CIS vs WJ Team

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Story Link --> CIS All-Stars vs WJ

I like the new proposed all-start team. It gives some exposure to players in the other conferences and makes the CIS team a lot stronger. The 11 players from West/East is an odd breakdown.

I don't know if the intent was to make the CIS team stronger, but I don't think the HC WJ Staff were very happy with 10-3 & 6-0 wins.

I don't know whose going to cover the travel, but I hope it's Hockey Canada. They may say they're poor, but the CIS is poorer.

My 5 selections from the AUS would be (assuming there are no exam conflicts)
(F) Maillet -UNB
(F) Saulnier -Moncton
(F) Locke -StFX
(D) Pufahl -Acadia
(D) Chiarlitti -StFX

(spares)
(F) Andrews -UPEI
(F) Brace -UNB
(D) Murray -UNB
(D) Petgrave -UNB

I know what you're thinking - Petgrave? but he is a second best +14 and can make things happen (despite some gaffes at times).

I do hope these games are broadcast.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
It's 11 from the OUA and 6 each from the AUS and CW.

I'm not even going to guess the 6 AUS players as there are so many good choices. But I would imagine they will try to take one player each from 6 teams.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
I should pay better attention.

My sixth choice will be
(F) Andrews -UPEI

Updated Spares list
(F) Saulnier -Moncton
(F) Farrell -Acadia
(F) Brace -UNB
(D) Murray -UNB
(D) Petgrave -UNB
(D) Doornbosch -Saint Mary's

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Is Maillet still injured? There is a possibility that the team will only want 1 defenseman or even none from the AUS. With regards to travel, the CIS may pick guys who live in southern Ontario and will be home anyway.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Is Maillet still injured? There is a possibility that the team will only want 1 defenseman or even none from the AUS. With regards to travel, the CIS may pick guys who live in southern Ontario and will be home anyway.

UNB's exam period is 10th-19th (Alberta is 10th - 22nd), and the games are on the 12/13th. I don't think anyone is home yet for Christmas.

This will boil down to who does/doesn't have exam conflicts, helpful professors, etc. as to who attends in the end.

With six players each from the CW & AUS, I would guess it's 3 Forwards and 3 Dman or possible 4 & 2.

Last edited:

Dutch

May 17, 2006
Trois-Rivières
From what I've been told, when it comes to the OUA players, the CIS team will be allowed to pick only one player per team.

If the CIS wants defense, M. Lefebvre (UQTR) and Labrecque (McGill) should be great fits. I could also see Baillie in the nets from Queen's, Hinse from Concordia, Steven Anthony from Windsor, Brett Welychka from Carleton, Colin Behenna from Waterloo.

The toughest thing is going to pick a balanced team, with role players. But then again, it's only two games... altough it seems like a great opportunity to test some players going into the 2017 Universiades.

Last edited:

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Dutch, historically the goalies have come from TC.

Edit: But, after reading the press release where it states a 23 man roster, perhaps not.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Dutch, historically the goalies have come from TC.

Edit: But, after reading the press release where it states a 23 man roster, perhaps not.

I was wondering about that as well. Normally Team Canada uses their own goalies in these match-ups with the CIS to evaluate them. However, if the CIS team wants to get any practice time in before playing the kiddies, then they will need goalies.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
My hunch is that they prefer to bring "conference" forward lines and defensive pairings, so there will be at least some familiarity.

Because of that, I do think they will select three forwards, two defencemen and a goalie from the AUS and CanWest.

Exams are obviously going to be a huge factor in who can go. A lot of these student-athletes are serious about their education. Exams were a factor when the AUS all-starts played Team Canada years ago in Halifax (which was sort of Joel Ward's coming out party).

I also agree that there may be a bias towards selecting hockey players who live in the GTA or southern Ontario, unless Hockey Canada throws some cash at the CIS.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
So do you think they will select Gardiner MacDougall as head coach of the CIS all-start?

He is the reigning coach of the year, and surely the rest of Canada can't have as much a grudge against him as the AUS coaches.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
So do you think they will select Gardiner MacDougall as head coach of the CIS all-start?

He is the reigning coach of the year, and surely the rest of Canada can't have as much a grudge against him as the AUS coaches.

Not to mention a multiple recipient of that award as well as the prestigious Jean-Marie De Koninck Coaching Excellence Award.

Unless they go with the FISU Coaching Staff (Queen's Brett Gibson) and the CW and AUS coaches as Assistants.

As for Goalies - that's a good question. In the past - the goalies have come from TC.

leafhky88

Mar 16, 2009
Toronto
Based on 23 roster spots for 2 games, I am assuming 2 goaltenders. I anticipate both will come from the OUA (who have more spots to use), and one will be Kevin Bailie from Queens.

My guess to the breakdown would be:

14 forwards - (4 AUS, 4 CW, 6 OUA)

7 defencemen - (2 AUS, 2 CW, 3 OUA)

2 goaltenders - (2 OUA)

Given the OUA gets 11 spots (less I will assume 2 goaltenders), I will assume 4 and 5 skaters for each of OUA West and OUA East roughly. If Dutch is correct (and only one player/skater per team) I would predict:

My OUA picks:
F - Colin Behenna (Waterloo)
F - Justin Larson (York)
F - Olivier Hinse (Concordia)
F - Steven Anthony (Windsor)
F - Brett Welychka (Carleton)
F - Chris Maniccia (Brock)

D - Alex Basso (Ryerson)
D - Sam Lebreque (McGill)
D - Martin Lefebvre (UQTR)

G - Kevin Bailie (Queens)
G - Chris Perugini (York)

HM: Liam Heelis (McGill) if teams can only send 1 player
HM: Mike Moffat (Waterloo) if teams can only send 1 player
HM: Jake Cardwell (Brock) if teams can only send 1 player
HM: Jeremie Fraser (Carleton) if teams can only send 1 player

Note: included 2 from York, but only 1 skater

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
My understanding is that both the AUS and CW will bring 3 forwards, 2 defensemen and 1 goalie. Tip of the helmet to 'Foyle on this one.

My AUS roster is: Boes, Murray, Pufahl, Locke, Alain Saulnier, MacAulay.

I pick Boes for a couple of reasons. If he doesn't go and Parks does, then that means taking a player from STU or Dal. If Owsley goes then Locke does not and you're picking a player from STU, Dal or UPEI. I don't think UPEI has a player who "deserves" to go.

As far as the AUS coach is, I can't divulge that. :laugh:There is a good chance that Gibby would be the Head Coach. Makes sense to me.

Edit: Gibby is not the Head Coach, but he is on the staff. Head Coach is from OUA, Gibby, AUS and CW.

Last edited:

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I hope they pick the team with an eye towards speed...I find that is usually the CIS' biggest disadvantage when playing against NCAA/AHL teams (and I am sure the WJ team as well).

leafhky88

Mar 16, 2009
Toronto
Overall, this is nice to see. Whether this extent of effort was needed to make the games more competitive is uncertain. In years past they could have just used players from Waterloo/Lakehead or Waterloo/Western (when Lakehead was stronger) for OUA games as they did with Regina/Saskatchewan out West. The more recent OUA games have been lopsided due to the teams involved (Ryerson/Toronto being mid to lower end teams in the years played in what has become likely the weakest CIS division). However, given the recent selections, I think something had to be done.

Involving merely other OUA schools could have worked, but bringing AUS and CW players is both exciting and will no doubt strengthen the CIS team and serve as a better tuneup/selection tool for the Canadian WJ squad. Every year when a "CIS All-Star" team plays the WJ team, there are typically groans around this board as the term "all-star" is thrown around so loosely. Almost every year this brings up the discussion how it would be much better to see a truer CIS representative. However, what we all would have preferred to see is usually dismissed due to money, travel and logistics. The fact this is happening, given the potential distance involved in the CW/AUS travel is shocking, and also quite exciting. I really would not have expected this to come about.

I bought tickets to one of the games last year, but could not make it out. I plan to buy tickets again this year, and should be able to attend. I will mark this one on the calendar.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I don't know what happened last year with UofT-Ryerson team, but in the past the "Allstars" have used TC goalies, usually the ones who get cut. With the CIS having their own goalies I look forward to a couple of good games which I hope will showcase the league.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I pick Boes for a couple of reasons. If he doesn't go and Parks does, then that means taking a player from STU or Dal.

I must have had too many chicken wings when I wrote this. Either Boes or Parks can be the goalie and not upset the applecart. My choice is Boes, but either would work.

BramptonFan09

Jun 2, 2012
Brampton, ON
Based on 23 roster spots for 2 games, I am assuming 2 goaltenders. I anticipate both will come from the OUA (who have more spots to use), and one will be Kevin Bailie from Queens.

My guess to the breakdown would be:

14 forwards - (4 AUS, 4 CW, 6 OUA)

7 defencemen - (2 AUS, 2 CW, 3 OUA)

2 goaltenders - (2 OUA)

Given the OUA gets 11 spots (less I will assume 2 goaltenders), I will assume 4 and 5 skaters for each of OUA West and OUA East roughly. If Dutch is correct (and only one player/skater per team) I would predict:

My OUA picks:
F - Colin Behenna (Waterloo)
F - Justin Larson (York)
F - Olivier Hinse (Concordia)
F - Steven Anthony (Windsor)
F - Brett Welychka (Carleton)
F - Chris Maniccia (Brock)

D - Alex Basso (Ryerson)
D - Sam Lebreque (McGill)
D - Martin Lefebvre (UQTR)

G - Kevin Bailie (Queens)
G - Chris Perugini (York)

HM: Liam Heelis (McGill) if teams can only send 1 player
HM: Mike Moffat (Waterloo) if teams can only send 1 player
HM: Jake Cardwell (Brock) if teams can only send 1 player
HM: Jeremie Fraser (Carleton) if teams can only send 1 player

Note: included 2 from York, but only 1 skater

lhkjh

Last edited:

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Camp is a good hockey guy plus he's connected with Hockey Canada. Gibby can use this to help him at FISU. Sirant has been around forever and this may be a thanks to him. The Acadia AD, Kevin Dickie was asked to put this thing together so no surprise that Burns is there. I have no issue with any one of the staff; I think it's a good mix. But, I'll reserve judgment on Burnsie until I see if he selects my team. I also like the concept of a National team from across the CIS. Any exposure is good for the league.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
First interesting tidbit: of the 11 OUA reps, 8 are from the OUA East. Only Bradford (Windsor), Maniccia (Brock) and Behenna (Waterloo) rep the OUA West.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad