for Larkin, he could get his turn when the inevitable injuries occur. And injuries will happen.

Brandel*

Do contracts that slide count against the 50 contract limit?

edit: they don't count

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
The latest:

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index..._wings_might_sign_d.html#incart_story_package

"The Red Wings have 24 players (those projected to make the roster), one over the limit, and are close to $1 million over the salary cap, according to hockeyscap.com...

If Cleary is signed and assigned to the AHL, a maximum of $950,000 of his salary wouldn't count against the cap.
If there are a couple of injuries, the Red Wings wouldn't have any issues with having Cleary on the roster as the 13th or 14th forward.

They're not going to keep a younger player, like Dylan Larkin or Anthony Mantha, on the roster as a spare when he could be playing regularly in Grand Rapids."

Makes sense. I have no problem with signing Cleary at <=$950k and him starting in the AHL.

Last edited:

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
I'm a little unsure whether I'd be more excited if the Wings started the season on a 5 game winning streak... or if Holland signed Cleary to some two-way deal.

I'd be able to make s'mores holding marshmellows next to the threads about that deal.

The people who already loathe Holland would be popping off like the 1%ers at the end of Kingsman.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I'm a little unsure whether I'd be more excited if the Wings started the season on a 5 game winning streak... or if Holland signed Cleary to some two-way deal.

I'd be able to make s'mores holding marshmellows next to the threads about that deal.

The people who already loathe Holland would be popping off like the 1%ers at the end of Kingsman.

Do you think that people would have no cause to be annoyed at Cleary being signed, even if it was for a sub-950k contract?

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
People would have zero cause to be annoyed.

Nothing against the cap or NHL roster... really don't see why anyone would care. Guys getting pushed to the ECHL as a result of the deal probably aren't ever making the NHL regardless.

Also, he'd probably be taking a veteran spot anyway based on my understanding of AHL roster rules... no harm done. That's a level his locker room presence may actually have a real positive impact... they don't have a Zetterberg or Kronwall.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Nothing against the cap or NHL roster... really don't see why anyone would care. Guys getting pushed to the ECHL as a result of the deal probably aren't ever making the NHL regardless.

Also, he'd probably be taking a veteran spot anyway based on my understanding of AHL roster rules... no harm done. That's a level his locker room presence may actually have a real positive impact... they don't have a Zetterberg or Kronwall.

No reason for him to take a roster spot from our big club or any of our affiliates. None. I mean just look at the writing on the wall, Dan. Our Wings roster is set. Our GR roster is overloaded, as it is. We don't need you, at all. He's just being selfish at this point.

If you love this franchise like you claim you do then get out of the way of those that are the future of it.

Last edited:

HockeyinHD

Jun 18, 2006
Do you think that people would have no cause to be annoyed at Cleary being signed, even if it was for a sub-950k contract?

There's annoyed, and there's the incandescent facerolling fury people would direct at Holland.

Annoyed? Sure. The reactions that would actually happen? No.

HockeyinHD

Jun 18, 2006
No reason for him to take a roster spot from our big club or any of our affiliates. None. I mean just look at the writing on the wall, Dan. Our roster is set. Our GR roster is overloaded, as it is. We don't need you, at all. He's just being selfish at this point.

If you love this franchise like you claim you do then get out of the way of those that are the future of it.

You tell 'em, Frk.

Make room for Tristan Grant, Jeff Hoggan and Alden Hirschfeld. You know, the guys who are the future of the Detroit Red Wings.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
You tell 'em, Frk.

Make room for Tristan Grant, Jeff Hoggan and Alden Hirschfeld. You know, the guys who are the future of the Detroit Red Wings.

Right, it's not like 75% of the team is 25 or younger.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
AHL has no roster limit and only allows you to dress six veterans. Those are the guys whose roster spots Cleary would be taking.

I didn't know that, but that is good news. Thanks.

I guess it doesn't hurt much at all then, but I really don't see why he wants to do that.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He wants to play high level hockey and get paid for it

If he thinks AHL hockey is worth it to further destroy his knees, and have to ride buses with 20-25 year olds, then sure go for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad