Claude Julien - What is the plan with our Roster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Too much character and winning attitude in that room, cancel each other out. You need more carefree *******s who leave it all on the ice and who may not have the best of reputations in the locker room.

“When it’s third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I’ll take the whisky drinkers every time” - Max McGee

Reactions: Runner77

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
As it stands right now it will be incredibly difficult for this team to make the playoffs. They have dug themselves a big hole. Losing 4 of the next 5 would pretty much solidify that they aren't going to be a playoff team. If MB is still around at that point, hopefully he is smart enough to start selling some players off.

It hurts to admit but the season is already over.

It's going to take a while for this team to climb back to even 0.500.

They need to go 0.650 to basically make the playoffs at this point.

Reactions: Uncle Gary

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
As it stands right now it will be incredibly difficult for this team to make the playoffs. They have dug themselves a big hole. Losing 4 of the next 5 would pretty much solidify that they aren't going to be a playoff team. If MB is still around at that point, hopefully he is smart enough to start selling some players off.

It's close to impossible. How many teams did the playoffs after having 4 points or less after 10 games. I bet there's not more than 2 maybe 3 teams. Life is not made of magic. If you have 4 points after 10 games there's a reason. It's not a small sample size.

Some people take our hot starts of the last 2 years to say hey 10 games is nothing the wind can change. But it's far easier to fall from high than the opposite. You can play over your head for 20-30 games like Vegas is right now. But nobody will purposely play crap for 10+ games. Playing like crap is not fun. Ch players have no fun right now. They want it to end. When you are in the bottom you want to get out of it the faster you can. If you can't then there's a reason for it. Playing over your head is fun. You don't want it to stop.

If our GM is good he'll do what needs to be done to be sure this team doesn't finish between 17th and 22th. The sooner he does it the better.

Reactions: Uncle Gary

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Yeah I understand that we don't have a good roster, even weaker than last years. But you can't deny that for the last 5 years we were always starting on fire... Don't worry I didn't forget about the historical collapse, but we also had like 2 histoical starting. Like we we're crazy good during a quarter of the season.

It was at least giving me hope during the beginning of the season and it was fun to watch. Now we're doomed and the season is not even 10 games in, its just plain boring. At least we had a little fun/run with MT. I kow its pretty low standard, but man in all my life I've never witness a Stanleycup, so you have to take what you can. And I personnaly feel that no mather what MT would have been better than what we see right now.

Well you can believe this if you want but again, Therrien never had such a terrible roster under him.
We were not fun to watch under Therrien, not sure how you thought the teams were entertaining. They played a rather boring blend of hockey. Talent was the only thing that could get some entertainment. Watching Price give crazy performances, or Subban and his passionate approach, they were the entertaining side, not Therrien's coaching. So take away the talent, give Therrien lesser players, and he would struggle to get anything going.

I am not suggesting CJ is going to put in an entertainment style of hockey, but he is a much better coach than Therrien, and the result we are getting now are not on the coach. This team is just very weak.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Right now, very disappointed in his system. Puck support is very weak and we give up the blue line way too easily.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
Well you can believe this if you want but again, Therrien never had such a terrible roster under him.
We were not fun to watch under Therrien, not sure how you thought the teams were entertaining. They played a rather boring blend of hockey. Talent was the only thing that could get some entertainment. Watching Price give crazy performances, or Subban and his passionate approach, they were the entertaining side, not Therrien's coaching. So take away the talent, give Therrien lesser players, and he would struggle to get anything going.

I am not suggesting CJ is going to put in an entertainment style of hockey, but he is a much better coach than Therrien, and the result we are getting now are not on the coach. This team is just very weak.

Nobody would ever accuse me of defending Therrien but do you really think this 2016-2017 roster is that much worse than some of the one Therrien had to work with?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Nobody would ever accuse me of defending Therrien but do you really think this 2016-2017 roster is that much worse than some of the one Therrien had to work with?

Absolutely.

Julien has nothing to work with on the back end. Markov, Subban, Beaulieu, Emelin, Petry, etc is a lot better than Weber, Mete, Alzner, Petry, etc.

We basically lost a number 2 D and replaced him with Mete.

Plekanec also regressed into a 3rd or 4th liner, Gallagher regressed into a 4th liner, theres a lot of bad players now.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Absolutely. As I said, we were discussing this during the off season. Now, I don't think we are as bad as our record indicates, we simply cannot buy a goal right now and had a tough schedule to start the year, but our roster has taken a hit from the ones Therrien had.
For pretty much his entire time here, Therrien had two centers he could use in the top 6. Not quite the ideal guys, and center was definitely not our strongest position to say the least, but Plekanec was still a reliable two way center who produced at a decent pace and DD also put his share of points up.
Last year was the first time Therrien really struggled with centers, mostly due to the big dip in Plekanec's game, which lead to the team struggling and him getting canned. He also benefited from having a top pairing on defense that he could really rely on with Subban/Weber-Markov.
This year, Julien has a winger that he is pretty much forced to use as a center, Plekanec has dropped his game even more, so we have pretty much no depth at center whatsoever. On the back end, we lost Markov, which is a significant loss.
This team was also always over-reliant on Price. Whenever this guy dipped, the team would lose.
Bergevin made the team worse and on top of it, Price is not playing well, so it's not surprising to see us struggle to get some wins.

The only thing I would fault Julien on is his usage of Galchenyuk. I cannot wrap my head around it.

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
Am I the only one utterly disappointed with Claude so far?

The list of dumb decisions he took since he was hired is getting longer and longer.

Another top signing from our beloved GM

Reactions: dralaf and TRG

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
Clode is not the problem, IMO. The roster has gone steadily downhill ever since Subban was traded. This last off-season in particular was a disaster.

Hes part of the problem too IMO.

He seems to be the old school type of coach which is unable to adapt to the new reality.

Galchenyuk on the 4th line during the playoff, was the first sign of his incompetence for me

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
Clode is here for at least another 2-3 years, so we better hope that his recents bouts of unbelievable stupidity are nothing more than passing fads or directives from the clown in the purple pants (the Galchy situation).

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Hes part of the problem too IMO.

He seems to be the old school type of coach which is unable to adapt to the new reality.

Galchenyuk on the 4th line during the playoff, was the first sign of his incompetence for me

Clode is pretty well liked by those in the analytics community and more progressive thinkers. Apart from his weird stance of having D square to the opponent in zone coverage, regardless of where they are on the ice, he's pretty good.

As for weird line-up decisions, name me a head coach and I'll give you crazy line-up decisions.

CJ is not the problem or even part of the problem.

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
Clode is pretty well liked by those in the analytics community and more progressive thinkers. Apart from his weird stance of having D square to the opponent in zone coverage, regardless of where they are on the ice, he's pretty good.

As for weird line-up decisions, name me a head coach and I'll give you crazy line-up decisions.

CJ is not the problem or even part of the problem.

Im sure he has many qualities as a coach but I still feel Claude is in the same line as MT.

When McCarron was sent down, they didnt gave him any explanations. I feel like communication is not a strong suit for Claude.

And nowadays with younger people you need more a therapist than a tough as nail type of coach

Reactions: dralaf

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Im sure he has many qualities as a coach but I still feel Claude is in the same line as MT.

When McCarron was sent down, they didnt gave him any explanations. I feel like communication is not a strong suit for Claude.

And nowadays with younger people you need more a therapist than a tough as nail type of coach

Huh? CJ's big strength is that he's a good communicator. Listen to guys like Babcock or Quenneville talk about him. Its not CJs job to communicate that to McCarron, that's on the player development staff and the assistants.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
I heard someone on the radio say Claude should have taken more time for to recharge. Obviously 5x5 is hard to turn down but he would still be getting paid this year.

I also wonder if he expected more from MB and thought he was taking over a team ripe to contend. He may have some regrets.

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
Huh? CJ's big strength is that he's a good communicator. Listen to guys like Babcock or Quenneville talk about him. Its not CJs job to communicate that to McCarron, that's on the player development staff and the assistants.

Ill take with a grain of salt what other coach says about our coach. Its a small fraternity, you will never hear a coach talk bad about another coach.

Claude really doesnt struck me as a good communicator. I went in the bruins forum and they seems to blame him about the same things we were blaming MT. Bad communicator, hard time with young players, tend to favors old vet(plekanec) instead of building younger player

Reactions: dralaf and TRG

FEFAN

Oct 19, 2017
Micronesia
Clode has no players to work with. Clode defensive system is to pressure the puck, collapse to the crease and keep the shots to the outside. All his defencemen are too slow, by that, I mean, small space slowness, they can't puck pressure, can't defend the slot, can't get into passing lanes. As for the offence, we lead the league in shots, yet are worst in the league for scoring percentage and next to last in total goals for. This means that the offence plays like the defence system of Clode, keep the shots to the outside, don't crash the net, too small or too slow to get rebounds. PP and PK are 27th and 28th in the league. Even with God behind the bench, the team would still suck. This is a construction problem, too slow on D and too small and talentless on O, 100% on Bergevin. He just doesn't have the horses to play his style. My only critique is he seems reluctant to change his style of play to adapt to what he has. Clode doesn't have much, but the coaching should change. So, 90% the blame on Bergevin and players, 10% on the coaching staff.The coaches are actually the only strength of this team.

Reactions: habtastic

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Ill take with a grain of salt what other coach says about our coach. Its a small fraternity, you will never hear a coach talk bad about another coach.

Claude really doesnt struck me as a good communicator. I went in the bruins forum and they seems to blame him about the same things we were blaming MT. Bad communicator, hard time with young players, tend to favors old vet(plekanec) instead of building younger player

That describes every coach though, unless you don't give him the vet options or give him truly elite talent.

Babcock has been playing Marner on the 4th line this year too.

Plekanec is Montreal's 3rd most used C. He's been giving serious minutes to Drouin, Danault, Lehkonen, etc. He's certainly not flawless (no coach is), but a lot of those complaints ring pretty hollow. Even the best coach can only polish a turd, they can't turn it into a diamond.

And honestly, if your taking what coaches say of him with a grain of salt, you better be taking what forum posters say about him with a mound of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad