CL Matchweek 3

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Arsenal, Milan , Zenit and other 3rd placed CL teams might give BVB a good challenge

TBH, Napoli isn't exactly a lock to go through either.
Shakhtar won the home game vs them and won vs Feyenord away. Napoli might need a convincing win at home vs Donetsk and hope that the Ukranians don't get a result at home vs Man City.

MJG

Sep 18, 2007
Somewhere
Thanks.

Can’t agree with Dier. I usually hate him as a CD, but thought he covered space excellently. Haven’t seen the penalty in reply so can’t say if he should have anticipated that situation better. I thought him playing in the middle made him look much more comfortable then being on the right. Also thought Sanchez looked better on the right. Never understood why Pochettino played him centrally. Should be Sanchez - Alderweireld- Vertonghen with all fit.

Agree about Dier. Has his share of ups and downs but played a strong game yesterday. Much better in the middle of a back 3 than on the right. As for Sanchez and Alderweireld. I think the reason he prefers Toby out wide is because it allows him the freedom to get a little forward and play the long balls he loves so much. For that reason, I get the logic. But having seen Sanchez play RCB so well I wouldn't be surprised if Toby plays in the middle when Spurs play tough competition.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Arsenal, Milan , Zenit and other 3rd placed CL teams might give BVB a good challenge
I wouldn't count Zenit out yet. They could still progress. They probably only need to draw Sevilla.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
What ? Zenit is in EL :)
lol yeah sorry it's early and I was thinking of Spartak.

But yeah the EL should be tight this year. Lots of good teams. And adding the 3rd place teams from the CL like Spartak/Sevilla, Porto/Monaco, Dortmund, Shaktar/Napoli, Roma/Atletico and even Celtic is a decent team.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Even if Sanchez played well on the right, I'd probably prefer for him to be the middle man who makes safe plays and stays back. His speed can help us recover when someone gets past our relatively high defensive line.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Nitpicking, but Firmino should get the goal that was given to Salah I think (giving him the hattrick). I also thought he was MotM...nice to see him pull out a big performance. Still our best player especially when he's on. I've been very happy with Salah as well; he's a bit different than what I expected. He doesn't really carry the play. He's more someone that uses great off the ball movement, is slick in tight spaces and is really good at creating space with his acceleration. He doesn't actually have a ton of top end pace though...multiple times this season he's been clear through and the defence has caught up to him at full sprint.

Hopefully sooner than later we can get Mane, Firmino and Salah out there with Coutinho behind them on a more regular basis so they can build some chemistry. Though Coutinho/Firmino/Salah has looked wonderful.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
If Mertens hadn't mucked his penalty it could be 2-2 against City. Very impressive that.

City could have scored many more with better finish. They took their foot off the gas and almost paid for it. Why can't you give Ederson some credit though. That was a nice save.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
City could have scored many more with better finish. They took their foot off the gas and almost paid for it. Why can't you give Ederson some credit though. That was a nice save.

I give Ederson credit for being in the net when Mertens basically shot it right at him; there wasn't really anything in the save. City fully deserved to win that game and were much better, but that doesn't mean teams that don't have as many chances can't get a result if certain things go their way. It happens often with Liverpool. lol

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Even if Sanchez played well on the right, I'd probably prefer for him to be the middle man who makes safe plays and stays back. His speed can help us recover when someone gets past our relatively high defensive line.

I would argue pace is more important out right. Much more likely to be chasing players over longer distances in that position. Something that happened several times for both Sanchez and Alderweireld yesterday. It also allows Sanchez to be more aggressive in duels as there is someone covering behind him. To me it seems like Sanchez plays his best football when he is allowed to be aggressive.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Now I don’t believe Spurs will mess this up and I find the comments about “Spursing” it quite ridiculous. This Spurs team is very different from the teams that have given Spurs that reputation. Still no games are given 3 points so...

My comments about spurs'ing it up and spursy-ness were largely tongue in cheek

Depends on the other 3rd placed CL teams & Bosz, but BVB have a lot more talent than Arsenal, Milan or Zenit.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
We've heard about that so call BVB talent the past few years many times...On paper Zenit are at least as good if not better.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Either you're overrating BVB again or Tuchel and Bosz are terrible coaches if you think they have a lot more talent than those teams.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
We've heard about that so call BVB talent the past few years many times...On paper Zenit are at least as good if not better.

Oooof

Either you're overrating BVB again or Tuchel and Bosz are terrible coaches if you think they have a lot more talent than those teams.

And what exactly have Milan or Zenit done in comparison to Dortmund the past few years.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Nevermind that BVB haven't had a midfield partner for Weigl like Dahoud since Tuchel's first season, when BVB had their most impressive BuLi campaign. Bosz inspires little faith in cup competition, but the talent he has dwarfs Milan & Zenit's...and I say this as someone who is almost always stuck defending the RPL and talent level in Russia. But Dortmund have a significant advantage in midfield and attack, even in defense they'd have an advantage if they were fitter and Bosz better at organizing his backpine. Zenit's a talented team, but there's a significant gap from them to the corporate Borussia.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
If they can't beat the likes of APOEL they're not

Maybe yes maybe no. Everyone drops points in games they shouldn’t.

Atletico drew 0-0 against ten man Qarabag. What does that mean?

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
BVB usual overrating. Nothing new on this board. Hipster team and all that.
They're good, but they're not that good.
It was stated here that they're more talented on paper than Arsenal.
Sanchez alone is more talented than any player they have.
Ozil too.

Reactions: All Might

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
BVB usual overrating. Nothing new on this board. Hipster team and all that.
Ozil too.

I honestly think Dortmund is better than any team in the EL field. They are a little overrated but should be able to make a similar if not better run than they had when Liverpool beat them.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
Bundesliga team usual overrating. Nothing new on this board. Hipster team and all that.
Ozil too.
*fixed

The German league is clearly the 5th best in Europe. Aside from Bayern Munich, the rest of the teams would be mid table clubs in England/Italy/Spain.

Reactions: All Might

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Sanchez yes, but there's a few Dortmund players I'd take over Ozil.

That said I agree with the initial sentiment that Dortmund are being overrated by a couple on paper. When Reus comes back (if he stays healthy lulz) he's up there with Sanchez. Still, Dortmund are right around the same as some of the other top teams in the EL.

And what exactly have Milan or Zenit done in comparison to Dortmund the past few years.

I never said they had done anything. We're talking about talent and I was just saying that they've certainly underperformed if they are 'significantly more talented' than some of the other teams that'll be in the EL after the CL group stages as well. If teams like Napoli, Roma, Atletico and Monaco end up there I wouldn't even say they're a top 3 team.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad