CL: Round of 16 Draw

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Juventus hasn't lost a game in nearly three months and have only conceded 1 goal in that time period (16 matches). Going to be tough for Spurs. Madrid/PSG will be fun.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Poch would be a f***ing idiot if this is a deciding factor in the contract negotiatons. It's not like I fared our chances in this CL tie anyway. Just play him.

Then again, I believe that Matt Law is just stirring shit.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Juventus hasn't lost a game in nearly three months and have only conceded 1 goal in that time period (16 matches). Going to be tough for Spurs. Madrid/PSG will be fun.

In their last 17 matches:

Juventus 14W 2T 1L +29 goals
Spurs 11W 5T 1L + 26 goals

I think if Spurs can get a draw, they should sign up for that now and be thrilled with it.

Reactions: Fro

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Would hate to lose Alderweireld, but got no issues with him not playing if there is an issue with his fitness or something has gone bad in his contract talks. Obviously impossible to say who would be in the wrong if it is the latter, but Spurs haven’t got a history of freezing players out. Not that they got much experience with contracts running out - as the usually don’t allow that to happen.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Credit to Juventus for their consistency, but beating bottom half teams in Italy is quite different than Spurs.

Obviously Juventus are favorites, but Spurs got a fair chance if they can play two games at their best.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Would hate to lose Alderweireld, but got no issues with him not playing if there is an issue with his fitness or something has gone bad in his contract talks. Obviously impossible to say who would be in the wrong if it is the latter, but Spurs haven’t got a history of freezing players out. Not that they got much experience with contracts running out - as the usually don’t allow that to happen.

He froze out Walker to an extent.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Difficult to evaluate. We kept on winning without Walker - and Walker played like #"!%" when he played in that period. Then it is difficult to evaluate if that was due to him being frozen out in the first place.

In any case Walker wasn't frozen out because he refused to sign a new contract.

Going a bit off-topic here I guess. The whole situation with Alderweireld is a bit odd. If he wanted to stay he should have signed by now. I don't blame him if he wants to leave though. He reach his peak quite late in his career and probably hasn't made nearly as much money as many of the players you would now compare him with. His next contract will most likely be his first and last really big one. Even if he is an excellent player I can see why Spurs might not want to break the bank for him. Much more important to keep Kane, Eriksen etc. longer term.

Then again Pochettino might be telling the truth. Rumours around new contracts for Kane and Alderweireld being announced soon. Obviously still hoping that is the case.

Sanchez is a bit erratic, but up until the last minute against Arsenal he played really well. One on one he is the best defender we got. Not given that someone coming off an injury will play better than him. Also - before his injury Alderweireld wasn't as dominate as he was last season. Vertonghen looked the better player - which I never thought I would say.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Boggles my mind that he is just 21. Had a bit of a stinker against Pool I guess. Could work on his passing. Would also like to see him use his strength more to bully attackers. Otherwise he is a rock.

Larger talent than Dele.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad