Classic Wrestling Discussion (as in non-current): Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I actually liked them as a kid. Later on I was pretty surprised to read about the Sheepherders. Weren't they pretty hardcore as the latter?

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
I actually liked them as a kid. Later on I was pretty surprised to read about the Sheepherders. Weren't they pretty hardcore as the latter?
Yeah, they were a very blood and bawl team before going to WWF, which really wasn't going to happen there. But they were also old at that point. Both guys were already their 40s when they signed, so they were going to have to change anyway.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Yeah, they were a very blood and bawl team before going to WWF, which really wasn't going to happen there. But they were also old at that point. Both guys were already their 40s when they signed, so they were going to have to change anyway.

Their promotions list ist pretty long:

Promotions ACW
AJPW
APW
APWF 2000
AWA
Can-Am
CWA
CWA
CWF
ECCW
ECW
ECWA
EWF
GCW
HOW
ICW/IWCCW
IWA
Lutte 2000
MACW
MCW
MEWF
MSW/UWF
NAWF
NJPW
NSWA
NWA
PNW
PWA
UCW
USA
USA Pro Wrestling
USWA
USWL
Stampede
SCW
SECW
SWCW
SWS
Tope Rope/WSWF/WXW
Vancouver All-Star Wrestling
WCCW
WWA
WWC
WWF/E
WWWA

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Yeah, lots guys from their era have lists like that. There were many large regional promotions all over america that they'd work. They'd have a run in one place, then go to the next and do the same thing again. Even more so for these guys who worked Japan and Australia and New Zealand too.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I got the WWE Network a month ago and was binging on the documentaries.

Watching the Hart Foundation documentary and then immediately watching the Canadian Stampede PPV.....that was a punch right in the gut.....seeing the Bulldog come out with his wife (who was very emotional and sad in the documentary), and she is fighting like hell to keep from ugly crying on international TV because you know her heart is literally bursting with pride....and you know how things would go after that night.....absolutely gut wrenching stuff.

That Canada/USA fued was what really got me into wrestling back then.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
I got the WWE Network a month ago and was binging on the documentaries.

Watching the Hart Foundation documentary and then immediately watching the Canadian Stampede PPV.....that was a punch right in the gut.....seeing the Bulldog come out with his wife (who was very emotional and sad in the documentary), and she is fighting like hell to keep from ugly crying on international TV because you know her heart is literally bursting with pride....and you know how things would go after that night.....absolutely gut wrenching stuff.

That Canada/USA fued was what really got me into wrestling back then.

For me the worst part about re-watching that event is that's likely the last time that family was together like that and happy. As well as the shot of Owen holding Oje. That's heartbreaking for sure.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I have to say that as much as I never liked Savage and find him overrated, that was pretty amazing. No wonder I bought it as a kid. Still, he really seemed to throw Elizabeth out of the frame there. Anyway, great work by all parties involved with that.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I have to say that as much as I never liked Savage and find him overrated, that was pretty amazing. No wonder I bought it as a kid. Still, he really seemed to throw Elizabeth out of the frame there. Anyway, great work by all parties involved with that.

Dang, really? I was always a big Macho Man fan, much moreso than Hogan.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

I never was the biggest Macho Man fan but I liked him better then Hogan by default. lol

Probably says alot about me but my favs were always the bad guys who could give good promos(although for the sake of argument I liked the Ultimate Warrior. lol).

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I never was the biggest Macho Man fan but I liked him better then Hogan by default. lol

Probably says alot about me but my favs were always the bad guys who could give good promos(although for the sake of argument I liked the Ultimate Warrior. lol).

I always gravitated towards the heels too, but enjoyed Macho Man and some other faces. I actually always hated the Ultimate Warrior! Rick Rude and Million Dollar Man were pretty much my faves back in the childhood days. Come to thank of it I probably hate the Warrior because of his Rick Rude feud.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I always gravitated towards the heels too, but enjoyed Macho Man and some other faces. I actually always hated the Ultimate Warrior! Rick Rude and Million Dollar Man were pretty much my faves back in the childhood days. Come to thank of it I probably hate the Warrior because of his Rick Rude feud.

I know people knock Warriors promo skills, but I loved his crazy high energy promos(although half the time you couldn't understand them). I also loved his ring entrance

My favorites though were Piper and Heenan. Come to think of it I think I always been more a fan of the wrestling promo then the actual wrestling. lol

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin

I was just a kid and I was the target audience for other guys. I suppose it's like kids with Cena in more recent times. Even when I was older though I didn't like him and never have. Back then I would say I liked the British Bulldogs better than anyone else.

Heels just never appealed to me much. I never liked the concept of cheating or the bad guy winning with a chair. Even as I was older I never understood why they had to always have the heels have such an advantage. With the NWO they already had the numbers and yet they still turned Hennig heel for example, which IMO did his career no favors.

Now though some of my favorite all-time guys are heels or are at least known more for being heels.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Another forgotten guy: The Skinner

I remember a good match vs Bret Hart. This guy had talent. What do you think?

I only found out like 10 years after the fact that this guy was part of the tag team the Fabulous Ones

Give it to Vince to turn a pretty boy into a tobacco chewing redneck

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I remember that Skinner gimmick. Not the best portrayal for anyone. Then again a fair bit of early 90's WWF was the same.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
He also filled in as “doink” for a time. I also remember him in some brief tag team in WCW (post skinner) with beautiful bobby.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Who played this game? I did and at i still have somewhere the copy of it.

I only ever played that game when I went to a local swimming pool that happened to have the arcade edition f that game nearby. I enjoyed the old WWF games though. I still ave a copy of LJN's WWF Royal Rumble for SNES. WWF Raw was a game that I used to rent as well, as it had the DDT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad