Claude Giroux vs Vincent Lecavalier

Who would you insert into your organization, 20yr Giroux or 20yr Lecavalier ?

• Claude Giroux

• Vincent Lecavalier

Results are only viewable after voting.

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
With recent news it got me thinking back to days of Vinny Lecavalier, and how effective he was.

My question fellow hockey fans is, who would you add to your current team; 20 year old Giroux or 20 year old Lecavalier?

Keep in mind each players peak and prime and bring that into your decision.
Also yes Vinny has the size and goalscoring ability, but Giroux never played with a player like Martin St. Louis (Congratulations on your new job Mr St. Louis )

Claude Giroux averages from age 20 to 30
Goals per game: .28
Assists per game: .64
Points per game: .93

Vincent Lecavalier averages from age 20 to 30
Goals per game: .40
Assists per game: .49
Points per game: .90

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Here's how they compare.

Claude Giroux

Point finishes: 2, 3, 3, 10
PPG: 2, 6, 7
Hart finishes: 3, 4, 4, 16
Selke: 14, 16, 19, 25, 28, 38

Vincent Lecavelier

Point finishes: 3, 6
PPG: 4
Goal: 1, 9
Gpg: 1, 10
Selke finishes: 41
Hart: 4, 17

At their peak (best single season) I think you can make an argument for Lecavelier. He was the far better goal scorer and brought a physical element that Giroux didn't.

But Giroux is still the better Point producer and seems to be the better defensive player.

Prime though? It's clearly Giroux. Lecavelier never had a season close to the level of his rocket richard win. Giroux has been top 3 in points 3 times and in each of those seasons he was a Hart finalist or close to it.

I think I'll give this one to Giroux.

Lemonlimey

Apr 1, 2014
Crestone
Good poll. Feels like Lecavelier, but he also had more hype in his draft. When you say to keep in mind “peak and prime”, I’m not sure the distinction. Is it accurate Giroux’s been more durable?

ThatsSoSlavin

Aug 23, 2018
Good poll. Feels like Lecavelier, but he also had more hype in his draft. When you say to keep in mind “peak and prime”, I’m not sure the distinction. Is it accurate Giroux’s been more durable?
Even keeping in mind vinnys peak I’d still take G imo

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I voted for Lecavalier. I think people forget that he played a lot of his best years when the NHL had soccer scores.

Reactions: Felidae

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
If it's one year or peak you take Vinny. If it's career you take Giroux. I don't see any room for debate here.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
I voted for Lecavalier. I think people forget that he played a lot of his best years when the NHL had soccer scores.

The average goal per game in the NHL during LeCavalier's career was 2.76. For Giroux's career it is 2.85. Just over 7 extra goals per team per season, hardly a gulf.

Last edited:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Lecavalier's best season was 06/07 during which season scoring was the fifth highest of the last 25 years.
Yes, but that's still ignoring seven seasons before that and most forwards peak around 21-23 offensively. There's no question he played his healthiest seasons in a low-scoring NHL.

Giroux played through the second DPE and was only averaging about 71 points per season. We forget about that because scoring spiked again and Giroux, to his credit, had more longevity.

It's close and I see the case for Giroux, but I think it's a poor characterization of Lecavalier's career to say he had one great season.

Reactions: Felidae

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2