Not open for further replies.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Stumbled across this while looking for something else:

4v5, 2010-11 to present (300+ mins played):

Shot Haro: 51.1 (2nd to Bergeron)
Shot Hard: 24.5 (4th behind Henrique, Elias and Eller)
Shot Hart: 37.8 (1st, Bergeron 2nd with 31.8)
SF%: 0.241 (1st, Bergeron 2nd)

Fenwick Haro: 60.7 (1st, Bergeron 3rd)
Fenwick Hard: 19.2 (8th)
Fenwick Hart: 40.0 (1st, Henrique 2nd at 33.5)
FF%: 0.233 (1st, Bergeron 3rd)

CF20: 7.282 (2nd)
CA20: 26.93 (4th)
CF%: 0.213 (1st, Grabner 2nd with 1.96)
Corsi Haro: 63.7% (2nd)
Corsi Hard: 18.2% (6th)
Corsi Hart: 40.9 (1st, Henrique 2nd with 29.8)

All of the possession measures use similar base data ofc, so no surprise he is high on all of them, as being high on one usually means you will be overall.

But while the fact he is such a possession beast on PK is impressive on its own, though not unexpected... the margin that he leads by is pretty absurd. Couturier is really high up on the defensive side of PKing in these stats, like top 10 in pretty much all over the last 4 combined years, and in 2013-14 he is right at the top in most rankings combining offence and defence.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/glossary.php

King Forsberg

16 21 28 44 68 88 93
Jul 26, 2010
So judging from those stats, Giroux,
A. Has a shot at the Hart,
B. Has a hard shot, and
C. Rides a Haro brand bike.

That's a triple play of A+ captain material if you ask me.

PhillyFlying

F1eyrS
Sep 15, 2010
Philadelphia
Stumbled across this while looking for something else:

4v5, 2010-11 to present (300+ mins played):

Shot Haro: 51.1 (2nd to Bergeron)
Shot Hard: 24.5 (4th behind Henrique, Elias and Eller)
Shot Hart: 37.8 (1st, Bergeron 2nd with 31.8)
SF%: 0.241 (1st, Bergeron 2nd)

Fenwick Haro: 60.7 (1st, Bergeron 3rd)
Fenwick Hard: 19.2 (8th)
Fenwick Hart: 40.0 (1st, Henrique 2nd at 33.5)
FF%: 0.233 (1st, Bergeron 3rd)

CF20: 7.282 (2nd)
CA20: 26.93 (4th)
CF%: 0.213 (1st, Grabner 2nd with 1.96)
Corsi Haro: 63.7% (2nd)
Corsi Hard: 18.2% (6th)
Corsi Hart: 40.9 (1st, Henrique 2nd with 29.8)

All of the possession measures use similar base data ofc, so no surprise he is high on all of them, as being high on one usually means you will be overall.

But while the fact he is such a possession beast on PK is impressive on its own, though not unexpected... the margin that he leads by is pretty absurd. Couturier is really high up on the defensive side of PKing in these stats, like top 10 in pretty much all over the last 4 combined years, and in 2013-14 he is right at the top in most rankings combining offence and defence.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/glossary.php

it's a minor shame the flyers PK did so well last year without much of the clode; wish we could see more of him out there though clearly we don't need to. he's a beast shorthanded.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It is kind of conceited for a guy who's only had one good year to pick himself as a franchise player. :sarcasm:

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011

People will scoff at G for his answer, but it's the same as any pro sport, you need a certain high level of confidence that's what carries them through the trials and tribulations of becoming a pro, when you see G out there playing you can see his determination, body language, emotion and effort, not discrediting Crosby or Toews, but you can't see look on either of their faces when it's go time, their leadership roles are different from G's, Crosby is a generational talent and he does work very hard a lot of his hockey skill comes natural though, Toews is amazingly clutch, he wins everywhere he goes and his leadership comes natural, obviously being named captain at 20, he too doesn't share those looks G has out there, to me Claude has had to work harder to acheive what he has at an elite level in the NHL, he has that Bobby Clarke "I hate losing more than I like winning" disposition, so to me (and yes I could be bias but I am trying to keep an even keel here) him picking himself to be the franchise player I 100% get why and understand it

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
People will scoff at G for his answer, but it's the same as any pro sport, you need a certain high level of confidence that's what carries them through the trials and tribulations of becoming a pro, when you see G out there playing you can see his determination, body language, emotion and effort, not discrediting Crosby or Toews, but you can't see look on either of their faces when it's go time, their leadership roles are different from G's, Crosby is a generational talent and he does work very hard a lot of his hockey skill comes natural though, Toews is amazingly clutch, he wins everywhere he goes and his leadership comes natural, obviously being named captain at 20, he too doesn't share those looks G has out there, to me Claude has had to work harder to acheive what he has at an elite level in the NHL, he has that Bobby Clarke "I hate losing more than I like winning" disposition, so to me (and yes I could be bias but I am trying to keep an even keel here) him picking himself to be the franchise player I 100% get why and understand it

Totally. I watch everything Giroux does very intently and his leadership is visible. Remember when he started designing a play during a timeout for his team? I've seen a lot of hockey and I've watched a lot of captains, but I've never seen someone who's such a visible leader.

Giroux has so many moments when he has taken over a game and made sure the Flyers would win. He has such an awesome swagger to his game and he's such an intense and fun player to watch. I almost enjoy seeing how mad he gets when we lose too. He was SO pissed when the Flyers were playing poorly against the Devils in 2012.

somad.gif

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
Not that I disagree about the Devils, but isn't that gif from when we were having trouble closing out the Pens?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Totally. I watch everything Giroux does very intently and his leadership is visible. Remember when he started designing a play during a timeout for his team? I've seen a lot of hockey and I've watched a lot of captains, but I've never seen someone who's such a visible leader.

Giroux has so many moments when he has taken over a game and made sure the Flyers would win. He has such an awesome swagger to his game and he's such an intense and fun player to watch. I almost enjoy seeing how mad he gets when we lose too. He was SO pissed when the Flyers were playing poorly against the Devils in 2012.

somad.gif

I distinctly remember him using a brief break before an O zone faceoff to set up a play with JVR that led to a quick goal. That was neat.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
Not that I disagree about the Devils, but isn't that gif from when we were having trouble closing out the Pens?

I was pretty sure that was after a disappointing loss to the Devils after they scored an empty net goal. I don't think the Pens ever pushed us to having to pull the goalie but I could be wrong.

He was really frustrated that whole Devils series, probably because he had just gotten his wrists broken from Crosby and then he felt he wasn't getting calls in his favor (which led to his shoulder to the head penalty that suspended him for game 5)

maybe someone else remembers better when he smashed his stick over the crossbar

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
It was game five of the series vs the Pens when that happened.

I remember this year he snapped his stick on the bench vs Edmonton before he broke his goal drought.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
It was game five of the series vs the Pens when that happened.

I remember this year he snapped his stick on the bench vs Edmonton before he broke his goal drought.

Oh man, I was at that Edmonton game. It was the first game I'd gone to since Giroux scored the OT GWG in Game 3 of the 2010 Stanley Cup Finals (feels good every time I type that).

When he started that rush up the ice, I started to rise out of my seat because I could feel he was going to score. The place EXPLODED and he rode out the GOAT celly, stick raised and gliding into the boards.

6a0168e5984207970c019b00deae53970c-pi

Powderchuk

Aug 15, 2014
Oh man, I was at that Edmonton game. It was the first game I'd gone to since Giroux scored the OT GWG in Game 3 of the 2010 Stanley Cup Finals (feels good every time I type that).

When he started that rush up the ice, I started to rise out of my seat because I could feel he was going to score. The place EXPLODED and he rode out the GOAT celly, stick raised and gliding into the boards.

6a0168e5984207970c019b00deae53970c-pi

I think we all did, Dubnyk was in net

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
This decade:

96G-214A-310P in 294 GP

4 pts clear of St. Louis
18 pts clear of Stamkos
19 pts clear of Ovechkin
27 pts clear of Perry
27 pts clear of Kessel
34 pts clear of H. Sedin
35 pts clear of Getzlaf
38 pts clear of Crosby
40 pts clear of Tavares
41 pts clear of Thornton
44 pts clear of Kane
45 pts clear of D. Sedin
47 pts clear of Kopitar
48 pts clear of E. Staal

no-one else within 50 pts.

Looking pretty good for leading the NHL in points from 2010-11 to 2014-15, a half decade.

Only one player in NHL history has led for a half-decade and is not a HoFer.

Markus Naslund.

Pretty irrelevant and bizarre, (though people bring up 'decade leaders') but I think it is pretty cool to lead the best league in the world in points for 5 cumulative seasons. Heres hoping he can keep the lead.

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
Reading now. I know that you have defended him in the past, especially against the ardent Tavares nut-huggers, so I'm looking forward to reading this analysis of Giroux.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Nice article!

By the end of this season he should have (fingers crossed) also made some seeeeeerious dents in the Flyers record books as well:

He is now:

• 27th all time in Goals (123) assuming he gets his last 4 year average of 27 on the year he will have 146 to end the year. 19th all time.
  • Tied 15th all time in Assists (272). Assuming he produces at the rate he has over the last 4 (59 a year) he will have 317 to end the season. 10th all time.
  • 19th all time in Points (395). Assuming he produces at the rate he has over the last 4 (86 a year) he will have 463 to end the season. 15th all time.
  • 13th all time in playoff goals. (23) 4 goals off 10th all time. (Brind'Amour) 9 off 9th all time. (Gagne)
  • 8th all time in playoff assists. (38) 4 off 6th all time. (Linseman) 7 off 5th all time. (Howe)
  • 9th all time in playoff points. (61) 8 off 8th. (Leach) 9 off 7th (Kerr). 11 off 6th (Briere) and 13 off 5th (LeClair).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad