CL Group Stage Final Round

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Is any player in the world happier about his team's recent coaching change than Coman? He was on his way out under Ancelotti, now he's playing the best football of his life with Jupp behind the bench.

Reactions: Vipers31

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Oblak this game has been unreal

Mignolet in net and this is a 5-1 chelsea lead.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Daniel Alves is absolutely catastrophic in this game.

Truth. Kimmich has been beautiful in the bit I've watched, but Alves being so awful has certainly made the young german look even better in comparison. I'm still pissed Bayern has converted him into a FB, but god damn if he isn't still a spectacular player even at that less impactful position.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Lackluster performance by PSG. They should've won by a decent margin. Neymar was awful, probably his worse match with PSG. Dani, the midfield trio (especially Draxler) all sucked in this match. Kurzawa was a ghost. The only silver lining was Mbappé who had a fantastic match. PSG really struggles when they had the ball, terrible build up... couldn't even get the ball to MCN in the 1st half. The Bayern keeper had a good day too.

Why did Emery wait till the end of the match to sub Lo Celso for Draxler is beyond me.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
a) No way in hell United win the Champions League
b) He wouldn't be eligible to play anyway
He should still come to United because playing with his buddies Pogba and Martial are super important as evidenced by Neymar. Also it was a joke and so is this.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Lackluster performance by PSG. They should've won by a decent margin. Neymar was awful, probably his worse match with PSG. Dani, the midfield trio (especially Draxler) all sucked in this match. Kurzawa was a ghost. The only silver lining was Mbappé who had a fantastic match. PSG really struggles when they had the ball, terrible build up... couldn't even get the ball to MCN in the 1st half. The Bayern keeper had a good day too.

Why did Emery wait till the end of the match to sub Lo Celso for Draxler is beyond me.
Thought the midfielders were OK, with the exception of Draxler. Mbappe was great. Cavani worked his ass off defensively but didn't do much offensively except for that wonderful assist. Didn't get good service either.
Neymar had two flashes and slept for the rest of the game.
Kurzawa was transparant, Marqui and TS were OK (hope TS's injury isn't too bad). Verratti was very good I thought.
But the black hole was Dani Alves. Completely lost.

Reactions: John Pedro

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
For Bayern it was the Tolisso and Coman show. Coman because his explosiveness broke Dani Alves legs and back a few times. Made plenty of good choice and of course added two assists. MOTM was Tolisso. Sure he scored 2, but even then, he was the boss in midfield. Oriented Bayern's game, passed to Kimmich and Alaba to create space. Kudos to him.

Lewa worked hard and got a rather crappy goal, but still a goal. Sule is still waaaaaaay too slow IMO. He'll get burnt by speedy players. Heck at one point he raced against Cavani for the ball and Cavani burnt him but pushed his ball way too far, which didn't stop Sule from an absolutely awful tackle. He was on a yellow. Ref hesitated but he knew if he called foul, that would have been a red. Since Cavani had pushed the ball too far anyway, he decided not to call a foul. That's awfully lucky for Sule. Had Cavani had a decent touch on that ball he would have been sent off.
Ulreich was surprisingly good.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Thought the midfielders were OK, with the exception of Draxler. Mbappe was great. Cavani worked his ass off defensively but didn't do much offensively except for that wonderful assist. Didn't get good service either.
Neymar had two flashes and slept for the rest of the game.
Kurzawa was transparant, Marqui and TS were OK (hope TS's injury isn't too bad). Verratti was very good I thought.
But the black hole was Dani Alves. Completely lost.

Verrati didn't have the best 1st half, but indeed was good in the second half (amazing pass to Cavani leading to Mbappé goal). Still think PSG needs to buy a 5, Rabiot works well there but he's much better as an 8.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Rabiot has progressed there. I used to think like you did but have changed my stance on this lately. He has had some tremendous games there. Sure it neglects some of his strengths, but if PSG can gets used to play with a regista, he'd be a perfect one.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Emery will get so much heat from the French media lol. He had Pastore, Lo Celso and Di Maria on the bench and waited until the dying minutes to sub Draxler off. Unbelievable.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
ADM is as good as gone. He doesn't even care when on the pitch.
Pastore didn't shine in Strasbourg either (but he needs to get some rythm).

But yeah, given Draxler's game, Lo Celso or Pastore should have played.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Hell of a game by Rudy too

That's a player I have to give Jogi credit for becoming a fan of before me. I used to gripe about Rudy's over-cautiousness with the ball but he's really blossomed ever since Nagelsmann got his hands on him. To the point where I don't mind having him fill-in in Kroos/Weigl's spot until Jogi trusts Geiger & Maier.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
That's a player I have to give Jogi credit for becoming a fan of before me. I used to gripe about Rudy's over-cautiousness with the ball but he's really blossomed ever since Nagelsmann got his hands on him. To the point where I don't mind having him fill-in in Kroos/Weigl's spot until Jogi trusts Geiger & Maier.

I liked him before Nagelsmann coached him and didn't mind him on the national team but yeah, he benefited a lot from Nagelsmann as well. I think he was actually already a good 6 with good technique. I always like the stories of players who come to prominence late in their careers. Reminds me a bit of Olli Kirch.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
ADM is as good as gone. He doesn't even care when on the pitch.
Pastore didn't shine in Strasbourg either (but he needs to get some rythm).

But yeah, given Draxler's game, Lo Celso or Pastore should have played.

I’m not one for taking personal shots at players or questioning their effort, cause what do i know, but ADM is such a coward.

He’s quit on two straight clubs. He makes huge money and visibly just decides he’s not interested. It’s criminal.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I liked him before Nagelsmann coached him and didn't mind him on the national team but yeah, he benefited a lot from Nagelsmann as well. I think he was actually already a good 6 with good technique. I always like the stories of players who come to prominence late in their careers. Reminds me a bit of Olli Kirch.

I didn't mind him as a player, but just didn't think he added anything to the NT before his ascent over the past two seasons. Maybe it was just having to see him in such a prominent role for such a well organized possession team to fully appreciate him; but I used to gripe about his NT inclusion every time.

And given my open love for Raffael, Stindl, Kramer & Kruse; I don't have to tell anyone how much I love to see players become true difference makers latter in their careers. So I'd love for him to be a part of a german title winner before the Geiger's, Maier's & Meyer's of the future push him out of the NT picture.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Absolutely pathetic campaign from Benfica. I didn't expect them to advance but 6 losses and 1 goal scored, in a group that isn't that tough. Holy shit.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
I’m not one for taking personal shots at players or questioning their effort, cause what do i know, but ADM is such a coward.

He’s quit on two straight clubs. He makes huge money and visibly just decides he’s not interested. It’s criminal.

Maybe he's saving his energy so that he can help Leo take Argentina to the promised land in Russia next year. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad