Confirmed with Link: Claesson signs (1yr 2way $700k/$100k)

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Nice little bump in pay for him, if he doesnt crack the team .He has been a good soldier for us either way :handclap:

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Assuming we don't sign anymore Dmen (besides Ceci obviously), I think Claesson makes the team out of camp, even if Chabot earns his 9 games. Then we can carry 8 D men and experiment with the bottom pairing, figure out something that works.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Very pleased with this

I thought he looked solid in his call up

Yes he made some big mistakes but that's part of the process

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Assuming we don't sign anymore Dmen (besides Ceci obviously), I think Claesson makes the team out of camp, even if Chabot earns his 9 games. Then we can carry 8 D men and experiment with the bottom pairing, figure out something that works.
Makes sense ,at least we wont be doing this in the top 4 anymore thank god

fringie

May 20, 2013
Kanata
I think he should be the 7th D-man, even if we can get another veteran D on the roster through FA, so we can push Boro further down the lineup.

assuming Ceci will get a deal done before camp, this seems like a decent D-core.

Methot-EK
Phaneuf-Ceci
UFA/(or unlikely, but possibly Chabot)-Wideman
Claesson
Boro

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

I don't see this team carrying 8 defencemen at any point in the season unless they are forced to for waivers purposes or out of some other contractual obligation.

Aside from that: great contract for the Sens. Glad to see Claesson is willing to stick it out another year. Hopefully he can at the very least convince the org that he's good enough to overtake Boro on the organizational depth chart. Hope he gets an honest chance.

Senateurs

Let's win it all
Feb 28, 2007
I looked way more comfortable in his second call up with the team. Good for him.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I was 99% sure that he would go to the SHL.

Why?

He came over early rather than develop in the SEL/SHL. Playing at home likely isn't a big concern for him.

He's won hardest worker in one of the Sens camps and he's received lots of AHL playing time, so developmental opportunities and feedback probably aren't an issue.

As far as logjams and NHL opportunities are concerned, he's seen Wiercioch and Cowen jettisoned from the organization, so his prospects at the NHL have never been better.

He's only 23. Some prospects don't even come over to the AHL until that age, so I doubt he's impatient.

Further, he's seen older prospects like Wideman stay with the organization because of mutual loyalty.

It isn't like Ottawa hasn't been fair to him, he's gotten games, there has just been a backlog.

If anything, I would have been shocked had he left this year given the opportunities available.

Nosswor

Jun 24, 2016
Why?

He came over early rather than develop in the SEL/SHL. Playing at home likely isn't a big concern for him.

He's won hardest worker in one of the Sens camps and he's received lots of AHL playing time, so developmental opportunities and feedback probably aren't an issue.

As far as logjams and NHL opportunities are concerned, he's seen Wiercioch and Cowen jettisoned from the organization, so his prospects at the NHL have never been better.

He's only 23. Some prospects don't even come over to the AHL until that age, so I doubt he's impatient.

Further, he's seen older prospects like Wideman stay with the organization because of mutual loyalty.

It isn't like Ottawa hasn't been fair to him, he's gotten games, there has just been a backlog.

If anything, I would have been shocked had he left this year given the opportunities available.
He's had an awful lot of patience to stay in Bingo this long, whilst not having call-ups when arguably he was actually playing better. I've thought the Sens have been too slow bringing up him in the past.

Let's face it, not sure that Binghamton is a place that many of us would want to live for five years.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
He's had an awful lot of patience to stay in Bingo this long, whilst not having call-ups when arguably he was actually playing better. I've thought the Sens have been too slow bringing up him in the past.

Let's face it, not sure that Binghamton is a place that many of us would want to live for five years.

Where are you getting that from? I'm not saying it is incorrect, it is just that I haven't seen much in the way of scouting reports or coach's comments. He was alright in training camp, but I didn't notice anything particular either.

I remember his breakout year in 13-14 and paying attention then, but that was two years ago and I haven't heard much since. If the guy was a standout every game I assume he would have forced himself on the roster given how inconsistent Boro, Cowen, and Wier were/are.

I guess at a certain point a guy has learned all he has from the AHL like Gryba and Boro, but it would be nice to hear something from the team that they expect him to be fighting for a spot rather than earning it by simply sticking around long enough to "deserve" it.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Why do people think he's better then Boro? Because he's Swedish? Boro out played him in the ahl and tbh claessan didn't look so hot in the NHL this past season. Boro played ahead of claessan in the ahl because he was better and more reliable. I don't think either of them are that good but I'm not as certain as some of you seem to be that he's better then boro. I'm not saying it's not close between Boro and claessan but I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't a viable alternative

Last edited:

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Why?

There was a rumor from some Swedish posters that if he didn't make the NHL this year he intended to sign in sweden. The obvious answer would be money. He's make more in the SHL then the ahl

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Claesson, at the NHL level, was better than Boro has ever been at the NHL level.

If dropping Boro nilly willy and going with Claesson was an option I'd be 110% in favour.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Claesson, at the NHL level, was better than Boro has ever been at the NHL level.

If dropping Boro nilly willy and going with Claesson was an option I'd be 110% in favour.

I'm actually going to disagree or say that we have to see more. I thought in his first call up he was pretty damn bad. He was playing a lot with karlsson which offers some benefits and challenges though.
What i saw from Claessan was a lot of just bonehead plays in the dzone where he made mistakes due to not knowing where to be or misjudging spacing which led to a lot of goals scored against. I remains to be seen if he can iron out those issues

Last edited:

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I 100% agree that Claesson was better than Boro. He's going to beat him out of a spot in training camp imo. He's just better at just about everything including two key areas in skating and handling the puck.

He's still only 23 as well. As a D man, that's still a pup. He's still got room to grow as a player. Since he's been around for a while, people kinda regard him as a 25 or 26 year old.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Excellent. He is better than Boro, except for one department. Hitting/Physicality. A Claesson - Wideman bottom pairing would do well if given some sheltering.

SpezzaNoLookDropPass

May 25, 2016
He's an improvement over Boro, although he didn't look the greatest in his call up that could easily be explained, still a very young defender playing on the top paring with a generational defenseman such as Karlsson who is sometimes a defensive liability (He does more right than wrong) but some more skilled and experienced would struggle playing with Karlsson. Now with that being said I believe that this is a solid extension. He's an NHL ready defender imo assuming Chabot goes back to junior Claesson should start on the 3rd paring with Wideman, it would allow him to get used to playing with a puck moving defenseman at the NHL level and then we could slowly progress him onto a higher paring

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad