Classic Rod Phillips calls

MuzikMachine

Nov 14, 2005
During the Oilers playoff run 2 yrs ago, there were a couple times where the games went into OT the Oilers won, so I'd quickly go to 630ched.com and listen the Rod's call of the OT winner. It was the only time when a couple min delay actually came in handy. :)

They weren't necessarily classic calls, but good calls none-the-less.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Felt like making a thread bump....last night at the game, they aired CHED's coverage of Hemsky's first goal during the intermission. Michaels was yammering on about Turris...TURRIS!...and all of the sudden, he realized that Hemsky had scored a beauty and went on another nasally rant.

Makes me miss Rod even more. :(

dsi

Sep 13, 2005
Ottawa
I kind of remember Gretzky's OT goal against Calgary called by Rod in 1988 playoffs, because my sister had it on tape at one time. It went something like this:

"Here's Gretzky, he may have a break... Suter may catch up to him. Gretzky... shoots! SCOOORRREESSSSSS!!!! WAYNE GRETZKY! IN SUDDEN DEATH OVERTIME!!"

Reactions: oilers'72

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
"He just ate up Robyn Regehr for dinner, a spectacular play by Hemsky, and Robyn Regehr has got doo doo all over his face"

This is one of the best ever.

I also loved how Phillips would call fights. One particular fight would have been in the late 90's/early 2000 where Laraque fought Sami Hulenius. I was driving home from work with my Dad, catching the tail end of the game on the radio. 5 minutes from home, that mismatch of a fight breaks out and Rod goes into hyperdrive, "Laraque stings him with a right! Oh, another devastating right. How is this man still standing?" Suddenly we're flying at about 160 to try and get home in time to see the replay/aftermath. That is the excitement Rod could bring to the game with words.

Curious if anyone heard his call for the game against the Thrashers when the line brawl erupted and Mike Bishai was fighting from inside the Thrashers bench? I was at the game so I never got a chance to hear it, but I'm assuming he went into hyperventilation mode:nod:

dsi

Sep 13, 2005
Ottawa
This is one of the best ever.

I also loved how Phillips would call fights. One particular fight would have been in the late 90's/early 2000 where Laraque fought Sami Hulenius. I was driving home from work with my Dad, catching the tail end of the game on the radio. 5 minutes from home, that mismatch of a fight breaks out and Rod goes into hyperdrive, "Laraque stings him with a right! Oh, another devastating right. How is this man still standing?" Suddenly we're flying at about 160 to try and get home in time to see the replay/aftermath. That is the excitement Rod could bring to the game with words.

Curious if anyone heard his call for the game against the Thrashers when the line brawl erupted and Mike Bishai was fighting from inside the Thrashers bench? I was at the game so I never got a chance to hear it, but I'm assuming he went into hyperventilation mode:nod:

The call by Rod on that night in Buffalo where Laraque destroyed Rob Ray ('98-'99) to establish himself among the top heavyweights was classic. It was so epic that the next day on 630 CHED they decided to call up Big Georges so that he could hear it. You could hear him giggling like a schoolchild in the background as it played over on the radio :laugh:

BG then said "I've heard Rod call games before, but I didn't know he was THAT good!"

Reactions: RattsSSV

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Rod was particularly jacked when Brewer scored the OT winner against the Lightning in 2001 to extend the Oilers win streak to 9...I remember him saying "god I love hockey!"

there was nobody like Rod

Jack Michaels is awful...sounds like he's calling a roller derby game

Reactions: oilers'72

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
The one I'll never forget was in like 1983-1984 the oilers were playing an afternoon game in hartford they were getting thumped and said to quite listening because it was an embarrassment and a waste of time the oilers ended up losing 11-0 I don't remember exactly what he said but it was pretty funny anyone else remember this broadcast?
Something along the lines of "I'm getting sick of that song", referring to "Brass Bonanza".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad