Classic Rod Phillips calls

RuneMcEres

Seasons in the Abyss
Oct 24, 2006
Bergen, Norway
I sat around watching the Ultimate Gretzky DVD just moments ago, and became quite emotional after a while. As I remember, good old Rod Phillips cracked up a bit as well when naming Wayne "first star" in the ceremony prior to the game. However, that's not on the DVD.

Does anyone have this as an audio file, or do you have other classic Rod Phillips calls locked away somewhere on your HDs?

It would be really nice if someone could share some of them. I never tire of listening to Rod, even though he gets a few names wrong nowadays.

Oil

Nov 6, 2005
Texas, USA
www.myspace.com
Great thread! being a guy who only discovered the majick of the Oilers in the 1997-'98 season & also being a non-Albertan (I'm an Aussie living in Texas) I never grew up with the awesome Rod Phillips calls to help cherish classic Oiler moments. I've heard some GREAT ones in my time as a fan over the last 10 years from him, but going back into the vaults there's gotta be some absolutely GOLD calls.

I for two would love to hear them!

Rin

Mar 28, 2006
Northern Alberta
My fave was from that Dallas game, when Stefan lost the puck then Hemsky scores and Rod was like

"AND STEFAN REALLY LOST THE GAME FOR THE STARS!....WELL, HE DIDN'T LOSE IT...BUT HE HAD AN EMPTY NET AND HE FUMBLES IT!!!"

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Every game I remembered listening to on the radio was always staticky, so we'd hear "Messier coming down the wing, passes to OHHHHHH SLARF A NARF BARF A TRARF TSSSSK AHHHHH I'VE NEVER HARBLE TRARBLE OH! OH BOY! WHAT A ZIBBLE PLOOF" after which Morley Scott would give the English translation.

Man, nothing could feel better than the "Opening Christmas Presents" jolt that you felt while listening to a game-winning overtime goal called by Rod Phillips.

I know a lot of people who tape-recorded Oilers radio broadcasts back in the 80's. Perhaps one of them on here would love you enough to make you a mix tape! :naughty:

Reactions: oilers'72

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
I remember a good one when Salo was our goalie, and Reasoner a player for us.

"Reasoner comes in....shoots....nice save by Salo!"

I guess Marty felt Salo didn't get enough warm up hehe.

dsi

Sep 13, 2005
Ottawa
Every game I remembered listening to on the radio was always staticky, so we'd hear "Messier coming down the wing, passes to OHHHHHH SLARF A NARF BARF A TRARF TSSSSK AHHHHH I'VE NEVER HARBLE TRARBLE OH! OH BOY! WHAT A ZIBBLE PLOOF" after which Morley Scott would give the English translation.

Man, nothing could feel better than the "Opening Christmas Presents" jolt that you felt while listening to a game-winning overtime goal called by Rod Phillips.

I know a lot of people who tape-recorded Oilers radio broadcasts back in the 80's. Perhaps one of them on here would love you enough to make you a mix tape! :naughty:

Oh yeah... in 1999, 630 CHED had a series of broadcasts where each day they would talk about a certain year's Cup run for one hour. I had them recorded onto a few cassette tapes. However, I lost one of the tapes while moving .. or actually my friend (Sens fan) chucked it in some other box and I can't find it now. :shakehead:

I'll try to convert them to MP3 sometime in the future.

One of my favourites is the one he called when Gretzky scored on Vernon in the playoffs in OT shorthanded. And another was the Marchant goal!

ekcut

The Refs shot JFK.
Jul 25, 2007
Edmonton
My fav was 2 seasons ago when Hemsky undresses I think Carle of the Sharks with a minute to go to pull ahead. "Hemsky in across the line <hemmer undresses Carle> HOPPING IN ALONE <as Rods voice cracks> HE SCORES!!!!!!!!!" <home crowd goes nuts almost drowning out a screaming Rod>

I created that into a ringtone on my Razr.

Oilerz

May 10, 2005
River City. E-Town
My fav was 2 seasons ago when Hemsky undresses I think Carle of the Sharks with a minute to go to pull ahead. "Hemsky in across the line <hemmer undresses Carle> HOPPING IN ALONE <as Rods voice cracks> HE SCORES!!!!!!!!!" <home crowd goes nuts almost drowning out a screaming Rod>

POST!! POST!!

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I sat around watching the Ultimate Gretzky DVD just moments ago, and became quite emotional after a while. As I remember, good old Rod Phillips cracked up a bit as well when naming Wayne "first star" in the ceremony prior to the game. However, that's not on the DVD.

Does anyone have this as an audio file, or do you have other classic Rod Phillips calls locked away somewhere on your HDs?

It would be really nice if someone could share some of them. I never tire of listening to Rod, even though he gets a few names wrong nowadays.

I believe this is the Gretzky retirement clip you're looking for:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-2s5bcU0XcI

If that one makes you sad ... this one will probably pick up your spirits

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-2s5bcU0XcI

Last edited:

Jarret Stoll

Feb 15, 2007
''Grier coming in WRAP AROUND save by johnsson, its loose shoots SCORES eric brewer has won it for the edmonton oilers, the oilers have won their 9th straight game, you want drama this is drama!

one of the most heart jumping calls I heard if you heard it you would too.

jsho

Feb 3, 2007
Oil Country
Spring 1997. Marchants ot goal. First real memory of him announcing, and I still remember the exact call and where I was. Will probably remain my favorite call of all time.

ibis284

Oct 13, 2006
Gretzky slapshot over Vernons shoulder from the circle in OT game 2 in Calgary 1988. the year Calgary was supposed to blow us out and we swept them.
I thought Rod was going to fall out the box
I have it on tape somewhere

McOilers4cup

Finally
Jul 14, 2007
High Hopes
The one I'll never forget was in like 1983-1984 the oilers were playing an afternoon game in hartford they were getting thumped and said to quite listening because it was an embarrassment and a waste of time the oilers ended up losing 11-0 I don't remember exactly what he said but it was pretty funny anyone else remember this broadcast?

The Perfect Human*

hahaha I did the same as well. Except I don't have a RAZR. It's awkward when it starts to ring on the bus, and everyone's looking for the guy who's playing his Walkman too loud; but then it's just me with my cell phone.

The Perfect Human*

But you know what, referring back to the title of the thread, it'd be really cool if some of the older fans could post some of the old Rod calls for us younger kids.

I personally started watching in 1997, so I remember vividly the Marchant goal, the Brewer goal mentioned earlier, and essentially every major goal scored for us in the past ten years. But I want to hear some of those Gretzky calls.

I'd suggest making a Sticky thread just for old media from the Glory days. You guys don't realize it, but these are the last few remnants we have of those days. Other than the stuff CBC won't ever go digging into their records to look for. It'd be cool if we could start a kind of online library for it. Just for the kids I guess.

Wadewilson

Jun 27, 2006
Canada
hahaha I did the same as well. Except I don't have a RAZR. It's awkward when it starts to ring on the bus, and everyone's looking for the guy who's playing his Walkman too loud; but then it's just me with my cell phone.

I would love that for my ringtone... but I dont know hwo to do it :(

cheesed-off*

Peeeter Kleeeemaaaaaaa!!!!

With 4:47 left to go in the third overtime !!

Peter Klima has won it for the Edmonton Oilers.

Column5

Sep 17, 2006
Road 2 6
It was maybe the first time I ever listened to an Oiler's game on the car radio.....in 1979. Gretz lays one on the tape of Semenko's stick, and he's in on the breakaway. Philip's call went something like this:

"....and Gretzky sends one up the middle; it's Semenko, he's in alone......shoots from the blueline!!!!......WHAT A BONEHEADED PLAY!!!!!"

My Pa and I were laughing so hard, he almost put the car in the ditch.

Rin

Mar 28, 2006
Northern Alberta

It is still better than when my cell rings. I have my ringer volume on so high you can hear it a few rooms down, and it is 'Do your ear hang low' The looks I get when I pull my phone out are great. Then of course, the song gets stuck in everyone's head. I was in line at Harvey's at the airport once and it rang, and I could swear as I was eating my breakfast I could hear people humming it everywhere.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Back in the early 90's (also known as the "Dark Years", you know the one when Klima led the team in scoring with 48 pts)...the Oilers were getting killed by the 'nucks (I believe) and Rod spits out "another pathetic display by the Oilers"...he had clearly had enough of the losing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad